Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many of you know I was looking into powder coating my front and rear calipers black. Well the shop emailed me saying they dont advise doing it cause it would retain heat. So I am wondering what you guys think. Plus maybe you know of more options? Do any places make black calipers? I would even go for gray or Ti in color...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Perferd,

PJ1 makes a spray paint in gloss, flat and satin black that is for engine blocks. I have used it before and haven't had any problems with their product. You might want to look into using their product. I believe that their engine paint is good for temps up to 500 degrees F.

Good luck with your search. :hello:

·
Registered
2,644 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thats a lot of money....can wait to start spending hahahaha...Thanks bro

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
There are caliper paint kits out there for the tuner import crowd. Probably the easier route regardless.

Try http://www.eastwood.com.

I'm pretty sure my friend has powder coated calipers before.
They may technically be right about heat retention but how significant?

I am also pretty sure the aftermarket calipers on my other bud's ZX12 are powder-coated red by manufac. Unless they are painted. Never thought about it that much, but they look powder-coated more than painted. Have to check that out.

What about the red Porsche calipers from turbo or upgrade, they look powdercoated too? Maybe just painted?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Spacecoast 10R said:
Perferd,

PJ1 makes a spray paint in gloss, flat and satin black that is for engine blocks. I have used it before and haven't had any problems with their product. You might want to look into using their product. I believe that their engine paint is good for temps up to 500 degrees F.

Good luck with your search. :hello:

Wouldn't do this. I had the paint (not sure what kind but it was "brake" paint) on fire (on the calipers) during a track day with my car. My brake were centrally vented with air scoops too. Granted the 10r brakes would be cooled a little better and has much less weight to stop.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Tito said:
Wouldn't do this. I had the paint (not sure what kind but it was "brake" paint) on fire (on the calipers) during a track day with my car. My brake were centrally vented with air scoops too. Granted the 10r brakes would be cooled a little better and has much less weight to stop.
:eek2: That would suck.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Tito said:
If he is racing there would be a lot more heat generated than street use. Does anyone know what temps we are looking at on the calipers?
If in doubt, I would err on the safe side and have them powder coated and not real thick or alot of coats.
Sorry to hear about the fire. That would really suck having that happen on a bike.
The thought about the paint was just an instant idea. I don't think the paint would stand up to any brake fluid that you might get on there anyhow. Well good luck with the search.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts