Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm getting my wheels powder coated. i have the rear taken off, the sprocket and rotor are remove, but there is a bearing inside the wheel with rubber bushings on each side. after the wheels are powdercoated they will go into an oven that is 425 degrees, do i need to be worried about these bushings? it doesn't seem like they are removable with the tools that i have.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Yes , you will have to remove them, its a little easier than it looks , you may end up damaging the rubber seals though.

You can tap the bearings out if you dont have a puller, by using a 12 inch extension and a hammer and tapping from the opposite end to the bearing.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. i may see if this place can remove it for me, i'm buying tires from them so hopefully they can hook it up.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I would wait to take them out after you get them powder coated so that the powdercoating doesnt get in the bearing race and put new ones in after you get the rims back

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would wait to take them out after you get them powder coated so that the powdercoating doesnt get in the bearing race and put new ones in after you get the rims back
so you're saying take them out after the powder coating but before the oven? i'm just going to mask that part with tape for when he paints over them.

where would i get new bearings? kawasaki dealer?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
hey heads up fellas!!!

The dust seals and bearings should be removed prior to the powder coating process let alone the baking process. I suspect a good PC will inform you of this as well due to the bearings containing grease/lube that will ooze out in the oven and ruin the job.

BD

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
so you're saying take them out after the powder coating but before the oven? i'm just going to mask that part with tape for when he paints over them.

where would i get new bearings? kawasaki dealer?
REMOVE THE BEARINGS and save yourself a major headache of a fugged up job.
The PC will mask off the areas(rotor, bearing surfaces etc) needed as part of the job.
The bearings can be had from KHI or any reputable bearing retailer once your able to get the bearing part #'s that are stamped in them.

These are the most recent ones i had done.

BD

Attachments

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
REMOVE THE BEARINGS and save yourself a major headache of a fugged up job.
The PC will mask off the areas(rotor, bearing surfaces etc) needed as part of the job.
The bearings can be had from KHI or any reputable bearing retailer once your able to get the bearing part #'s that are stamped in them.

BD
quality information, thanks pal.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I had two sets of rims PCed in last few months and I had to remove everything. Powder gets in the bearing housing but not a problem you can clean it up before inserting the bearings. There is no need to get new bearings if you removed them carefully without damaging the bearing seals.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
If a puller is used then most likely no damage will occur but if the caveman method( a 12-14" flat nosed punch & hammer) is used to literally beat on the inner race of the bearing during removal most deffinately replace them.

BD

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If a puller is used then most likely no damage will occur but if the caveman method( a 12-14" flat nosed punch & hammer) is used to literally beat on the inner race of the bearing during removal most deffinately replace them.

BD
I made some feeble attempts at the latter and it quickly proved to be futile. I'm going to call the tire guys see if they can do it for me because it requires 2 special tools:

Special Tools - Bearing Remover Head, 25 × 28 [C]: 57001-1346
Bearing Remover Shaft, 13 : 57001-1377

<3 the service, maintenance and parts manuals. ()

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I made some feeble attempts at the latter and it quickly proved to be futile. I'm going to call the tire guys see if they can do it for me because it requires 2 special tools.
Its a bit tedious job i can attest but i've managed the caveman method about 6 times with success. If your not comfortable attempting it then look elsewhere for help.

BD

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a bit tedious job i can attest but i've managed the caveman method about 6 times with success. If your not comfortable attempting it then look elsewhere for help.

BD
yeah, either that or purchase the tools, which is what would be ideal IMO.

do you have the full size of your sig pic?

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
will be doing this myself soon, also will be doing calipers, forks(DA GOLD PART) The caliper bracket, basically everything not black already, once i get my oven hooked up. the bike should look comp. diff. next year. will post pics as i go.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Holy Shit Batman,

those RED wheels look AWESOME!

JJ
Yup they turned out very nice.

I had them mask with plastic film as a base and then duct tape for protection against the blasting then clean for a primer coat then final coat.

BD

1 - 20 of 64 Posts