Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm taking a chance here. I've searched, studied, made phone calls and talked to a few different people but still haven't been given any information to sway me one way or the other. I'm positive that this has been covered on here but I haven't found it-yet.

So... I have a TRE question. :headshake yeah, I know... FNG here.

I've noticed that there are a lot of folks running the Healtech unit instead of Ivan's. I'm just curious as to why. Is there a quality control issue with one or the other? Performance should be the same from what I've been reading. Ivan's is a lot cheaper. GI Pro has a gear indicator and a few different settings. So, before I put on a flame resistant suit, would anyone care to offer their opinions or direct me to a prior discussion that covers this?

If it makes any difference, I've got an 06 10R with no Power Commander/Bazaaz and the stock exhaust. I have every intention of keeping the exhaust stock unless I stumbled across a full system Sato or something at a rediculously low price OR a very high quality side mount exhaust. Being quiet and stealthy has it's advantages.

Ok, I'm putting on the flame suit. Let 'er rip... and thank you for the help.

·
GEN II Driver
2,900 Posts
preference mostly. i have the gipro on an '06 and really like it. run the hard setting and noticed a difference. bike hits harder and the gear indicator is very nice too.

some other mods that are a great bang for the buck: 1/5th throttle insert and -1f.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I went with the XTRE mainly because it retains the factory gear indicator function. It also has an option for soft, hard, or neutral settings. Another plus is that when your bike is in Neutral, the timing is stock.

·
Registered
206 Posts
preference mostly. i have the gipro on an '06 and really like it. run the hard setting and noticed a difference. bike hits harder and the gear indicator is very nice too.

some other mods that are a great bang for the buck: 1/5th throttle insert and -1f.
:+1:

I have an 07 and actually bought one of both but only installed the one with a gear indicator. I love the indicator and wouldn't change it for anything. To me that is worth it alone but the tre is amazing. Just preference if you don't want the indicator then ivans or similar would be great.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Where is hesaves these days? LOL. Like these guys said, there's not really too much performance issues but the gear indicator is worth every penny. I for one had shifted into 7th gear 1 too many times. Great little product. As for your exhaust I have a&r race baffles, a cat eliminator, pc3 with a decent map and she rips real nice for real cheap. Definetly not quiet though, but if to think you're being stealthy with even that stock exhaust you're foolin yourself, LOL.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, sounds like there isn't much difference. I think I'd like having the gear indicator so GIPro it is.

As for exhaust, it's pretty rare to find a bike around California that isn't running an obnoxiously noisy aftermarket set up. My RC51 had Sato Banzais on it and while it sounded great-there was nothing quite like it-it was absolutely offensive.

I haven't owned an inline in years and personally don't care much for the sound. But since Honda has their collective heads up their asses (and have had them there for years) and won't build a proper V4, I went for the next best thing-a ZX10. Now that I've got the suspension pretty well sorted out, I'm loving this bike. I ought to mail my drivers license in to the DMV before I get the tickets and just save myself some time. :lol: Power corrupts!

I know I'll crack eventually and buy a PC and exhaust. It's part of owning a bike. I'm trying really hard to postpone that for as long as possible. I'd LOVE to do a trackday at Laguna and there is no way to run an aftermarket system there and pass. Hell, you can't cut a loud fart without triggering the sound machine in Monterey...

Thanks again for the help. I'll likely be ordering some GI Pro goodies soon.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ok..I've had both. I currently have a Healtech TRE on full hard all the time and it's also my second one...the first on went bad. Healtech replaced it no questions asked and we figured that my all weather commuting killed the first one. The only real difference is the gear indicator...that's the only diff to me. The other benefit is that I can disable the Healtech TRE as fast as I can pull my seat off. You can't do that with the Ivan's. I had to disable my first one because it was malfunctioning and going nuts. We think the second will be fine because I set it on full hard and covered the button with tape to not get condensation and screw it up.

Hopefully that helps...

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Ok..I've had both. I currently have a Healtech TRE on full hard all the time and it's also my second one...the first on went bad. Healtech replaced it no questions asked and we figured that my all weather commuting killed the first one. The only real difference is the gear indicator...that's the only diff to me. The other benefit is that I can disable the Healtech TRE as fast as I can pull my seat off. You can't do that with the Ivan's. I had to disable my first one because it was malfunctioning and going nuts. We think the second will be fine because I set it on full hard and covered the button with tape to not get condensation and screw it up.

Hopefully that helps...
:+1:

i have the GI pro on my 09 and its bad ass i really love the gear indicator...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I haven't ridden it yet.

All I can say about the XTRE so far is that I did feel like I put a good quality part on my bike.

I bought a TRE in 2003 for my Gixxer1k and I felt like I just paid too much for what I got. Not that it was expensive, just simple

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.