Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a big off about three months ago at a track day. Most of my gear was destroyed. I decided it would be in my best interest to upgrade my gear fully and be the most protected at the track that I could be. at the time of my crash I was in what I considered to be mid level gear and after fracturing my pelvis I felt the upgrade was needed. (the Crash is documented in these forums (Hit from behind at Trackday) by Techx.
While every crash is different I wanted peace of mind knowing I was doing everything I could to ensure my own safety. With a new baby in the house I want to be around for the long haul. So I set off on researching!

The purpose of this post is so other members can see what other people value as great protection for a Trackday or what members feel best protects them regardless of price.

My gear list before crash:

Suit: AXO "indy" model
Boots: Sidi Vertigo air
Gloves: AGVsport Laguna gloves
Back / chest protector: Icon stryker vest
Helmet: Joe Rocket RKT prime Vector

Gear List after crash:

Suit: RS Taichi GP max R0072
Boots: Sidi Vertigo Air (the only piece I did not have to replace)
Gloves: KNOX Handroid V14
Back/ chest protector: Forcefield harness extreme flite
Hip protection: Forcfield action shorts w/ pro armor
Helmet: Scorpion R2000

As you can see I significantly upgraded my gear, I chose items that were CE rated to the highest standards, And thankfully in my situation money was not an issue.

The two items I value the most after the crash is the RS taichi suit and the forcefield shorts. The suit was the only "off the rack" major brand that had 1.5mm thick cow hide used. the industry standard is 1.2-1.3mm. The problem I also had was not many manufacturers disclosed if their leathers were drum dyed or where they obtained their hide from. I also preferred to know where the suit is made from my preference is from japan or Italy. Many seem to be made in china or Ukraine and are mass-produced.

The shorts after putting them on I immediately asked myself why had I never worn additional hip protection since I started doing track days. They were very comfortable and I felt if I had them n I could have prevented my hip fracture.

Thanks for the read Members! Post up your Gear, pictures if you like and compare protection that you wear!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good list. I have been seeing a lot of the faster guys starting to wear these over their leathers now as well...

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=232521

Very nice! The airbag system is something that has been on my list of must have, for quite some time now. From some of the reviews I have seen the spidi system seems to inflate faster than some of the airbag suits, and certainly would be ideal for any type of riding!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
after a big off about three months ago at a track day. Most of my gear was destroyed. I decided it would be in my best interest to upgrade my gear fully and be the most protected at the track that i could be. At the time of my crash i was in what i considered to be mid level gear and after fracturing my pelvis i felt the upgrade was needed. (the crash is documented in these forums (hit from behind at trackday) by techx.
While every crash is different i wanted peace of mind knowing i was doing everything i could to ensure my own safety. With a new baby in the house i want to be around for the long haul. So i set off on researching!

The purpose of this post is so other members can see what other people value as great protection for a trackday or what members feel best protects them regardless of price.

My gear list before crash:

Suit: Axo "indy" model
boots: Sidi vertigo air
gloves: Agvsport laguna gloves
back / chest protector: Icon stryker vest
helmet: Joe rocket rkt prime vector

gear list after crash:

Suit: Rs taichi gp max r0072
boots: Sidi vertigo air (the only piece i did not have to replace)
gloves: Knox handroid v14
back/ chest protector: Forcefield harness extreme flite
hip protection: Forcfield action shorts w/ pro armor
helmet: Scorpion r2000

as you can see i significantly upgraded my gear, i chose items that were ce rated to the highest standards, and thankfully in my situation money was not an issue.

The two items i value the most after the crash is the rs taichi suit and the forcefield shorts. The suit was the only "off the rack" major brand that had 1.5mm thick cow hide used. The industry standard is 1.2-1.3mm. The problem i also had was not many manufacturers disclosed if their leathers were drum dyed or where they obtained their hide from. I also preferred to know where the suit is made from my preference is from japan or italy. Many seem to be made in china or ukraine and are mass-produced.

The shorts after putting them on i immediately asked myself why had i never worn additional hip protection since i started doing track days. They were very comfortable and i felt if i had them n i could have prevented my hip fracture.

Thanks for the read members! Post up your gear, pictures if you like and compare protection that you wear!

:+1:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I have, Alpinestars Motegi 1 peice, Alpinestars gloves (not sure the name only know they cost me $180) Alpinestars bionic back protector (bought off a member here) Dianese boots (bought off a member here) alpinestars armor shorts, 1 peice undersuit (sportbike track gear) shoei RF-1200 Phantasm, and a bike.

I would know more about this stuff but I only have wore them once and that was just to put all the gear on to make sure it fits. I've past up 4 trackdays now because of either work or the ol lady. Rain or shine snow or sleet ill be at beaver run on the 28th.

·
Always On Mod
1,842 Posts
Something to think about adding to your list is an under-layer like psycleskins. I wear underarmor pants and long sleeve shirt, but a slippery under-layer lets the leathers move as necessary in a slide without taking your skin with it. Plus, you can get in and out of your leathers easier, and it helps wick moisture away from your skin.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,051 Posts
Something to think about adding to your list is an under-layer like psycleskins. I wear underarmor pants and long sleeve shirt, but a slippery under-layer lets the leathers move as necessary in a slide without taking your skin with it. Plus, you can get in and out of your leathers easier, and it helps wick moisture away from your skin.
Oh yeah. I usually wear a Moto D undersuit but elected to wear a short sleeve Under Armour shirt last Sunday. NEVER again. Nearly impossible to get out of the sleeves.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some smart upgrades. Another option on the airbag system is the Hit Air line. Works as a vest so you can wear it on the street or while you're racing. My friend has one and he says it doesn't interfere with moving around on the bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah. I usually wear a Moto D undersuit but elected to wear a short sleeve Under Armour shirt last Sunday. NEVER again. Nearly impossible to get out of the sleeves.

I just ordered RS taichi cool ride gear, why not have all the same brand right ? Lol I currently have an A* undersuit and I could never go back. I spent 2 years struggling to get out of my suit with short sleeved shirts or stretch type under armor stuff and it isn't worth it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some smart upgrades. Another option on the airbag system is the Hit Air line. Works as a vest so you can wear it on the street or while you're racing. My friend has one and he says it doesn't interfere with moving around on the bike.
The hit air stuff looks awesome, and not to bad on the wallet either, this will be a planned upgrade in the very near future, for street and track! Good call !

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
Here is my list:

Scorpion Podium suit
Scorpion R2000 helmet
Scorpion SG3 gloves
ForceField L2K EVO back protector
Sidi boots
Under Armor

·
Registered
382 Posts
Scorpion R2000
Astars gppro one piece suit
Astars gppro gloves
Astars supertech-r boots
Bionic chest pads and a knox back protector
Underarmor and astars summer road racing socks

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think the most important part are those socks ! Lol nice list. I see an a stars fan I think hehe
So I just like stuff matched up and looking good together. :) could have been some other brand but the suit fit me so well and decided to keep going with astars hehe.

Man those socks are awesome lol i know how funny it sounds but they feel super comfy and they got the holes lined up with the vent holes on the boots while still some nice cushion on the sole side. Get a pair and u'll love them. Actually i don't have the summer ones just the regular and I think they might have some extra cushion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
First and foremost Falsehope thank you for starting this thread. Also a thanks to all the guys who have added good suggestions here. This thread really makes me realize how under geared I am. I am in my 40's and would be in a lot of trouble if I got seriously hurt for any period of time. I do not have unlimited money sadly like many of us. I just got a lot of new gear and suit from Mike at Riders Discount, but I think I may take some of the under suit ideas and put them to use. So thank all of you guys!!!! Great post

·
Chairman of the Board
16,051 Posts
Props to dude and Falsehope for mentioning the socks. (Because keeping cool is part of having a safe track day as well.) I wasn't even aware they existed. Gonna shoot Mike a pm now and get a set before the next track day rolls around. Also a big :+1: to Teeks post. Im a 40 something as well and although in pretty decent shape I still don't heal like I used to. I don't have unlimited funds or time off so protection is much better than the alternative.

·
Registered
771 Posts
wow I a really shocked more people aren't wearing padded shorts.
I have a set of Bohn shorts I got at STG when I got my first suit see they no longer carry them but here is a link to there web page
http://www.actionstation.com/catalog/bohn-armored-shorts.php

My main failure in my crash (also being in the 40 range) was Gloves
I spent a ton of money on my slightly functional left pinky.

Now riding with
Bell rs1
Alpinestars mx-1 suit
knoxx chest and Aegis back protector (same one I crashed in)
A* smx+ boots
Knoxx handroid gloves
Bohn padded shorts (also crashed in)

I crashed in triple digits at barber on the back kink and tumbled like a rag doll
the only gear that got destroyed was my gloves and the agv helmet. (helmet did a great job not even a slight concussion)st put on to many pounds during physical therapy to fit in with my pads

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First and foremost Falsehope thank you for starting this thread. Also a thanks to all the guys who have added good suggestions here. This thread really makes me realize how under geared I am. I am in my 40's and would be in a lot of trouble if I got seriously hurt for any period of time. I do not have unlimited money sadly like many of us. I just got a lot of new gear and suit from Mike at Riders Discount, but I think I may take some of the under suit ideas and put them to you. So thank all of you guys!!!! Great post
I am only 26, and unfortunately the crash woke me up to better protection. Like you as well, I realized that spending money on gear was better than medical bills!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts