Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Intro: I'm new to this Forum. I've had a Zx10R 2007 from new since 2008 and I love it more than life itself. Admittedly, I'd be more what is known as a pencil pusher as opposed to grease monkey so I know only very basic mechanics. I've never had any irregular mechanical issues with the bike.

It recently started to turnover and sound very sluggishly and consensus was it needed a new set of spark plugs

In an attempt to improve my knowledge, a mate who has a number of late model bikes (but not a kwaki), races em and can strip one down and put in back together without blinking, offered to show me how to put in a new set of spark plugs.

He replaced the plugs ok and the engine definitely started up like Steven Hawkins-turned-Usain Bolt and seems to run better, generally speaking.

..however...

Since Immediately afterwards when I turned the engine over for the first time I noticed the following symptoms:
  1. The running engine does not sound like it should/used to (before its recent bout of sluggishness) and there is now a new layer of engine noise in the background that:

[*]sounds very much like a lawnmower when idling or in the lower rev range;​

[*]or when it is running in the middle and upper rev range, sounds like the noise a high profile tyre makes on tarmac;​

[*]remains whether the engine is warm/cold;​

Also, despite it starting better, its torque/performance in the lower rev range is slightly worse than what it used to be, even just before we changed the spark plugs.

I was hoping that running the new plugs in for a day or two would give the computer time to recalibrate to the newer, more efficient plugs and that that might sort it the issues, but no.

My mate mentioned previously that slight changes in the airbox/air cleaning chamber can sometimes affect performance, but he is confident that the airbox was put back properly.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
If it sounds like a lawnmower and runs like crap, sounds like all 4 of your plugs aren't firing. Did you make sure all the caps snapped on? start the bike up, get some warm water in a spray bottle, spray the headers, they all should evaporate very quickly and sizzle off...if one or two of the headers takes a few seconds to evaporate, then it's not firing correctly.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Intro: I'm new to this Forum. I've had a Zx10R 2007 from new since 2008 and I love it more than life itself. Admittedly, I'd be more what is known as a pencil pusher as opposed to grease monkey so I know only very basic mechanics. I've never had any irregular mechanical issues with the bike.

It recently started to turnover and sound very sluggishly and consensus was it needed a new set of spark plugs

In an attempt to improve my knowledge, a mate who has a number of late model bikes (but not a kwaki), races em and can strip one down and put in back together without blinking, offered to show me how to put in a new set of spark plugs.

He replaced the plugs ok and the engine definitely started up like Steven Hawkins-turned-Usain Bolt and seems to run better, generally speaking.

..however...

Since Immediately afterwards when I turned the engine over for the first time I noticed the following symptoms:
  1. The running engine does not sound like it should/used to (before its recent bout of sluggishness) and there is now a new layer of engine noise in the background that:

[*]sounds very much like a lawnmower when idling or in the lower rev range;​

[*]or when it is running in the middle and upper rev range, sounds like the noise a high profile tyre makes on tarmac;​

[*]remains whether the engine is warm/cold;​

Also, despite it starting better, its torque/performance in the lower rev range is slightly worse than what it used to be, even just before we changed the spark plugs.

I was hoping that running the new plugs in for a day or two would give the computer time to recalibrate to the newer, more efficient plugs and that that might sort it the issues, but no.

My mate mentioned previously that slight changes in the airbox/air cleaning chamber can sometimes affect performance, but he is confident that the airbox was put back properly.

Any ideas?
What kind of sparkplugs did you have installed?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ive heard about the possibillity of switching one of the plugs from the sparkplugcoils with one of the other sensors. result is the bike runs on 3 cilinders and would explain all you problems.

I would start with checking is it runs on all 4 or not and then check if you have switch the plugs.

cilinder check you can do by squirting some water on de exhaust down pipes when the bike runs on iddle.

the one that doesn't heat up is the cilinders that is malfuctioning

1 - 4 of 4 Posts