Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been in CO since 2009 and its really starting to suck living here lately. Getting really overcrowded and the homeless are literally shitting all over the place. Crime is getting higher too. Anyway, wife wants me to move us out to TN. I've been there a few times over a decade ago and all I remember is really good food and it being really hot and muggy.

Anyway, anyone on here from TN have any advice about best places to live in TN? I'll be buying a home and my budget is no more than 300k, that will vary a little depending on property taxes and insurance. I read somewhere that disabled combat veterans can get property tax exemptions.

Was also wondering about how expensive utilities are out there too in various places.

Thanks in advance for the input!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I dont live in TN but I am in GA which living expenses are similar. We literally just purchased a home here for $300K. It's over 3,000 sqft with an oversized garage. Your budget will put you in a nice house!

Depending on where you are looking in TN you may find yourself a short ride from the Dragon! Probably the best year round area to ride a motorcycle! Somewhere in the Telico plains will put you in the heart of the best motorcycle roads in the country!

Not sure what you do for a living nor do I know what is available in that area but for your budget you and your wife should be able to find most of your wants in a home.

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont live in TN but I am in GA which living expenses are similar. We literally just purchased a home here for $300K. It's over 3,000 sqft with an oversized garage. Your budget will put you in a nice house!

Depending on where you are looking in TN you may find yourself a short ride from the Dragon! Probably the best year round area to ride a motorcycle! Somewhere in the Telico plains will put you in the heart of the best motorcycle roads in the country!

Not sure what you do for a living nor do I know what is available in that area but for your budget you and your wife should be able to find most of your wants in a home.
Thanks for the info. Nice. We are also kinda thinking about GA as well. For TN I was thinking around the Chattanooga area....maybe Memphis, but I see bad things said about Memphis online; crime, etc....

That's cool to hear about nice riding there. I would really look forward to that.

I am retired/disabled combat vet. I'd like to find work around there, but we make do on my retirement. 300k is my max, min is 180k. Just depends on insurance, property taxes and maint. Don't want to overextend ourselves.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I spent 22 years in TN

1. The further East you go the nicer it gets.

2. Memphis is basically the butthole of the United States. Filthy, crime ridden and just not a pleasant place to live unless you have LOTS of money and can afford private, gated residence etc.

3. Anything in the middle of the state Chattanooga/Nashville is fine for the most part, but be aware of the Southern culture which is keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Everyone will smile when they talk to you, then immediately talk shit about you when you turn your back.

·
Registered
361 Posts
AHH yes the infamous southern hospitality... Nicest people you will meet face to face as LDH said but they do love their gossip (behind your back).

Chattanooga is a beautiful area. We stayed at a cabin once for vacation right on Chicamauga Lake I believe. Lots of outdoor things to do! You will have the best of both worlds; water sports and the mountains!

If you MTN bike at all this is another great part of the country for riding!

Hope you find what your looking for and keep us updated on the area you decide on. Here in GA we live in Augusta which is OK but 2 hours from everything, Atlanta, Charlotte, Savanah, and the mountains. I will say however that SC is probably the cheapest place to live as far as property tax is concerned. Also, plenty of nice areas to live in SC!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Based on state taxes alone I would choose Tennessee over Ga, SC, NC. Once in east Tn all of those states are easily in the same area. You really have to be in far east Tn to get to the really famous/good/ roads of that area.

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We live in East Tennessee, great area to live. Tons of GREAT mountain roads to ride. Pretty mild temps most of the year.
Yeah, wife is leaning towards Chattanooga area for us to relocate too. We have two little ones going to be going to school in a couple more years and seems the schools are better around there.

Looking forward to being able to ride there! :)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
My second favorite place to eat is in Chattanooga as well. The Acropolis, Greek Restaurant. Service is generally hit or miss, but great food and decent menu. It is the only place in the entire world where I have enjoyed mediterranean food.

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My second favorite place to eat is in Chattanooga as well. The Acropolis, Greek Restaurant. Service is generally hit or miss, but great food and decent menu. It is the only place in the entire world where I have enjoyed mediterranean food.
Yeah, saw there are a lot of good eating places there. I'll have to make sure I don't get too fat for track days when I move there.

Hey, what are the gun laws like there? I read you need a permit to open carry there. I also read somewhere that I have to register guns if moving there from another state. I have hunting rifles, shotguns and a handgun.

I thought TN would be more lenient than CO concerning guns.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Having been removed from it for a decade I am unsure what current gun laws are in the State, but when I was there getting a CCW was a very simple process and there was little animosity towards gun culture. Maybe things have changed

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in Ooltewah! Right outside of Chattanooga. We've been here a week now and loving it. 🙂 People are so nice and helpful.... even at the DMV. Lol. It took me under ten minutes to get plates for my truck and bike. I couldn't believe it. So far so good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts