Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello for what seems like the 10th time this damn week. i was out for a ride today, and one of my buddies behind me said he saw puffs of blue smoke coming out of my exhaust. i recently had a motor swap and it was inspected and installed by a credible source. now im not sure if this is a head gasket issue, but i’ve never known of engine issues on a zx10r. any input would be appreciated. i’m going to change my oil as well to see if there’s coolant in it.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Blue smoke is not good, it probably won't be a head gasket issue. What did the inspection consist of? Oil burns Blue = oil mixing with fuel on detonation. Can only be worn valve guides-damaged valve stems or seals, damaged-worn piston rings or bore. I don't like being the bearer of bad news. Compression and leak down tests won't identify the specific issue if not all previously mentioned issues. Who knows what happened to the replacement engine, it was being sold for a reason, what happened to your original engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue smoke is not good, it probably won't be a head gasket issue. What did the inspection consist of? Oil burns Blue = oil mixing with fuel on detonation. Can only be worn valve guides-damaged valve stems or seals, damaged-worn piston rings or bore. I don't like being the bearer of bad news. Compression and leak down tests won't identify the specific issue if not all previously mentioned issues. Who knows what happened to the replacement engine, it was being sold for a reason, what happened to your original engine.
the original engine was not taken care of by the previous owner (bike was purchased used from a dealer). i was out for a ride one day and unfortunately the motor blew a hole through the front of the case, scrapping the motor.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I wish i could be giving you some hope, but the truth is no matter how we go about diagnosing the engine to pinpoint its fault, they all the above faults require the engine coming out. The time and cost beyond that is down to the issue and how well you want to future proof the engine (if your going to keep it)

·
The Pace
7,211 Posts
Tricky situation: I can report that the major weakness of the 10r's from g4 onward are the valves. Nothing to do with oil changes; simply that if this bike is run a lot at serious rpms the dang valves will fail between 50-70k then if dealer messes up, fail at 10k more so. I'm at 10k now on last valve change out and now out of warranty, and the was the six year warranty.

Not sure how much a tech will charge to go through the upper end these days. Check to see if seller of engine has a warranty. Never know.

Again, not about 'taking care of the bike' if the valves are the problem. Unless you have other evidence, which is impossible to justify in terms of chain of evidence as dealers will park a work bike in the rain for months. Get the bike back and all worn areas are rusted on the tank. Guess how I know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts