Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So many Kawasaki's have a positive neutral finder. I believe that the gen 4 is one of them. Can the positive neutral finder cause shift issues? I have been told that it can, and removing it can make shifting smoother. I missed a few shifts in my last race, and it didnt make me happy. Anybody on hear have any experience with this? I know the positive neutral system is removable, so if it will make my shifting smoother, I will pull it.

Any info will be great.

Thank you

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,772 Posts
The PNF is nothing more than 3 ball bearings spaced 120* apart in the output shaft. As the shaft spins, the bearings are flung apart and the gears are allowed to move freely on the shaft. When the shaft stops spinning, at least 1 of the bearings falls down and prevents the gears from going past the neutral point.

Unless one or more of the bearings are sticking due to oil sludge or a damaged transmission, they won't cause any difference in the quickness or feeling of the transmission. Removing them would require you to split the crankcase apart, remove the transmission output shaft, disassemble all the gears on the shaft, and remove the bearings. It's a painful job for no benefit other than making it hard to find neutral all the time.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, ok, yea, that sounds like a huge PITA. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I just like being able to shift into neutral after 1st while rolling down to a stop at a light, like with my R1. With my Kawi, I gotta wait till I come to a complete stop, then shift, or risk it going into 2nd while rolling. Just an inconvenience for me. Never had an issue "finding" neutral though Lol

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really, I was just hoping to blame my blown shifts on something other than myself, guess thats out the window.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Really, I was just hoping to blame my blown shifts on something other than myself, guess thats out the window.

My Dynojet QS has taught me to shift pretty deliberately. Quite a few times I've just tapped it and it stuck in the same gear instead of up shifting, at WOT. That'll make your ass pucker for a second :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The only shift this can possibly ever have an effect on is 1st to 2nd. The mechanism has no effect whatsoever on anything else ... not even 2nd to 1st.

Unless you are having some sort of sludge build-up inside the engine which is causing the balls to stick, I can't see how it would cause a problem.

I've never had an issue with finding neutral while rolling ... it's the same as any other bike as soon as you are rolling along.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well damn, my excuse is officially invalid!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Well damn, my excuse is officially invalid!
I remember in the earlier years of my bike(new) same thing happened to me from time to time then switched to a different oil and things got better almost never happened again....just a suggestion change the Oil type your using now. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
849 Posts
A bad gear shifter always blames his oil! haha! Just kidding Blu!

I have no issue finding neutral from 1st while rolling, you just need to be gentle!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
A bad gear shifter always blames his oil! haha! Just kidding Blu!

I have no issue finding neutral from 1st while rolling, you just need to be gentle!
LOL...that's cool but it's true I knew it wasn't me I have data logged how fast I shift at the drag strip and it's like Quick shifter times but with a foot.:wink:

With that said back in the old times many threads about the same issue OIL.....just today about the H2 Dog transmission in one of the videos they state transmissions on motorcycle HAVE to use ENGINE oil at the same time not optimal compared to race cars...so guessing this is a common occurrence especially on Kawasaki bikes my 9R had similar problems too. :dontknow:

Bloo

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What oil are you using bluedevil?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
What oil are you using bluedevil?
Sorry not going to turn this thread into an "Oil" Thread to many threads/Opinions/Facts/Experts etc. about this already and it gets real Messy....no Pun intended....do a search for info....if you want PM me. :wink:

Bloo

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Sorry not going to turn this thread into an "Oil" Thread to many threads/Opinions/Facts/Experts etc. about this already and it gets real Messy....no Pun intended....do a search for info....if you want PM me. :wink:

Bloo

Sooooo, you're saying not to change the oil.. Ever? That's just irresponsible Blue, but scout would approve ;)

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Sooooo, you're saying not to change the oil.. Ever? That's just irresponsible Blue, but scout would approve ;)
Lol...I think I spent thousands of Dollars now in 520 chains/Sprockets and OIL over the years....your not in my league. :heyyou::lol:

Bloo

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Well now that ^^^ was just mean :lol:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I spoke with Derek Keyes. He is abviously well versed in Kawi knowledge. First, he says that the trans on this bike (gen 4) is a cassette, so its very easy to remove. Second, he removes the bearings for the neutral finder on all his race bikes. I have races next weekend, so I wont do it before that, but I will after. I will post a full "how to" with pics and all that. And hey, that 10 grams of steel will ad like 5 HP. I mean, 10 grams x rotating weight x earths gravitational pull + big ego = 10HP, right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts