Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a sports bike (2008 ZX-14). Most guys my age (52) who ride, ride Harleys or other cruiser types. While I have nothing for, or against Harleys or the other cruisers, I have to say that 90% of Harley riders are freakin' out and out posers. In their nice pretty (read never used) leather and their shiny bikes all of which they bought to look badass. Most can't or worse, won't, even work on their bikes and are more concerned about how they look than they are improving their riding skills. Starbucks runs, fashion show rides, never been in a tat parlor or a biker bar. I have some friends who ride and do not fit the poser mold, but the VAST majority, IMO are. Posers that is. Where I live it is generally considered cruiser country, so I am truly a minority. 52 AND I ride a sports bike. Wouldn't have it any other way. Sorry for the rant.

Black Stig

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
:lol: Its a popular fad for sure, and you see alot of sportbike riders doin the same. Jixxer riders with huge shicken strips goin from starbucks to bike night or a city cruise, etc. Its all about the image IMO. I tend to stay away from that.

One time i rode with my buddy's friends and all we did was ride downtown, and the whole time they revved their motors it was CRAZY. So i took them out of town for twisty/wheelie riding and they looked so lost. It was the funniest and worst experience i cant stand those guys.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I ride a sports bike (2008 ZX-14). Most guys my age (52) who ride, ride Harleys or other cruiser types. While I have nothing for, or against Harleys or the other cruisers, I have to say that 90% of Harley riders are freakin' out and out posers. In their nice pretty (read never used) leather and their shiny bikes all of which they bought to look badass. Most can't or worse, won't, even work on their bikes and are more concerned about how they look than they are improving their riding skills. Starbucks runs, fashion show rides, never been in a tat parlor or a biker bar. I have some friends who ride and do not fit the poser mold, but the VAST majority, IMO are. Posers that is. Where I live it is generally considered cruiser country, so I am truly a minority. 52 AND I ride a sports bike. Wouldn't have it any other way. Sorry for the rant.

Black Stig
:+1: Great rant. I gotta agree. I laugh everytime I pass a poser (when I'm at speed) and they don't even turn they're neck to look cuz they're scared to take their eyes off the road.:crackup:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I've noticed the trend of doctors and lawyers with too much money that are starting to buy Harley's and Cruisers. They have more money than riding skills.

I'm at the bike shop on the weekends and this well paid engineer comes and picks up his bike after installing a windscreen and the tech says to him "you might want to change your oil soon because you oil looks dark and it wouldn't hurt to get your primary oil changed also" The guy goes "I have a primary? What's that?"

So yeahr.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Everyone knows that you save the posing for your fancy car...

I don't really car about posers, it's the overly loud pipes, the stunters and runners that end up really getting people pissed at us.
I am not perfect but I try to use some common sense as to when and where I take my chances.

Not sure it's really posing if you choose to take your bike to the beach to watch women rather than driving out there. I'd rather ride just about anywhere I go, doesn't mean I'm going to drag a knee on the way there.

I've been riding too long to be a poser and I'll ride in the rain so I'm not fair weather either, just trying to be more tolerant in life.

Now windscreen and helmet spikes I have a hard time not snickering at, not a fan of chrome on a sportbike either but to each his own.
Chrome is kind of poserific to me, even if you are scraping a knee, it just screams look at me, look at me.

Extended bikes and blinged out busas aren't for me either but in some ways the more riders we have the better, posers included.

·
T Double D
870 Posts
I completly agree with you and have no problem with crusier guys and have owned them in the past i just have no need whatsoever for one in my garage ever and i agree most of them in there dirty jeans are posers and ride around going 15mph under the posted speed limit

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I've noticed the trend of doctors and lawyers with too much money that are starting to buy Harley's and Cruisers. They have more money than riding skills.

I'm at the bike shop on the weekends and this well paid engineer comes and picks up his bike after installing a windscreen and the tech says to him "you might want to change your oil soon because you oil looks dark and it wouldn't hurt to get your primary oil changed also" The guy goes "I have a primary? What's that?"

So yeahr.
Just found out about the primary today. My neighbor has a charging problem. He had a bad regulator but still won't charge after putting on a good one. Now he is in the process of pulling the stator. what a freaking job. LOL I thought pulling my plastics off was a pain!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i agree.. there are posers in almost every sport or hobby.. weather its skateboarding or motorcycles or everyone wearing tapout gear thinking they are in the ufc or something..

there are some guys out there that can really ride their harleys, m109's ect.. but there are alot of riders out there that ride just bc the cool factor..

i do ride my bike.. i take turns (even tho there arent many good roads here.. mainly long straight and flat) i drag race, i've even been to some bike nights and been down to the beach checking out girls.. o well thats right i'm a ruff ryder.. guess i'm part poser lol

i do hate on anyone that rides their bike.. and their styles up to them.. 240, extended, chrome whatever.. its theirs.. i'm not to big on the 300 + tires.. i belive u can still ride a 240 pretty well.. but hey dif strokes for dif folks.. i know extended bikes are big around here where i live .. long straight flat roads.. and a 1/4drag strip in my town.. i think the style of bike has alot to do with where u live..

i dont mind all these harley owners not so much riders on the road.. as long as they are safe and improving their riding skills.. not out spending more money on their hd clothing then they have into their bike.. and hanging out in a parking lot all the time trying to look the part.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,368 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what difference could it possibly make toward life?

So what if these posers bought 3 billion dollars worth of Harleys and can barely ride them to the point of stalling at every other red light while riding it towards a Starbucks where he owns the entire block?

Last I checked Adolf Hitler died and so did the Nazi Regime. So one can buy and ride what ever they like whether they are HARD core or novie poser/geek

I am not asking this in favor or against this post. Just curious.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey Black Stig,
Bottom line is HGAS ??? I turned 57 today...and was out riding my ZX10 for the first time in three weeks...cuz I'd rather take the "girls bike" Harley Sportster to work and let it sit outside all day getting dirty...and I do spend other time putting around on my KLR...
The waves and greetings I get all depend on what I happen to be riding that day..and I'm pretty tired of it...Most of the 'kids' on sportbikes are pretty cool...the old farts on their B/T Hardleys are the funniest...lol....and the dualsports are few and far between in my neighborhood.....
Just enjoy YOUR ride and let the "Weekend Posers" enjoy theirs (down the street to the nearest watering hole..)
Ride Safe,
GT (just another poser, hehe)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last I checked Adolf Hitler died and so did the Nazi Regime. So one can buy and ride what ever they like whether they are HARD core or novie poser/geek

I am not asking this in favor or against this post. Just curious.

You insinuate that I and others are NAZI's because we don't like the hypocrisy of posers? That, is probably the most naive and asinine thing I've seen on this board in some time.

Black Stig

·
Registered
835 Posts
Huh? What does a bunch of over aged wanna-be's playing weekend dressup have to do with Hilter or anything else? Hmmm.....
Got go with Blk Stig on this one....I'm confused.....
but then again, I'll put on a pair of leather pants/jacket/boot/gloves and helmet and ride my ZX10 REALLY slow and still have a great time......Got problems with that too??
Lol.....

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
harleys are not my thing (personally i think they are ugly and outdated). The one thing that i have noticed is that whenever i ride i do the "bike wave or whatever" and almost every time a harley rider will not wave back?

In my opinion there is little to no skill involved with riding a cruiser, and being able to manipulate the bike is everything to me so as they mope around i just do my own thing.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,368 Posts
You insinuate that I and others are NAZI's because we don't like the hypocrisy of posers? That, is probably the most naive and asinine thing I've seen on this board in some time.

Black Stig
actually not the least bit and sorry if you took it that way, I ment it in general as in one can buy anything anytime if they have the means.

But you are %100 right as in being naive and asinine, although I would personaly think of it as being low class and quite pathetic and not just naive.

hypicracy of posers?

I am just curious as to what difference it makes other than they are buying products which I think is good for the economy.
Heck I wish everyone was a poser who wasn't a real rider. More bikes would be sold, more clothing, jackets, parts, acces, etc. But then again, does it really matter.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
actually not the least bit and sorry if you took it that way, I ment it in general as in one can buy anything anytime if they have the means.

But you are %100 right as in being naive and asinine, although I would personaly think of it as being low class and quite pathetic and not just naive.

hypicracy of posers?

I am just curious as to what difference it makes other than they are buying products which I think is good for the economy.
Heck I wish everyone was a poser who wasn't a real rider. More bikes would be sold, more clothing, jackets, parts, acces, etc. But then again, does it really matter.

People like to feel superior.
So we rag on the "posers" who don't think like we do or we preach to those who dare not to wear full leathers to go down the street at 40mph.

Or in my case, I laugh at windscreen spikes. Makes me feel superior not having them.:crackup:

It all gets pretty old.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts