Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a cylinder head for pretty cheap and was considering picking it up and having it ported before I put my bike back together. Is anyone running a ported head on a stock bottom end?

Would running a ported head be worth the time/money spent considering the bottom end is stock? My bike sees alot of street time but plan on getting into drag racing pretty heavily next season.

Any input is appreciated. Also Camshaft suggestions would be nice to have

·
Registered
50 Posts
I came to find out whoever had mine before me had ported the head some. Bottom end is stock, in short kinda seems as if it had been setup for a bottle. At least the way it sits now even with a tune, its power seems off. Compared to other liter bikes on the same dyno. It makes good power down low then drops off some up top. Kinda as if the added flow is just to much. If it was ported with the bottle in mind, then putting one on again should make it happy. Hopefully find out when spring/summer come back around. Depending on mods and setup may not be worth the money. But as i said i just ended up discovering mine was ported.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
the 10rs come hand ported from the factory but its not the best "port" job really. its more of just a cleaned up sorta thing. The 10r does not need larger intake ports at all for the cams that we run in the bikes even with the little larger lift cams. Do a search on the forums here for high velocty head porting. I actually just got 2 06 heads that I'll be doing a small port epoxy head on for myself and probably offer it to someone on here.

cams your best bet will be some web camshafts.

if your going to do anything to the head a little better clean up job with matching intake port boots will be all thats needed you do not need to open these ports up at all.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
the 10rs come hand ported from the factory but its not the best "port" job really. its more of just a cleaned up sorta thing. The 10r does not need larger intake ports at all for the cams that we run in the bikes even with the little larger lift cams. Do a search on the forums here for high velocty head porting. I actually just got 2 06 heads that I'll be doing a small port epoxy head on for myself and probably offer it to someone on here.

if your going to do anything to the head a little better clean up job with matching intake port boots will be all thats needed you do not need to open these ports up at all.
I'll take one of them heads when you're done :hello:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well let me know when you finish up the head maybe I'll take it off your hands!

But on the subject, how much power gain is to be expected by modding the head/cams? Of course I already have full exhaust, pc3, sprockets, butterflies removed, ect. ect.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I'll be able to tell everyone pretty soon what just an epoxy head can do, like I said I just got these 2 heads to play with so I'll be working on them this week.

it ill really depend on your current mods and cams and degree numbers but they love the small intake port.

·
Registered
451 Posts
the 10rs come hand ported from the factory but its not the best "port" job really.
Do they come hand ported or CNC ported, Garth?

I can't believe someone actually hand ports the thousands and thousands of 10r's that come from Kawasaki.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I personally don't know, I know no 2 ports look the same and they apparently are just quickly cleaned up but yeah would be crazy if they were all hand "ported" I honestly don't know,, maybe someone can do some searching of what kawi says.

·
Registered
50 Posts

From the looks of it whoever had it before me took it upon themselves to open it up more. Joys of buying things used i guess.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Im pretty sure that they are done by hand at the factory. Also looking at them i would say the valve seats are blended with a machine and the ports are done by hand.

Am i the only one that takes the time to hand blend the seats to the head? It probally does not help hp much but it makes be feel better.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Found a cylinder head for pretty cheap and was considering picking it up and having it ported before I put my bike back together. Is anyone running a ported head on a stock bottom end?

Would running a ported head be worth the time/money spent considering the bottom end is stock? My bike sees alot of street time but plan on getting into drag racing pretty heavily next season.

Any input is appreciated. Also Camshaft suggestions would be nice to have
Im running a stock bottom end with a ported head,but i got the kaw race intake cam with that set-up my bike made 174.85hp on 93 pump gas, with-out the head and cam it made 161hp pipe and pc i picked up 13hp the head came from garth285 small port. if your going to dragrace i would set the cams at 107in 104ex I played with the cam number i changed from that 107-104 to 105in 103.5ex thats was ok then i changed again to 105in 107ex that was ok as well, BUT for all out power on the BIG END of 1\4mile racing the 107in 104ex is the BEST im 200lbs with the 107\104 my mph was 148mph and thats on 93pumpgas i hope this info help, GARTH will hook you up goodluck PS my bottom end got over 21,000 miles and still running GOOD:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
^ pardon my squidliness, but what exactly do you do with the jb weld and what shape are you trying to achieve? im new to this

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well since this bike is sold now I can spill the beans on it !! This is a full blown street bike that my buddy Jeff (J-N-M Motorsports) did for a friend. Its a Head and cam package with gas and a lockup along with other small things. Stock bore and stroke tho!!!! It ran 5.20 to 5.30's with a 140 pound rider!!! If I remember right I believe it did 173hp on motor and something around 210hp on the nos. Now I have to say when you port a head you port it to the size cams your going to use. So what works for one persons cam package isnt going to work for another!!! We can hook you up with a head and cam package to fit what ever your trying to do !!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 108 Posts