Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Is this worth having done and how much hp could you pick up?

Carpenter Racing offers this. For a Third Gen it's $1400 if you send them the head. It's done by CNC, port polish, seat. He says a dyno proven 10 hp for 2008 and up ZX10.

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you already have the heads off i would definately polish them up a bit. Its not gonna be that hard, but your not gonna get 10 hp out of it either.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm not sure what things you are talking about that total less than $1400, but most folks upgrade engine internals last.

If it were me, I'd do suspension first, race exhaust, Race filter and fueling (Bazzaz or PC with tuning) second, wheels third (BST Carbon Fiber)...and since those things are taken care of and I still want more power, I'm going to do engine internals next year. :helmet:

Check carpenter racing website, they had some dyno data for upgrades to your bike.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
Be careful ... Changing the shape of intake ports can *lose* power. It's easier to lose power than to gain it by "porting".

Many 4-valve-per-cylinder production engines benefit from *smaller* intake ports provided that they are shaped correctly. The stock ports are too big.

Also, "polishing" is not necessarily good on the intake side. You need a little bit of surface roughness to encourage the liquid fuel droplets to stay in suspension in the air stream. Cleaning up edges and corners and casting mis-match is fine, but don't polish the surface as a whole.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Bigger ports = more high rpm power provided you have the corresponding matching cams.

That's why every -real- engine iteration has larger ports -&/or valves- and peak power goes higher.

If you want to breath at a higher rpm rate then you mandatory need larger ports and throttle bodies, but you'll lose "midrange" (some sportbikes have 5-6K rpm midrange while others have it at 8-9k)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Carpenter Racing offers this. For a Third Gen it's $1400 if you send them the head. It's done by CNC, port polish, seat. He says a dyno proven 10 hp for 2008 and up ZX10.
I sent Bob Carpenter a brand new out of the box 'Busa head back in 2000 for his CNC port job. It came back looking as if the work was done with a sledgehammer and chisel. By the time I got all the surfaces matching and the rough edges smooth and the intake plenum seperator to have a consistent shape, the motor had lost torque and would only produce horsepower in the last 20% of the rev range at best. If you go with a Carpenter head plan on having to back it up with NOS, thats the only way you can be sure it'll make power. I would not buy a spark plug from Carpenter if he had the last one on planet earth.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
Bigger ports = more high rpm power provided you have the corresponding matching cams.
... and provided that the bottom end can take the higher revs!

Arbitrarily making the ports bigger on an engine design that has a fixed maximum RPM limit won't necessarily make more power, will almost certainly cost midrange, and may cost top end power.

Garth has been using the MototuneUSA approach, and making the ports smaller in a critical area.

·
Registered
742 Posts
... and provided that the bottom end can take the higher revs!

Arbitrarily making the ports bigger on an engine design that has a fixed maximum RPM limit won't necessarily make more power, will almost certainly cost midrange, and may cost top end power.

Garth has been using the MototuneUSA approach, and making the ports smaller in a critical area.
Yes, you're right; but again, is a matter of what cams you'll be installing.
If you're sticking with the stock ones then just smooth the ports out or the mototune way.

Just take a look at a stock GSXR1K head and you'll find out how LARGE that ports are compared to the 10R.
I'm still 8-10CV below a gixxer with Yoshimura cams, and that's because the gixxer revs higher; and yes we have enlarged my ports head a considerable certain amount and with a webcam set I didn't loose any midrange, so it depends on how things are done and what analysis of the whole thing your tuner does.

My bike is doing 12.4 Kgm at 10200 rpm, and I'm proud of having one if not the most powerfull NA 10R around here.

What I want to state clear is that adding epoxi to the head is not the ONLY way. I do not trust a CNC head work either, so IF you want a really good port job according to what components you have, you WILL have to spend your bucks.

:thumbsup:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
with the flow bench tests I have seen on a epoxy ported head it outflows a stock head everywhere until you get in the .440" lift range which no one even makes cams that large so I for sure would not open any part of the intake port. My bike has never been faster with a epoxy port (on my 2mm motor) it was the only time the bike would love the higher rpm's and pull sooo hard on the top gears. 200.2mph is still my bikes current fastest record..... I'm going to test to see what a stock motor with head work will do this weekend :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
with the flow bench tests I have seen on a epoxy ported head it outflows a stock head everywhere until you get in the .440" lift range which no one even makes cams that large so I for sure would not open any part of the intake port. My bike has never been faster with a epoxy port (on my 2mm motor) it was the only time the bike would love the higher rpm's and pull sooo hard on the top gears. 200.2mph is still my bikes current fastest record..... I'm going to test to see what a stock motor with head work will do this weekend :)
Again Garth, have you taken a look at the gixxer1K head?
Have you seen dyno charts of that bike tuned and with yoshi cams? What's your opinion about that?
How can smaller ports outflow larger ports, other than in the velocity parameter?

I know your bike is 200mph fast, and you'll have to believe me, my bike does that without a problem and pretty some more, Just I do not ride her at that speeds, and it does a friend of mine.

Certainly there's some myth about the 200 mph figure but it's not that hard to reach, given you've the power and space to do that.

In fact, and you'll have to believe me, here the speed record is holded by a 08 10R without internal engine work; just power comm, vel stacks, filter, full akra, 2" down front and rear, of course the proper gearing, and is 208.75 mph (334 km/h)

Then, you'll have to believe, but if you don't you can fly over here to see it with your own eyes, and if you don't see what you come to see I will personally refund you the ticket cost; but if you find what I say to be true I will demand you a ticket to the States to have some days at the Florida beaches :badteeth::lol:

In any case you can meet some knowledgeable people here and enjoy a good asado with us :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts