Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 with 14,700mi. Noticed a couple times under hard acceleration something underneath just gives, and I mean its either in 2nd or 3rd full throttle between 9k-11k Rpm so its pulling with everything its got. I pull in the clutch and shift up and power is restored. At first I thought I broke the chain pulled over and inspected and everything looked fine. I hope the gears aren't rounded off. I bought it used and have put about 1k on it in 3 months or so. I have been practicing clutch less upshifting....Is it possible that I'm not engaging the gears all the way? I figured that a gear change is a gear change. I'm hoping that is the case. I've read into the repairs. From what I have read its not an easy task. Thanks!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,366 Posts
Clutchless upshifting is a quick way to damage the transmission for sure. Especially if you're just practicing and not doing it correctly. That's never a good thing. Sounds to me like you have a bent shift fork. Because of that, the gear pairs aren't fully seating together and that's allowing them to kick apart into a false neutral. The higher torque in the lower gears makes it easier to come apart and that makes it get worse over time. It's a progressive failure that will only keep doing it and doing it more often. There's no easy fix.

The 3 shift forks in there need to be replaced and the gear dogs and slots inspected for damage along with the shift drum. The shift forks are pretty cheap at about $35 each. But on that model, you have to drop the motor out of the frame, split the crankcase apart, and access the transmission that way. It's labor intensive. There's really no way around it. The very first thing you should do is stop clutchless shifting at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx man. I was worried about that. I'm not going to do any clutchless shifting and see if that doesn't help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thx man. I was worried about that. I'm not going to do any clutchless shifting and see if that doesn't help.
Not clutchless shifting won't unbend a shift fork. But as @SkyDork mentioned it's a fairly labor intensive production.

There was a sub up part number for the shift shaft on the gen 3 over the years too. Can't remember exactly but I think there was a spiral fracture in the weld that would cause it to not fully engage a hard shift sometimes. Being an 08 it would have the old style shaft so it may be worth a shot for $40. Don't need to split the cases to change it at least.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not clutchless shifting won't unbend a shift fork. But as @SkyDork mentioned it's a fairly labor intensive production.

There was a sub up part number for the shift shaft on the gen 3 over the years too. Can't remember exactly but I think there was a spiral fracture in the weld that would cause it to not fully engage a hard shift sometimes. Being an 08 it would have the old style shaft so it may be worth a shot for $40. Don't need to split the cases to change it at least.
Thx man, I tried shifting normally yesterday and made sure it was a solid shift and it didn't pop out. I wonder if the dogs or ears or whatever were not fully engaging with the super light shift?.The labor alone was quoted at 1,700$ . Think its possible to not fully engage a gear

1 - 5 of 5 Posts