Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

Quick question here. I have had my 05 10R for about a year, ~15,000kms on the bike. It has a K&N Filter and a Leo Vince Highmount Exhaust Slip On(nothing really 'performance' wise other than that) No PCIII or anything...yet.

Here is my question!

Since I took it out of storage this spring it has been popping/backfiring hard on deceleration and (as per my friend last night) apparentely shooting blue flames.

Now, I am going to assume it is building up fuel on decel and that would explain the whole deal, but my question is: What do you guys suggest I do to remedy the problem? I wasnt really 'planning' on buying a PCIII this year..But I suppose if push comes to shove I will suck it up.

Thanks a lot for your help guys

·
Registered
798 Posts
you can try and remove the kleen system from it that helps a lil on the pop best bet is a power commander but like stated before on here its not really bad

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
keep it above 8K and it wont do that. :badteeth:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff! My old TLR liked to do it as well.. To be honest, I think it is kind of cool, and by experience its not hard on an engine, but just thought I would check before I dug into her! - Thanks boys

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
My 04 does it too - all my friends tell me it looks cool at night time. Have a power commander for this season maybe that will clean it up. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Well I had my PC3 tuned today, the tuner removed a hose from under the airbox and blocked it. He told me that's for emissions and it is causing the backfiring (popping sound). After the dyno I still noticed backfiring but not as much as before.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
A good tuned bike with a PC will still do it to some extent on decel if your exhaust is free flowing.

Check for exhaust leaks is one thing. Tune your FI with a PC is another, and as others have said the valves on the valve cover that vent also compound the issue.

I did the sound myself; and with a Miora they are loud pops. Motor sounds like a built up muscle car motor when doing so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
With my 05 I have a pc and it will clean it up a little. It depends with what map I have in mine if it pops or not. The strange thing is mine doesn't backfire at all with the zero map in it, but the other maps I try it backfires sometimes

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Mine also pops more as it is colder out. Seems it leans something up some and pop pop pop a bit more.

·
Registered
448 Posts
when i put my two brothers pipe on my 06,zx10 it backfired,popped,shot blue flame out a foot long,i put my pc3 on it and it still did it so i took it in and had a custom map done at the dealership and it dont backfire or anything and i had it done last year and still havent heard anything

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
yea, they have a proceedure for the r6 on how-to remove the ais system. once removed (two little hoses) the bike w rarely pop. but most likely your may be running rich. getting a custom pc3 map would def help.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
A good tuned bike with a PC will still do it to some extent on decel if your exhaust is free flowing.

Check for exhaust leaks is one thing. Tune your FI with a PC is another, and as others have said the valves on the valve cover that vent also compound the issue.

I did the sound myself; and with a Miora they are loud pops. Motor sounds like a built up muscle car motor when doing so.
i dont think the exhaust leaks will cause the flames

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Ok, I talked to my tuner, and he told me that he can't help the occassinal single pop but PC3 will cure the constant popping during deceleration. I first could not tell the difference but now that he explained it, I can tell the difference.

Untuned: pop pop pop pop
Tuned: quick pop not followed by another one.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Doing the PC will help but the emissions control will take care of the rest. You need to either plug the really large grey hose or buy a set of block off plates which is the preferable thing to do. I haven't had a backfire out of it except once in a blue moon since I put the block offs on it. They are about 30 bucks or so.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My '05 popped on decel with the stock system. I put on a full system, it got worse, huge flames and lots popping. Maybe the system made the popping more noticeable, or maybe it encouraged it. I put on the PCIII, which cleaned it up a LITTLE bit. Then I put on the block off plates which dam near eliminated the popping and flames. I think the block offs had the most influence on eliminating the popping and flames. Then I had a custom map done, the bike ran a lot better, but the map had little to no influence on the popping, which was all but gone at this point anyway.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts