Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I appreciate this is an often asked question and raises some interesting questions.

I am in the process of building a ZX-9.5R, basically a something just a bit different. I bought a 2004 ZX-10R as spares or repair with a broken 4th gear and the intention of stripping all the good transferable bits to fit to my 2000 ZX-9R.

Once the wheels, forks and swingarm were swapped i started thinking more seriously about the engine. I bought a replacement output shaft, split the engine and swapped the knackered unit with a good one. Alongside all of this i have had a on/off battle with the immobiliser. I sold my car and left the only key i had for the bike at the time in it (not my finest moment). So i bought a new key set, barrel, ecu etc from ebay to replace it. When i started looking more into the bike it appeared someone had already bypassed the immobiliser, using a switch located under the pillion seat, so no need for quite so much expense on ebay after all.

Now for the fun bit. The bypass switch was between the Orange/Black ECU wire and.....i dont know becuase while the engine has been sat on a cradle in my garage and moved around other projects i have managed to break the other wire!!!

I want to test fire the engine, having not run it since i rebuilt the transmission, before i take the current engine out of my 9R and cut all the mounts off. I dare not go any further with this project until i have had the 10R engine running.

If someone could please help shed some light on this i would really really appreciate it. Ive searched extensively online, but understandably it is something people don't advertise. Im happy to share pictures of the bike/engine etc to back up what i'm saying and happy for any answers to come via pm, but i really need some help.

Anything gratefully received.

Matt

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wish I could help, that sounds like an interesting project, kinda wish I had the knowledge to try something like that.

Could you re-install the immobiliser? You would need a new red key I guess.

IIRC US/CAN bikes don't even come with an immobiliser, another reason you might not get a lot of responses :\

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies so far.
I have looked further into it and think you are correct, what I took to be an immobiliser bypass does appear to be nothing more than a self diagnostic - ground switch. Which is strange because I was definitely getting some odd behaviour around that previously that lead me to my former conclusion.

I am now just trying to reinstall everything, I still have the engine loose in my garage with a harness draped over it and fuel tank balanced on top.

I'm actually having trouble finding the cable that the key surround plugs into, any hints on what it's near on the loom/engine, I've spent an hour looking and can't find a corresponding plug!

·
Registered
Gen3
265 Posts
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies so far.
I have looked further into it and think you are correct, what I took to be an immobiliser bypass does appear to be nothing more than a self diagnostic - ground switch. Which is strange because I was definitely getting some odd behaviour around that previously that lead me to my former conclusion.

I am now just trying to reinstall everything, I still have the engine loose in my garage with a harness draped over it and fuel tank balanced on top.

I'm actually having trouble finding the cable that the key surround plugs into, any hints on what it's near on the loom/engine, I've spent an hour looking and can't find a corresponding plug!
The manual link posted above has a section of wire routings. See if you can look through the document. There are also photos of the plugs and components to help identify.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Alexi,
Thanks, I have the owners manual and I spent another couple of hours last night trying to figure this out.

I think I have come across the issue, which is also what led me to think the immobiliser had been bypassed.

I think I have a wiring harness from a non immobilised bike. I can't find the majority of the immobiliser components, and even tracing back to the ECU, I'm not seeing wires I would expect to judging by the wiring diagram.
I have 2 ECUs, one starts the fuel pump when I turn the ignition (just getting error 13 from the FI light but not flashing to indicate the immobiliser is active) but as soon as I press the starter the FI light goes from solid to flashing to indicate the immobiliser.
The other ECU just shows a flashing indicator light as soon as the ignition is turned on and when the diagnostic wire is grounded I get both error 13 and 35.

I'm not sure what I've got on my hands, but any thoughts very welcome as I can't even reinstate what should be there at the moment.

I also stripped all of this out of the bike several months ago to fix the engine, so my memory of the imperfect setup that was in place is less than perfect itself.

·
Registered
Gen3
265 Posts
This will be tougher, but again not impossible. you'd need to locate the ECU part number to identify which region/spec it belongs to. ECU pin out for immo/non-immo models are totally different, much like your description.

The manual posted here, cannot support 'text searching', but the one I got from zxforums can. Keywords:
  • ECU identification
  • Service codes

Manual 3-96 - ECU identification
Font Rectangle Number Parallel Screenshot

Manual 3-39 - Service codes
13: Inlet air temperature sensor malfunction, wiring open or short
35: Immobilizer amplifier malfunction (Equipped Models)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, getting more and more strange.
You were absolutely right about the different ECU codes, one is European/Australian and the other is US according to those part numbers.

Which makes me wonder how and why my FI light is flashing, as if there is an immobiliser, when connected to an ECU that doesn't support an immobiliser, with a harness that doesn't have any connections to utilise?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can certainly try to solve the cause of error 13, had a bit of a look into it but nothing definitive yet.
I do only get error 35 with the UK/EU/AUS ECU, however when the US ECU is connected the FI light flashes as soon as the starter button is pressed, when the starter isn't being pressed and the ignition is on it is constantly lit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts