Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One morning I got on my bike, it starts right up then lost all power. I checked all the fuses, went through it with a volt meter, the only thing getting power is the connector right actress the positive terminal of the battery. I took a wire ran it from the pos terminal straight to the bottom of the ignition everything comes back on and I can start the bike, but that wire gets red hot almost instantly after I start the bike. So then I decided to take it to the local motorcycle shop they put a new ignition on it charged me 300 and gave it back still not working. I hand no idea what to do next, please any help would be greatly appreciated.:dontknow:

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong: the key is in the "on" position and the instrument cluster does not light up, the fuel pump does not run, the lights/signals/horn do not work.

When you say "bottom of ignition", what do you mean exactly? You hooked it up directly to the starter?

Are you sure you checked all the fuses (including the main fuse)?

First thing would be to take it back to the shop, show them that it still doesn't work, and get the money back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea no panel, fuel pump, no lights, its like it has a dead battery but I bought a new one took it to the shop when they had it and they installed it. I'm not sure what you mean by main fuse but I did check that relay that controls the ignition. I talked to the shop they said the ignition might have been bad and caused whatever the problem is, they can't return electrical parts so if I didn't pay them they weren't going to give my bike back. The bottom of my old ignition switch was broken off exposing the wires, that's how I did that but now with the new one I just stick the wire into the connector where the ignition connects.

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by main fuse but I did check that relay that controls the ignition.
I mean this one:

I talked to the shop they said the ignition might have been bad and caused whatever the problem is, they can't return electrical parts so if I didn't pay them they weren't going to give my bike back.
Their business issues are none of your concern. You pay for getting your bike fixed, not for them to install random parts in it. I recommend that you don't do go there again.

Get the service manual (it's in one of the sticky threads in this section) if you don't have it yet.

·
Registered
2007 zx10r / 2002 r1 5pw / tzr 125 / dt125re
4 Posts
i have the same problem on my d7f , dragged the bike out the garage and warmed it up like always , then rode it arround the front drive and turned it off ,, put my coat on and locked the house , sat on my bike and started it as i always do then it just died ,, nothing there / no electrics , i checked all the fuses in the fuse box above the battery and they are ok , i checked the battery and that is ok so im kinda stuck and need it to travel to my new job that i started last week ( im no noob and have rebuilt bikes all my life as a hobby but im no pro lol ) any advice would be great and if you sorted your problem , let me know :)

·
Registered
2007 zx10r / 2002 r1 5pw / tzr 125 / dt125re
4 Posts
mine was the block where the main 30amp fuse is ,, was corroded,, unpluged it all and gave it a bit of a sand down and all working again :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts