Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

please help clutch problem

4K views 56 replies 9 participants last post by  rayszx10r 
#1 ·
i have a 2006 zx10r,my clutch went out well broke some of the friction plates so when putting in new clutch i didnt have nothing to stack it to,well i winged it.well the bike will not go into any gears i think its in first or second now.if i pull clutch in the back tire spins a little when you hit gas why clutch is in i looked at the clutch install part and tryed it like it sais with no luck.i put a ebc srk clutch in it.please help me i have had a bad year with this bike and am getting ready to push it off a mountain.

#2 ·
and even with clutch out it wont go in gear is there something that im missing or not putting in right.my kit cam with the anti chatter plate and a couldnt get the 60 degree angle at the cable until i took the chatter plat and and stuck one of my old steels back in.could the clutch not being installed right cause it not to shift into any gears.i am worried there is something else wrong

#4 ·
check your stack height( is it a stock replacement clutch and if so did you put the right amount of frictions and steels back in?) If stack height is correct did you adjust the cable? sounds like clutch is not releasing when you pull clutch in and it wont shift if clutch is still engaged. another thing did you soak the fibers before install? sorry just running through a bunch of thing that could cause this. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
2 things make sure the shift arm that engages the shift cam is in the correct spot and you did not pull it out. and make sure the the steels are all facing the correct way. They have two sides. one side is sharp and the other side is rounded.

#13 ·
is that part behind the clutch basket when i move the shifter i can see a thing that looks like that moving up and down when i move the shifter up and down but there is no spring play to it how hard is it to get to that area.i have to cut the big nut off that holds the clutch basket and stuff off beings i stripped it.

#17 ·
probally but if the steels are in the worng way they can bind up the clutch and it will not disengage all the way. but that is not his problem right now but he needs to check it. The soft side faces out. If you look at the center of the steels you will see what i am talking about.

#21 ·
the first thing youneed to do is take the basket off. This problem is not in your clutch. i would bet that there is something wrong with something in the picture i posted. and anything right there is going to be alot easier than a bent shift fork!!

#22 ·
if your clutch is not installed right or the clutch springs bad it will slip feeling like it's not in gear like it's in neutral.Try to shift into gear and look at your neutral light if it goes off the bike is going into gear I would take it to your local dealership to make sure of the problem before you start going in there messing with those part the other guys are telling you cause if you mess something up it's going to cost you big.I added a link to the service manual on my last post

#25 ·
Hi mate the only gear you will get is 1st and neutral, you wont get 2nd or any other gear till the bike is moving. you will be able to get them if your bike is on a paddock stand with the engine running after you have selected 1st, hope this makes sence. I found this out when i tried to bump start mine once when the battery was flat and thought some thing in the gearbox was knackerd because i could not get 2nd or 3rd :rolleyes:

#27 ·
ok guys i got the clutch basket off and the shift mechanisem is down and when i push it up it will shift it to first from the lever then into nuatral and get stuck down again and another thing something has been hitting the engine wall on the inside behind clutch basket what could cause that

#28 ·
same exact thing happened to mine, more than likely your clutch basket broke and the springs on the back got crooked and were hitting the casing. make sure you have all 3 taps still intact on the back of the basket. i think you said you have broke a clutch basket before and it could have happened then. but that is the problem. i didnt worry about the engine casing just replaced that whole shifter mechanism and out in a new clutch basket. 6000 race miles later she is still running good.

#30 ·
Its pretty easy to replace you have to drop the oil pan there is a c clip type thing holding it on. you pull the foot shifter off the peg and everything pop off that c clip. and the shift mechenism pulls out through the clutch side. i went back to a stock basket for about 3000 miles then i bought a billet basket. i drag race though so im putting alot of pressure on the clutch basket when i launch.

#31 ·
:+1: just as he said. it would slide right out without that PITA c clip on it but you cant get to the clip without dropping the pan. also dont try to take the clip totally off the shaft it will stretch out and you wont be able to use it again. just take it out of its groove and slide it off the shaft while your pulling it out. :thumbsup: were you able to get the basket nut off?

#42 ·
do you guys think when the clutches broke they could have went in behind the basket and scared that wall,and the big gear in that sits inside the clutch basket is it supposed to have a little play in it when i wiggle it the ribbets that hold it together i guess wiggle a little.

#44 · (Edited)
I was going to ask you if you bought this engine second hand. theres nothing on your basket that would have caused them marks. obviously the basket has been modified(when i first looked at the pics i thought you had done it) from the factory there is rivets holding the basket to the gear. there is no welding on it either including around the springs and the outside gear. i would have to say that it came apart before you owned it. all the welds an grind marks are not the way they come. also if this is the case depending on the year of your engine you should make sure that they used the correct basket/gear to match the crankshaft. (this wasnt an issue on the 06 up just 04-05):thumbsup:

#50 ·
Hey, thats one of my old race motors that I put back together from a box of junk parts and then sold on ebay. I was wondering where that thing would resurface.
Just kiddin dude.
I read your string and been looking at the pics and it looks like your ribbits have somehow come loose? Throw basket in dumpster and start fresh.
Look on your baskets drive gear to determine which one your running before you begin your ebay search. The wrong basket against the wrong crank will lock your engine and destroy your mains.
And as for your shifting "problem", it's not going to shift until you start the engine and the ball bearings in your transmission disengage the shaft.
Every fresh 10 engine I ever worked on never shifted until it was started, don't panic and get rough with it...
Your basket is ruined and you lost your correct clearances for your clutch to properly operate,and probably nothing more.
Clean your oil pick-up screen, change your oil and filter, install the correct basket with your new clutch by the book.
Your plates may have gotten the aluminum portion of your cutch hot enough to melt the material around the rivets, but from the photos it doesnt look like it got that hot. It would also explain the damage to the portion of the back of the clutch which holds the springs which is nothing more than a steel disc held in place by the rivets.
If your steel discs are discolored then they are probably ruined also.

#57 ·
yeah i soaked them.i payed a dealerdhip 2200.00 to put motor on bike the mechanic said he took the clutches and stuff out and checked them and they was fine i guess he didnt look good enough to see basket was rigged or he had my basket i broke welded and put back in.i will learn to work on it myself from now on.cant trust anyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.