Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2006 zx10r,my clutch went out well broke some of the friction plates so when putting in new clutch i didnt have nothing to stack it to,well i winged it.well the bike will not go into any gears i think its in first or second now.if i pull clutch in the back tire spins a little when you hit gas why clutch is in i looked at the clutch install part and tryed it like it sais with no luck.i put a ebc srk clutch in it.please help me i have had a bad year with this bike and am getting ready to push it off a mountain.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and even with clutch out it wont go in gear is there something that im missing or not putting in right.my kit cam with the anti chatter plate and a couldnt get the 60 degree angle at the cable until i took the chatter plat and and stuck one of my old steels back in.could the clutch not being installed right cause it not to shift into any gears.i am worried there is something else wrong

·
Registered
609 Posts
Shifting issues are often caused by bent shift forks.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
check your stack height( is it a stock replacement clutch and if so did you put the right amount of frictions and steels back in?) If stack height is correct did you adjust the cable? sounds like clutch is not releasing when you pull clutch in and it wont shift if clutch is still engaged. another thing did you soak the fibers before install? sorry just running through a bunch of thing that could cause this. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check your stack height( is it a stock replacement clutch and if so did you put the right amount of frictions and steels back in?) If stack height is correct did you adjust the cable? sounds like clutch is not releasing when you pull clutch in and it wont shift if clutch is still engaged. another thing did you soak the fibers before install? sorry just running through a bunch of thing that could cause this. :thumbsup:
i put ebc srk clutches in it as for stack height i did not have the old one to go by.if i take the clutch out it still wont shift is that normal,i did soak them in oil.i believe there was 10 frictions and 9 steels that i put in.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
i put ebc srk clutches in it as for stack height i did not have the old one to go by.if i take the clutch out it still wont shift is that normal,i did soak them in oil.i believe there was 10 frictions and 9 steels that i put in.
If you take the clutch totally out of the bike it wont shift? If so have someone try to shift it while you try turning the trans input shaft as well as rolling the rear tire with the clutch out and engine off. if it doesnt go in then you probably bent one of the shift forks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you take the clutch totally out of the bike it wont shift? If so have someone try to shift it while you try turning the trans input shaft as well as rolling the rear tire with the clutch out and engine off. if it doesnt go in then you probably bent one of the shift forks.
how hard is it to fix a bent shift fork,what i dont understand is it was shifting before i took the clutch out.is there a was to see if the shift fork is bent

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive done replaced the motor do to clutch basket failure now if there is a shift fork bent i will be fixing and selling this bike to many problems with my kaw

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
how hard is it to fix a bent shift fork,what i dont understand is it was shifting before i took the clutch out.is there a was to see if the shift fork is bent
On the 04-05 you need to split the cases. only thing i can think is if you had the clutch adjusted wrong and tried to force it into gear maybe that bent a fork otherwise nothing else makes sense. If you have the bike off and the clutch out of the bike you should be able to get it to shift by rolling the bike back and forth otherwise something in the forks or drum is messed up.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the 04-05 you need to split the cases. only thing i can think is if you had the clutch adjusted wrong and tried to force it into gear maybe that bent a fork otherwise nothing else makes sense. If you have the bike off and the clutch out of the bike you should be able to get it to shift by rolling the bike back and forth otherwise something in the forks or drum is messed up.
i pulled the clutches out and it wont shift rolling it or anything.when the clutch went out they broke into pieces.the gear lever just feels like it aint hooked to anything.i dont know i put 22oo have another motor put on it about 4 months ago then got bad gas at the gap got it fixed now this.

·
Registered
700 Posts
2 things make sure the shift arm that engages the shift cam is in the correct spot and you did not pull it out. and make sure the the steels are all facing the correct way. They have two sides. one side is sharp and the other side is rounded.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
make sure your this piece is not stuck in the DOWN position. when my clutch basket blew up It damaged that piece. it wasnt grabing the shift star. it should spring up and down

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
make sure your this piece is not stuck in the DOWN position. when my clutch basket blew up It damaged that piece. it wasnt grabing the shift star. it should spring up and down

is that part behind the clutch basket when i move the shifter i can see a thing that looks like that moving up and down when i move the shifter up and down but there is no spring play to it how hard is it to get to that area.i have to cut the big nut off that holds the clutch basket and stuff off beings i stripped it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2 things make sure the shift arm that engages the shift cam is in the correct spot and you did not pull it out. and make sure the the steels are all facing the correct way. They have two sides. one side is sharp and the other side is rounded.
the first time i put clutch in i didnt pay attention to steels but took them out and fixed it wont even attempt to shift,even with the clutch out.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
is that part behind the clutch basket when i move the shifter i can see a thing that looks like that moving up and down when i move the shifter up and down but there is no spring play to it how hard is it to get to that area.i have to cut the big nut off that holds the clutch basket and stuff off beings i stripped it.
need to take clutch basket off to get to that stuff. did you have the shift star off the bike while replacing all the clutch parts? there is a pin on the back of the star that locates it to the drum, if that pin is missing or broken it wont turn the drum and wont shift. also do yourself a favor and replace that nut that hold the basket on it strips real easily. I took a socket that fits it and ground the end off it where its tapered and the nut fits in. this will give you full contact on that nut otherwise the taper inside the socket will only allow you to get a good bite on the last 1/16" of the nut.

·
Registered
700 Posts
probally but if the steels are in the worng way they can bind up the clutch and it will not disengage all the way. but that is not his problem right now but he needs to check it. The soft side faces out. If you look at the center of the steels you will see what i am talking about.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
need to take clutch basket off to get to that stuff. did you have the shift star off the bike while replacing all the clutch parts? there is a pin on the back of the star that locates it to the drum, if that pin is missing or broken it wont turn the drum and wont shift. also do yourself a favor and replace that nut that hold the basket on it strips real easily. I took a socket that fits it and ground the end off it where its tapered and the nut fits in. this will give you full contact on that nut otherwise the taper inside the socket will only allow you to get a good bite on the last 1/16" of the nut.
no all i did was take out fibers and steeles and put new ones in.the part in the diagram above is it supposed to spring back up when you hit shifter,it dont it just moves with shifter.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
no all i did was take out fibers and steeles and put new ones in.the part in the diagram above is it supposed to spring back up when you hit shifter,it dont it just moves with shifter.
yes it is spring loaded at the top. when you shift it should rotate and turn the shift star. there is dowel like things that stick out of the front of the star two of these pins on the star should be in the u shape at the top of that linkage. this is what turns the star which then turns the drum. if the star is rotating when you move the linkage then i would check to see if the dowel that locates the star to the drum is ok. maybe something from the basket hit it hard enough to shear that dowel or maybe the linkage is bent and isnt making contact with the stars outer dowel pins. tried to upload a pic from the manual but site wont except it. if you want pm me your email and I will send you a pic of what it should look like in there. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts