Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some advice. These are some pics from my last track day. My ambition is to race next year and any help from you experienced racers or track day enthusiast would be great.

The only thing that I notice is that my upper body needs to get more to the inside of turn and not so much over the bike.

Let me know, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i think you're doing good, as you said, your head needs to be way across the tank and looking towards the 'mirrors' ; your head weighs a lot, use it for turning! With that technique, your bike will be a lot less leaned

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
bring your head in more as if you were trying to touch the mirror.. get in closer.. otherwise looks good.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Get a lot more off the bike. That way you can hold higher corner speed when you reach the lean-limit of the bike. I also feel a lot more in control when "hanging off" the bike.

Lean off the bike till you "fall off", then back up a couple of inches till you feel in control. It takes some practice hanging off the bike, but it´s worth it, and really fun.

This is a pretty good example:

I actually hang off even more than this at times, till the inside of my knee of the outside leg touches the seat..

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
yeah what they said! Your using your arms to hold yourself over your bike, that's bad! Look through the corners leading your bike with your head and shoulders and lay on your tank. A hughe tip that helped me was slowing down when working on BP. Good luck:cool:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. This was only my 2nd track day and I'm fortunate enough to have an accomplished racer helping me and that’s exactly what he said. I found it pretty hard to get any further off the bike, it felt like I was about to fall off. Now that I can see myself it’s quite apparent that I really need to get lower on the bike and extend my upper body towards the inside.

Thanks for the pics espen. Nothing like learning from the best!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Get a lot more off the bike.

I actually hang off even more than this at times, till the inside of my knee of the outside leg touches the seat..
suuuuuurre.... like HE really knows what he's doin' :crackup:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
kind of remind on how collin edward ride. your doing good to me, but these other guys have more experance and the head thing i would listen to

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Yeah you are straight up pretty much. The one good thing is your body is not crossed up. However you need to slide your butt off so that the crack is on the edge of the seat. Doing that then will put your head off the bike equally and allow your outside arm to rest or straddle the tank and then the corner side elbow to be more into the turn making your head be down where your mirror would be. I agree it looks like you are holding on to much with your arms.
Use your outside leg to grip the tank and such to hold on and the knee down as a feeler. Lemme see if I can find some pics. :wink:

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
and after looking at the pics of yours more closely you are a bit crossed up. That is why you think you may not be able to get off more. Your butt appears to be off just fine in most of them yet your head is still centered with the bike. Your head needs to follow your butt and be inline horizontally with the bike.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Get a lot more off the bike. That way you can hold higher corner speed when you reach the lean-limit of the bike. I also feel a lot more in control when "hanging off" the bike.

Lean off the bike till you "fall off", then back up a couple of inches till you feel in control. It takes some practice hanging off the bike, but it´s worth it, and really fun.

fallin off like this huh...:wink:

Attachments

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
hehe.. that´s what I´m talkin´about :)
Stretching the inner knee out in that position, one can almost knee-scrape on straights.

lol yeah it looks cool but thats a bit extreme. It was fun though let me tell you but places a little bit to much downward weight me thinks. :wink:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks zx10ragentblack. Those are really nice pics to. Speaking on body position; I found it easier to move on the bike when I had my ass all the way back in the seat (away from the tank). In the pics you can't see any of the seat because I'm using all of it, but it looks like the better position is to be on the tank. Is it better to have your weight shifted to the rear to get better traction and drive out of the corner or to weight the front to load the front tire?

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Thanks zx10ragentblack. Those are really nice pics to. Speaking on body position; I found it easier to move on the bike when I had my ass all the way back in the seat (away from the tank). In the pics you can't see any of the seat because I'm using all of it, but it looks like the better position is to be on the tank. Is it better to have your weight shifted to the rear to get better traction and drive out of the corner or to weight the front to load the front tire?

Towards the front. Now when you are going down the straight you want it all the way back so you can tuck your head down.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 91 Posts