Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, back when i had my first bike in 04 and wrecked it at the track, I was trying to go the unique route to fixing the the bodywork. So I went on ebay and found carbon fibre. I didn't think it would be tough to fix the hole in the fairing, so I did. It just didn't look as good as I thought it would. It was also stiffer & stronger than I ever thought it would be. But in order to look good, i woulda had to paint it.

Anyway, I still have like a yard or so of it still rolled up and I'd like to try to learn and make something with it. I've also got some epoxy and basic tools.

Any ideas or experience? Does anyone know how to work with carbon fibre material?

Thanks,
Antonio

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Tap plastics has everything you need. I forgot the other site you cold get different weave of carbon from. I will post it ones I remember the site :badteeth:.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
CF lesson

:mrgreen:Ya, I just spent the past 2-1/2 hrs reading all 27 pages of that thread. That guy is such a great person for giving up all that time and info on that project. It was such a great writeup! And the video's you posted were such a great summary that just tied the whole CF project together. Thanks a bunch. I honestly feel like I have enough knowledge know to tackle some decent projects.

I found the Tap plastics site on that thread and found the wax and release agent he uses, but didn't have any luck with that no stick, matte finished material he used to wrap the parts when putting them in the vaccuum bag. I'll go back and look again.

As for CF, I think I have enough for now. I just need to go out and get some fiber glass sheets so I can make some molds. Wow, I can't wait to make some CF parts.

Thanks again kawi1000! That was great!
:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
If you do a google search for the mating it should bring up quite a few suppliers , I did a search and found some in the UK , which I know does'nt help you out much but you will be able to get hold of it. Your right about the guy and the thread he put together very concise and let you know all the problems and hopefully how to avoid them. Best of luck with your C/Fibre parts ,post some pics with your completed parts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts