Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... a little background story:

A dude I knew got an 09 R1 (I don't know this guy very well btw). I made the playful comment that it's not as fast as the 10r, but still pretty cool. That was the jumping off point for him to tell EVERYONE that we mutually know (and probably some other people too) that his bike could tear mine up... not a close race mind you, a land slide in the R1's favor. I've just kinda let it go, told my side of the story when asked, and just waited for an eventual meet up. Evidently our meet-up got pushed a lot closer when one of the more mouthy mutual friends decided to put $600 on the line for me to win (basically, the R1 owner is betting him $600), and the race is scheduled for the 13th. Both bikes are equally modded (full system, PC5) and I weigh about 175 or so suited to his at minimum 230 suited (being generous here, possibly 250).

So what do you guys think? I'm guessing this is going to be a roll race, but I can handle launching too.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The stock 08' ten will out accelerate both the 14 and the busa in a straight line. What is this guy thinking putting the new R1 that is down on power from last year against it, especially with a weight disadvantage. Looking forward to a good kill

·
Registered
405 Posts
I voted close call before I read the whole post and learned of the rider weights. The smaller rider on the 10 should be able to win this. I will submit that the 09 R1 is not a slouch though. I've ridden with a couple, and they have what it takes. I really like the form factor too. It's the first R1 that tempts me to buy Yamaha. I'm too happy with my gen1 to ever do it though.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
it woudl depend on how well both launch, but the r1 is actually lesser on power than the 08 R1 itself, so the 10r would EAT the r1 for sure

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it's going to be a roll race. Based off the reviews I've read that weren't funded by Yamaha, it looks like the R1 is both heavier AND less powerful than my 10r (in stock trim at least).

·
Registered
423 Posts
cant wait to hear the results !!! :eek:ccasion1:popcorn2:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I think you will win. Good luck. Post the results.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Bike for bike the 08 10R will beat the 09 R1 by a slight bit. However with the weight difference, it will be a lot easier for you to take care of him. Still be on your high horse and don't let the bike wheelie too much. Those R1's can be pesky. The weight difference is where its at though for ya'll two.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
I voted close call before I read the whole post and learned of the rider weights. The smaller rider on the 10 should be able to win this. I will submit that the 09 R1 is not a slouch though. I've ridden with a couple, and they have what it takes. I really like the form factor too. It's the first R1 that tempts me to buy Yamaha. I'm too happy with my gen1 to ever do it though.
:+1:

I agree with you.

I may still buy one yet and add to my fleet, in spite of the fact it is the hands down loser in most of the shootouts. There is still something special about it below 12K out on the street.

But the 10R should have no problem in a street race as the 09 R1 is top end limited above 12K with the US model. Fly by wire throttle backs off to 80% above 12K even though the rider has it held wide open. Ugly. No real fix yet except expensive Euro or Race ECU's.

So the 10R should walk, really.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Like Spies, Sykes and the Camier have all said the R1 is hard to launch off the line. So if some fat ass thinks he can wipe the floor with you then you should go to the cash machine and match his 600 bucks.
With the win money you can buy some parts from the market place :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
unfortunately I voted before reading the entire story like a moron. I voted close margin to 10 but after seeing the weight difference then I say landslide to the 10. Given your not a shortbus rider and can ride well. That much weight advantage should have a ok rider beating him!!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
R1s have no top end power. Its will be a land slide if you ride correctly!

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
R1s have no top end power. Its will be a land slide if you ride correctly!
Certainly the new 09 R1's US spec are top end limited. The fly by wire backs off at 12K. Look at the massive drop in power from 12K to redline. I have a video of this happening with a Laptop connected to a power commander and you can see thr TPS is at 100% till 11,750 then from there up it drops back to 80% even though the dyno operator has the throttle manually held WFO.

There are some US customers who have bought the race ECU to get around this.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 136 Posts