Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
are you looking for stock or aftermarket?

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Have a look at Ivan's Performance (one of the site sponsors). He made a thread about several incremental improvements to achieve about 170 hp and around 82 - 83 lb.ft of torque (but without changing camshafts or pistons).

I have a suspicion that it will be hard to do much more than that without major compromises in other areas and/or without spending HUGE money on it. The stock pistons are already short-skirt, quite light, rather high compression ratio. (Do you really want to be *stuck* with running race fuel only?) The stock cams already have rather long duration (have a look at the cam timing specifications in the shop manual).

The amount of torque that a normally-aspirated gasoline engine can produce is limited by the amount of air and fuel that it can breathe in. The 82 - 83 lb.ft per litre of displacement which Ivan got is at the outer boundaries of what's normally seen. MotoGP bikes are in this same range - they make their power by making that torque at higher revs, and that requires a lot more internal surgery in order to stay together at those higher revs. Even Formula 1 cars are only slightly higher than this.

If what you are starting with is pretty good, usually wild camshafts only move the torque peak to higher revs (but compromise low-end and mid-range). Is that what you really want ... ? ? ?

I'm not bashing the idea, I'm only trying to make sure you're aware of the issues and costs, and you know what you are getting into ...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
jburmeister said:
Looking for information on pistons and cams for 04 ZX10R, so if anyone has anything please let me know!!!!!
Pistons if avail. would be from JE or Weisco. Cams if avail from Yosh or WebCam. I believe Attack perf. may now have some 10r motor parts available. Another person who might help, is Kelley Robertson, in Texas. I have lost his ph #(ask for that phone number on the "help me beat pesky" thread) Kelley's conservative motor building philosophy has yielded great motors that don't break. His head work is consistently top notch. Happy motoring!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
jburmeister said:
Aftermarket. Looking into seeing how much I can get without turboing the bike (I still like to do standups :)
A normally aspirated motor will almost never have the hp potential of a turbo. Don't dispair, your 10r will respond very well to a good pipe, and properly tuned power commander. If in your area you have access to a dyno that has the auto tuning link (dyno jet only-I think) you can produce a map that not only takes into account your choice of pipe, but it will also compensate for production variables that your particular motor may have. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
You could also look at carpenter racing. They are doing a bunch of work with the 10 right now and could probably give you some good places to get em.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I Thought Carpenter Racing Was Previously Discussed And There Was A Lot Of Mixed Review On Their Quality....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Kawaski is releasing a "race kit" that will have engine parts available. I have talked with a few people about it and the stuff is almost all in the us. They are catalogging it right now and should be available some time next month. I know there are pistons, cams, as well as several other VERY trick pieces.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Hell yeah Kawi doesnt offer anything in the mild hop up department just flat out balls to the walls high dollar racing equipment.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Top Shelf said:
Kawaski is releasing a "race kit" that will have engine parts available. I have talked with a few people about it and the stuff is almost all in the us. They are catalogging it right now and should be available some time next month. I know there are pistons, cams, as well as several other VERY trick pieces.
TEASE!!! Keep us updated. I may wait to pull the motor untill some "stuff" is available.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
There have been race kit parts around for some time. (My side-mount steering damper bracket was a race-kit part.) But the trouble has been that actually ordering and getting these parts has been like pulling teeth!! Dealers had no access to the part numbers and couldn't order on those part numbers even if they had them. You basically had to "know somebody" in order to get them ... that's how I got that part. The one exception has been that thin head gasket, and the trick ECU with its programming $oftware. (and I $pelled $oftware with a "$" for a rea$on ... $ $ $ ! ! !)

Are they going to make life easier, and hopefully le$$ expen$ive?? Sure would be nice.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
GoFaster said:
There have been race kit parts around for some time. (My side-mount steering damper bracket was a race-kit part.) But the trouble has been that actually ordering and getting these parts has been like pulling teeth!! Dealers had no access to the part numbers and couldn't order on those part numbers even if they had them. You basically had to "know somebody" in order to get them ... that's how I got that part. The one exception has been that thin head gasket, and the trick ECU with its programming $oftware. (and I $pelled $oftware with a "$" for a rea$on ... $ $ $ ! ! !)

Are they going to make life easier, and hopefully le$$ expen$ive?? Sure would be nice.
There have been 'kit' parts available BUT not pistons & cams (big diff). Through my emails with Ryan Schnitz the kit ECU isn't worth the xtra $$$$.

BD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts