Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Simply put really amazing tyres. Consider stepping up to the sc versions. If you can manage the cost you will not be disapointed

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I would second that the Pirelli's won the tire shoot out in several bike tests. Their price is really high though. I have used the SC2 slicks and those thing are just flat out awesome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The funny thing is I am find the SCs for less than the SPs.... How are the SCs for the weekend road toy.... I heard the where not to good cold, of course I am in Tampa so cold is relative

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The funny thing is I am find the SCs for less than the SPs.... How are the SCs for the weekend road toy.... I heard the where not to good cold, of course I am in Tampa so cold is relative

You might be seeing the OLD version of the SC for sale. Make sure you're looking at Version 2 for SC.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am an average track day punter and I love them. The Gen 4 has a reputation for eating back tyre in my neighbourhood. The track is very abbraisive. I just get 2 track days out of a back tyre. Even with 6 mm in the shock for ride height and a re spring re valve. I love the tyres though. Great grip and give me a lot of confidence and feedback. More setup and better technique might improve my tyre life and your track probably isn't as hard on tyres.try them . You won't be able to get the grin off your face:)

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
sigh. damn tire threads. you realize, every brand, has specific riding characteristics. what kinda riding do you do. do you like controlled or squirrely. do you like a tire that moves a lot or a little. are you changing your suspension between brands so that its set properly for the new tires. is your suspension even set properly for the tires you do have.

personally, i prefer dunlops. because of the turn in profile, the drop to the side quick and love to be there, they hold like a rail and they don't move cuz of the stiff carcass and they're easily controllable when sliding. i don't like pirelli's because they wobble and give a lot and don't drop into corners as well but they give more and you'll feel em moving under ya. some riders like that. i, am not one of those riders.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks........That is great info

To be honest I am not even sure I am capable enough to tax the suspension or tires. My biggest concern was their predictability, do not want a tire that i leave a rest stop from and it is like ice.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Thanks........That is great info

To be honest I am not even sure I am capable enough to tax the suspension or tires. My biggest concern was their predictability, do not want a tire that i leave a rest stop from and it is like ice.
if you're out running around and pull off for 15 minutes then go back out you'll be fine. hard braking and acceleration while straight up and down is how you put heat in tires, so just gas hard brake hard gas hard brake hard a couple times and you're good to go. any bike, needs its suspension tweaked for the tires its on to be running properly. otherwise, it's not going to run the way you want. if a tires 2 mil taller in the front and 2 mil shorter in the back, now you got a flat ass bike that won't finish a turn well and you wont know why but it's cuz you didnt adjust your suspension for the change in tire sizing and instead go "damn these blah brand suck!" when really, they don't.

but, if you dont have much experience, and aren't pushing it hard, any tire, will suit you fine. you dont need the best of the best tire but it sure helps. you can drag your elbows on stock tires if you're smooth enough but most people just go bah these are crap! and buy better ones.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good input. Over here (Sepang) the temp plays a huge role, for the battle of consistency the SPs are better compared to say, BT16 or GPs. Among the upper end of the scale, SC2s rule supreme over the Power Ones n R10s. Set it up to 26/28 psi for track n it'll serve u well lap after lap with no hint of performance degradation.

Then again, u need at least a base suspension setup to maximize the gain from em tyres

·
Registered
9 Posts
You might be seeing the OLD version of the SC for sale. Make sure you're looking at Version 2 for SC.

ill second this advice i think the tread pattern is differant thats a easy way to tell,,,

im not sure were the sc2 compound info is written on the tyre either

i ended up with a old version, was still a ok tyre i did get ther rear sliding twice tho, under lent over acceleration

i run front half of fastest group at track days

1 - 12 of 12 Posts