Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that there is a difference in these two tires. Does anyone have pictures of the two or any more info on the difference....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Weird...it is very possible that I missed something ... but...

I think there are two types of Michelins:

Pilot Powers (street tire)

Power Races (Race tire (soft/med/hard compounds))

I've run both and I love them.

Difference is the compound and shaping of the tire.

The Power Races are more aggressive and turn in faster. Power races are also a race rubber compound, more prone to heat cycles, longer heating time, etc..

The pilot powers are a street tire, less prone to heat cycling, great in the rain, lots of tread, good mileage, and pretty sticky for a street tire.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
614 Posts
10roller said:
i know the pilot race are availabe in hard, med/soft, and soft compound....
That's the old Pilot tyre.

People, just make sure you understand the difference. There are Pilot Roads, Pilot Powers, Pilot Race, Pilot Power Race. They are ALL different tyres.

Basically the current sticky road tyre is the Pilot Power, and the new replacement for the Pilot Race is the Pilot *Power* Race.

These are avaialble in soft, medium/soft and medium compounds. Looks as though most people will go for front med, read med combination.

They are a different tyre and work differently to the old Pilot Race tyres, particularly the front.

I'm yet to give em a bash, but would be keen if they made a 190/55 which they don't as yet.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Someone in the marketing department at Michelin needs to get a clue and develop some more distinct names for their tires. Bad juju to make things so confusing for the consumer. :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Pilot Power races here come in much diff compounds. They are dual compounds that means in center you have harder compounds than at edges. I tryed medium/soft at back and soft front.
Still not convinced. Guess old pilot races were beter for me. Or i just had bad day at track.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts