Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange thing today at the track ref the PPs. Last time I ran 30 PSI (COLD) front and rear in my PPs. Today a very experienced racer said I should be running 35-37 cold in PPs. He said that 30 PSI will put me on my ass with the PPs on the track. Well, I tried 35 cold, went out and got them warmed up and the front felt skiddish to me.....didn't like it. Lowered the pressure 3 PSI and it felt OK again. What gives? Any one else hear that?

Think I am going to Pirelli Corsa III next time.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Your own feel should be more valid than someone elses opinion. Even though the other person is very experienced, your suspension is bound to be working differently, the weight distribution (the way you sit, and use the throttle) must be different, the bike attitude (ride height, front and back) might be different as well.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Your own feel should be more valid than someone elses opinion. Even though the other person is very experienced, your suspension is bound to be working differently, the weight distribution (the way you sit, and use the throttle) must be different, the bike attitude (ride height, front and back) might be different as well.
all things to consider for sure.............oh and BTW 35-37 cold PSI is complete bolderdash!! :eyecrazy:

BD

·
Registered
625 Posts
Dont know too many experienced racers that run Pilot Powers on the track, hahahaha.... sounds like he was full of crap.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I run 30-32 depending on conditions. I also run equal pressures front and rear... I run 5-7 seconds behind the expert ccs guys in my region. Thats about as much as the powers can take...

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have been playing with the pressure in my Pilot Powers also. On my last track day I ran 34 in front and back and the track day before that I ran 32 front and back. I will say that 34 felt better to me. I think it is personal preference as long as you don't go to extremes. When I asked a Michelin tire rep at the track he said 36. I have read that if the pressure is to low the tire can over heat and if the pressure is to high the tire doesn't heat evenly:dontknow:

I guess that is why there is thread after thread about tire pressure.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I also tried bumping my pressures up on saturday. (had a track day) and at 33 psi it was not good. Too much sliding for me. 30.5 psi seems to be my sweet spot. It just sticks well there. I'm on a 636 however...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am far from being an expert but maybe some of the more experienced guys can chime in but I tend to stay between 29.5 and 32 depending on the temperature outside and will adjust the pressure as the temps rise during the day.... maybe I'm way off but it seems to work for me:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I just smack my tires with a tire iron, looking for a certain bounce, and sound (Oh wait that's on my 18 wheeler) (Oh crap, I don't have an 18 wheeler, I don't even drive a truck) (Nut's, I'm screwed, the passes should re-open any day now, and riding season start my mental health recovery)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also tried bumping my pressures up on saturday. (had a track day) and at 33 psi it was not good. Too much sliding for me. 30.5 psi seems to be my sweet spot. It just sticks well there. I'm on a 636 however...
Yep, 31 was the cold PSI F & R for my first trackday and it stuck, no sliding. At 35 cold on the second track day, the front felt skiddish even after warmed up.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
all things to consider for sure.............oh and BTW 35-37 cold PSI is complete bolderdash!! :eyecrazy:

BD
:+1: :iamwithst I dont even run that temp in my PP's on the street

·
Registered
325 Posts
hey big daddy..

how did you know it's street ride? I'm still riding fast. What do you recommend? It even feels like I'm going fast...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
hey big daddy..

how did you know it's street ride? I'm still riding fast. What do you recommend? It even feels like I'm going fast...
well honestly i don't however when the word twisties was used i made an assumption it was on the street so if i'm wrong my apologies, in any event 36/40 is high even for the street let alone a trackday event but in the end if its what you like then stick with it.

BD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts