Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys here's the deal i picked up some kawi race cams for my 05 zx10 im going to have my valves adjusted also while the cams are being put in what else will compliment these "cams" its gonna be re-tuned i have a pc3 -1+1 gipro quickshifter 1/5 throttle insert boz exhaust and bmc air filter i was thinking maybe some mild porting and polishing of the head ? i need some help from you guys riding season is ending soon so im not in a rush i want to get this done and also have her repainted thanks in advance be safe out there :thumbsup:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I say Velocity Stacks and thin head gasket... That's all I can add to the mix. Maybe for exotic items, ceramic bearings.

·
Registered
443 Posts
ok guys here's the deal i picked up some kawi race cams for my 05 zx10 im going to have my valves adjusted also while the cams are being put in what else will compliment these "cams" its gonna be re-tuned i have a pc3 -1+1 gipro quickshifter 1/5 throttle insert boz exhaust and bmc air filter i was thinking maybe some mild porting and polishing of the head ? i need some help from you guys riding season is ending soon so im not in a rush i want to get this done and also have her repainted thanks in advance be safe out there :thumbsup:

What is the part number for the cams? Also where did you buy them from? You might as well get the thin head gasket from kawi when you do that from what people tell me.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say Velocity Stacks and thin head gasket... That's all I can add to the mix. Maybe for exotic items, ceramic bearings.
i changed the taller stacks to smaller stacks so all four of mine are smaller stack more for mid range power ms garth told me so i got those from him a while back o yea i forgot about the thinner head gasket thats a must thanks :mrgreen:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the part number for the cams? Also where did you buy them from? You might as well get the thin head gasket from kawi when you do that from what people tell me.
i got the cams from my buddy that lives here but i will get the part # tonight when i get home from work and post pics :thumbsup:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hurry up and dyno the combination, heh.

It's essentially what I'm running on in my 05 and looks to be along the lines of what U would like to have setup for next year. I realize dyno graphs are different for everyone, I'm really just curious.

Good luck with the combo!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hurry up and dyno the combination, heh.

It's essentially what I'm running on in my 05 and looks to be along the lines of what U would like to have setup for next year. I realize dyno graphs are different for everyone, I'm really just curious.

Good luck with the combo!
hey man how did your bike perform with the cams ? i know dyno graphs are different but i still like to look @ them and see other dyno #s and thanks for the good luck im hoping she comes out real beastly :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm actually in the process of getting the cams and looking for a shop to do the head work at a decent price. That's why I'm curious on your run, heh.

I'm currently ("performance wise") running full race exhaust, filter, short stacks, 2nd gen fuel injectors, removed flies, and PC3.

Also running a 520 chain setup -1/+1 and looking to put in hybrid ceramic wheel bearings. I hope to see 160 with cams and such, but I'm happy with the bike now. The dyno is more just to get my bike tuned as I haven't done it yet and just took the bike off the road for the winter.

All my buddies ride 600's so there is no major dick measuring contests to engage in around here, haha.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm actually in the process of getting the cams and looking for a shop to do the head work at a decent price. That's why I'm curious on your run, heh.

I'm currently ("performance wise") running full race exhaust, filter, short stacks, 2nd gen fuel injectors, removed flies, and PC3.

Also running a 520 chain setup -1/+1 and looking to put in hybrid ceramic wheel bearings. I hope to see 160 with cams and such, but I'm happy with the bike now. The dyno is more just to get my bike tuned as I haven't done it yet and just took the bike off the road for the winter.

All my buddies ride 600's so there is no major dick measuring contests to engage in around here, haha.
o ok our set up is pretty much going to be the same i will start on mine as soon as i close on my house on november 18 long expensive process its a bunch of different bikes out here all sizes and everybody talk trash and say there bike is faster then this that and the other thats why im planning on spray to top it off but i want to hide the bottles get to forth gear and let them have it air they ass out lol good luck with the build im gonna send you a friends request so we can stay in touch on each other progress and give helpful hints & info :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
279 Posts
Accepted request.

I'm really just looking to squeeze out a little more power for minimal cost. Want to keep the machine as "current" as possible. Boss won't let me buy a new (second) bike yet, so I got a green light to make this ride a little bit "newer". So I sold my 01 ZX6 off and have been using the $$$ for the 10.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Accepted request.

I'm really just looking to squeeze out a little more power for minimal cost. Want to keep the machine as "current" as possible. Boss won't let me buy a new (second) bike yet, so I got a green light to make this ride a little bit "newer". So I sold my 01 ZX6 off and have been using the $$$ for the 10.
i want something new soooo bad but with this house thing going on i cant afford any more bills :headshake

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,128 Posts
where you located? you can do it with me and it ll be free. i did my 05 and 08 within the last couple of months. :thumbsup:
Accepted request.

·
Registered
681 Posts
New plugs, Degree cams, mill the head rather than just a thin gasket,new valve retainers. The polishing and porting is just extra the head is pretty clean form factory, so I was told. Garth could answer that one better.
When it was time for my valves to be adjusted I did the same thing.
Milled the head,oem race cam, Ti valve spring(gotta have them for the cam)new retainers,degreed cams,bmc air filter,clean fuel injectors, and a map when its all done.
Before work was done 159 on a Dyno jett.
After the work was done 167 on a different Dyno jett. I am trying to go back to the first dyno but it is a moblie one so they are hard to find. I really do not care what the sheet says. The butt meter says it is super fast.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
thin head gasket

more power made with thin hg than milling head, mill after thg for more compression if desired. thg makes more power a couple of ways and is more effective. milling only raises compression by the amount removed from combustion chamber volume. thg reduces the volume of the bore and the chamber combined for max comp.increase. many see the thg only in terms of compression, but the tightened quench area between the piston and head is responsible for just as much of the power increased. minimuim quench is critical in making power in todays big bore engines where fuel is left cooled and unburned in this area at tdc, burning only after piston moves down decreasing compression and max cyl. pressure burn for best hp. reducing this area by hg reduces fuel trapped there at tdc, forces it out in the chamber with turbulence aiding in fast, total burn of all fuel mixture taken in. a tight quench engine will always make more power than than the std. safety quench provided by the manufacturers with compression equal. takes more milling to produce same compression as thg, reduces ptv more, mixture is wasted in quench area, and makes less power alone. hands up to kawasaki, the racing .045 hg was designed to minimize quench to a perfect .026-.028 clearence and increase compression, u can have ur cake and eat it too. go hg first.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
more power made with thin hg than milling head, mill after thg for more compression if desired. thg makes more power a couple of ways and is more effective. milling only raises compression by the amount removed from combustion chamber volume. thg reduces the volume of the bore and the chamber combined for max comp.increase. many see the thg only in terms of compression, but the tightened quench area between the piston and head is responsible for just as much of the power increased. minimuim quench is critical in making power in todays big bore engines where fuel is left cooled and unburned in this area at tdc, burning only after piston moves down decreasing compression and max cyl. pressure burn for best hp. reducing this area by hg reduces fuel trapped there at tdc, forces it out in the chamber with turbulence aiding in fast, total burn of all fuel mixture taken in. a tight quench engine will always make more power than than the std. safety quench provided by the manufacturers with compression equal. takes more milling to produce same compression as thg, reduces ptv more, mixture is wasted in quench area, and makes less power alone. hands up to kawasaki, the racing .045 hg was designed to minimize quench to a perfect .026-.028 clearence and increase compression, u can have ur cake and eat it too. go hg first.
ok thanks man very well put i appreciate the info you answered my question completely about the head work vs the head gasket let me ask you this would i have more gains with the head work plus the thinner head gasket?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is the part # for the cams the # stamped of the cams ? my cams have
1001ex
10011 1 n
thats whats stamped on the cams i cant find any info online or on here with those part #s :headshake

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
good info right here :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts