Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He does bild nice bike and he not the only one who builds them in Californa. I think he got the shaft on this deal.

LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) - "Monster Garage" reality show host Jesse James has agreed to pay $271,250 for violating California's air quality laws by selling motorcycles that did not meet the state's strict emissions standards, authorities said.

His Long Beach motorcycle building shop, West Coast Choppers, sold more than 50 new or custom-built motorcycles between 1998 and 2005 that were not certified by the Air Resources Board, the agency said in a statement Friday.

Attempts to reach James for comment Friday were unsuccessful. An employee who answered the phone at West Coast Choppers said the company would have no comment.

As part of a settlement, the shop is building motorcycles that comply with emission standards, the board said.

James is married to actress Sandra Bullock. His Discovery Channel series about customized vehicles aired for five seasons.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i'm sure those 50 bikes contaminated the air much worse than the hundreds of trucks comeing from and going to mexico, what a joke. he must have pissed/not paid off the wrong inspector.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
And the government wonders why so many manufacturers go to Mexico. I assume if his bikes were final assembled in another state he would be ok. It would be just like Harley. Made from Jap and mexican parts, but has final assembly in the states so it is "Made in America".

·
Registered
171 Posts
Arnold must be jelous of jesse getting sandra bullock. All he got was a shitty kennedy relative, and we all know the deal with those kennedy's!

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
It seems strange that he has to do that, as the "kit car" law is a lot less stringent, I guess motorcycles just get a bum rap, I wonder how OCC are going to get around this with their production bikes, mufflers, air pumps and Cats ?? Fender placements and size, turn signal spacing, high and low beam lights etc..etc..

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
The kit car law does not apply if you build more than a specified number of bikes.

The old EPA standards had NO allowance for small-volume manufacturers. The new standards allow people to build a small (VERY small) number of non-complying vehicles, and it has a provision in it for engine manufacturers to certify their engine and then custom vehicle manufacturers to use that engine as long as they DO NOT modify it. No straight pipe exhausts any more. This is the only way a place like OCC can operate any more.

I wonder if any of the other small volume manufacturers have gotten in trouble yet. Jesse James was high profile because of the TV show. OCC could have some headaches, too, because New York uses the California standards.

Doesn't matter if the vehicle is built in another state or in another country, either. That doesn't relieve the responsibility.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Just curious, Then does this mean that I cannot ride my non-cali bike in cali. If I cross the border then can I get a ticket?

·
Registered
471 Posts
speedfreak said:
Just curious, Then does this mean that I cannot ride my non-cali bike in cali. If I cross the border then can I get a ticket?
This may mean that a lot of Harley (and others) owners will be going back to the dealer for some stock exhaust systems. EPA laws that went into effect in 2006 are probably responsible and may eventually affect anyone who has tampered with their stock equipment. Of course, that won't bother any of us, right?:lol:

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
speedfreak said:
If your bike is STOCK then that is not so. The emission regulations apply to manufacturers of *new* vehicles (as Jesse James has found out the hard way). Anti-tampering laws apply to owners and mechanics. Someone from outside California can operate their non-California vehicle without a problem. A California resident cannot legally register a NEW non-California vehicle but they can legally register a USED non-California vehicle if it has at least 7500 miles on it.

If you have "tampered" with the noise and emission equipment on your vehicle then all bets are off, you can theoretically get a tampering ticket and it doesn't matter if it was California emissions or not ...

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
wash23 said:
This may mean that a lot of Harley (and others) owners will be going back to the dealer for some stock exhaust systems. EPA laws that went into effect in 2006 are probably responsible and may eventually affect anyone who has tampered with their stock equipment. Of course, that won't bother any of us, right?:lol:
Actually, the 2006 EPA laws for the first time give *some* allowance for owner-built non-complying vehicles and *small* kit vehicle manufacturers, and they give allowance for larger kit vehicle manufacturers to use engines that have been built and emission-certified independently of the vehicle. The vehicle builder has to incorporate all of the emission and noise control from the manufacturer of the certified engine.

Before 2006, there was NO allowance for any of this. ALL vehicles with a new VIN had to meet ALL the emission and noise regulations.

I don't get how those custom bikes pass ANY of the noise, emission, or safety (lighting) regulations ... Someone in the licensing offices has been lax to allow this to happen ALL ALONG ... I know that in Canada you cannot get a custom bike registered with a new VIN, and I know someone who bought and built a Titan kit bike who found that out the hard way. Transport Canada is very nitpicky about compliance. Small volume cCustom bike builders have to go through the same Transport Canada certification process as everyone else does.

'Course, there are ways around this if you have access to a VIN from, say, a '67 Harley ...

·
Registered
119 Posts
FAF said:
It seems strange that he has to do that, as the "kit car" law is a lot less stringent, I guess motorcycles just get a bum rap, I wonder how OCC are going to get around this with their production bikes, mufflers, air pumps and Cats ?? Fender placements and size, turn signal spacing, high and low beam lights etc..etc..
I wonder if they might build the bike with one particular header/pipe setup on it which has a proper muffler and cat and whatever is needed, but when you buy the bike it may Come with a "kit" exhaust which "can be installed by the dealer as an aftermarket upgrade", which of course will be the exhaust that needed to be on the bike all along. :dontknow: :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
booneylander said:
I wonder if they might build the bike with one particular header/pipe setup on it which has a proper muffler and cat and whatever is needed, but when you buy the bike it may Come with a "kit" exhaust which "can be installed by the dealer as an aftermarket upgrade", which of course will be the exhaust that needed to be on the bike all along. :dontknow: :dontknow:
I was just wondering that. I know alot of car dealers sell cars/trucks with aftermarket packages installed on them. Or maybe sell that bike as a "competion only" bike "not for street use" like all of our pipes says on them. Then its not his fault the customer tried to ride it on the street. OR divide into two companies. One that builds epa passing custom bikes and a second shop (actually the same shop, just a different name) that will do custom exhaust etc after the customer has purchased the bike.

I dunno, the gov. uses alot of red tape to get things to work for them, so why can't we?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts