Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Are pets equal to humans?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people here think that animals are equal to humans? I am of the belief that animals, pets, are property and nothing close to being human. I am bringing this up because of a thread in one of the local forums i surf where a couple people keep referring to their dogs as their kids. I find this to be wildly ubsurd. Just wondering if i'm the only one around that believes that an animals life is no were close to equal that of a human's life, much less my kid's life.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
No, but for many owners of Dogs or other pets they are or can be like family but if I had to choose to put my dog or son to sleep the Pet comes first....with that said I might even risk putting my life in jeopardy in certain situations to keep my dog alive....that's the family part when it comes to my pets.:wink:

·
Registered
424 Posts
If i had to choose between the life of a half way decent human and an animal i would pick the human but dont bag on people w.ho love their pets. Nothing wrong with it. Know this. if you'd hurt one of my DOgs id beat the living crap out of you.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah i got a dog and i kinda treat her like my kid. But then again i dont have any kids nor do i want any right now. So my dog gets what she wants.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I will never allow my self to get attached to a pet, sure I have a dog & cat,
& they get taken care of & thats as far as it goes with me.

Now my inlaws...total different story. They treat there pets like family
to where its down right embarrasing...... & absured.

Got the 3rd degree once for saying I feed my lab table scraps
Damn right I do!

To each there own I suppose. :dontknow:

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I probablly treat my dog like a normal person would their kid. But my logical side clearly tells me that a human life is more important than an animal's.

My wife would probablly need some time to think if she was forced to choose between saving my life or the dog's. :headshake

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wife and I don't have any kids (yet - not sure what the future holds), but do have three cats. We don't refer to them as "our kids" and I think that some of the people that my wife know (other forum) have issues when they refer to their pets as "children" or worse, "fur babies". Ain't never gonna happen in this household.

However, when I get home from work, my cat comes to see me at the door. She's always by my side in the morning, purring and rubbing on me. It amazes me how simple animals can show such unconditional love. So, with that, if anyone ever messed with our animals, there would be hell to pay and the scum would count himself lucky to leave with his life. Yeah, I'm a bit protective.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
i hate when someone compare their pets as equal with humans. yes i understand the love and bond like a family or child. but hurricane Katrina showed just how quickly that so called family member or child can get tied to a pole and left behind with good wishes. you don't have those types of options with humans. unless your one of those screwed up parents or a fu_ked humanbeing in general. then thats a different story. i have 4 dogs i think their pretty cool most of the time but no where near human. hell no! if i ever have to get rid of 1 or 2 their gone period. their pets.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think the chances of choosing between a human or pet are pretty slim and mostly hypothetical. But my dog IS family and treated so. Besides, I like him more that most people I know.

kawazeppelin

·
Registered
24 Posts
I refer to my horses as my 'kids' because they're about as intelligent as a 5 year old human. (And have about as much patience) While I won't quite say they are equal to humans, they rate a lot higher on my scale than a lot of adult humans do. And unlike children, I can close the pen and walk away from them when they're being selfish asses. :lol:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i love animals. i treat them like i would any human being. if you were to ask me if there was a fire and i had to save a person or my dog that i have taken care of and loved for 10 years, i would have to think about it (depending on who the person was) most of the time i feel that i could kill a person before i could kill a dog. i think it is mostly the fact that they a some what defenseless when it comes to certain situations. and when i hear stories like the one a couple of months ago when the two p.o.s. human beings tied that puppy up and put it in the oven to kill it just makes my feelings that much stronger. if you treat them right pets can be more loyal to you than most people you know.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
I run in to so many dogs doing my job and they go from pet to threat real quick, so many irrisponsible dog owners out there have jaded me on the whole pet thing :headshake when my last dog passed away that was it for me

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
i love animals. i treat them like i would any human being. if you were to ask me if there was a fire and i had to save a person or my dog that i have taken care of and loved for 10 years, i would have to think about it (depending on who the person was) most of the time i feel that i could kill a person before i could kill a dog. i think it is mostly the fact that they a some what defenseless when it comes to certain situations. and when i hear stories like the one a couple of months ago when the two p.o.s. human beings tied that puppy up and put it in the oven to kill it just makes my feelings that much stronger. if you treat them right pets can be more loyal to you than most people you know.
:+1: :iamwithst :eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1, very rarely will a pet out and out try and fuck you over, nothing like coming home and having that wagging tail ready to play and the unconditional love only a pet can give you.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
yep all the above pets tug at your heart strings but they dont equal a human life(as long as the human is a productive member of society not a drain on taxpayers)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
It is rediculous to weigh comparisons between say your dogs and your kids but damn considering what some people do, you can't even refer to them as animals cause animals don't even do that!

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Domesticated animals need a human around to care for them. They return the favor with unconditional love and affection. Can't always say the same for humans, unfortunately.
But given the hypothetical option of saving one or the other from the proverbial burning building, it would have to be the human regardless of the feelings I might have toward them.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If there comes the day when there's an asshole and my half chow half mutt lil female light of my life dog that needs to be rescued from a burning building. The person had better be able to find their way out, I'll risk life and limb to get my dog out...sorry people.

·
.net Most Followed Member
8,795 Posts
:+1: :iamwithst :eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1, very rarely will a pet out and out try and fuck you over, nothing like coming home and having that wagging tail ready to play and the unconditional love only a pet can give you.
:+2: :+2: :+2: :+2: :mrgreen: well said Paul :wink: always had pets and know what u talk about here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts