Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was 60 degrees after a 2 week spell of shitty weather. So i went to the dragstrip. I have been trying a new technique of launching the bike and it seems to work for me. Before i was slipping the clutch out around 6-7k rpms and getting shitty ET's and 60 foot times. My ET's use to be 10.20's to 10.30's @ 138ish mph and 1.80-1.90 60 foots. Now i am leaving at 3-4k and getting out of the clutch asap. The clutch is all the way out before i pass the tree and rolling into the gas hard. Heres what i got today from fastest to slowest.
1.76 60 foot 6.61 @ 115 1/8 mile 10.03 @ 142
1.74 6.63 @ 115 10.05 @ 142
1.80 6.65 @ 116 10.06 @ 143
1.78 6.64 @ 115 10.08 @ 141
1.81 6.66 @ 115 10.07 @ 142
1.78 6.64 @ 115 10.08 @ 141
1.86 6.77 @ 115 10.20 @ 142 spun off the line trying higher 4500k launch
1.76 6.76 @ 114 10.21 @ 141 got squirrely at half track
1.82 6.79 @ 113 10.26 @ 140 wheelie in first had to let off

Now i know lots of you guys have done much better but i am just happy as hell with myself today. :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Good job bubba!!!! The best I could muster today is a 10.7 @ 140 with a 1.8 60ft time!!!!! So your like years ahead of me!!!!! Good Job!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I got really squirrely right after the 1/8, felt like my rear end was about to break lose!!! I still ran a 10.7 @ 122mph. I think I would have ran about a 10.4, 10.5 If that would not have happened!! After the Rear broke lose, the front also suffered from headshake!! I about shit my pants, and after that I left feeling lucky to be in one peice!!!!!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
DethsZX10 said:
Ive been reading your post Bragg. You'll get there man. I'm still trying for that 9.99 myself.
Damm, and you almost did it too:thumbsup: ...I know the feeling as knocking on the door just like you but with kinda like your old method, not what you tried today. So, quess it wouldn't hurt for the next time I go to try yours...who knows maybe it will help.:idea:

but glad anyway you got some good times and alot of passes...keep it up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Keep practicing and those ET's will drop. :helmet:

·
Registered
403 Posts
bluedevil said:
Damm, and you almost did it too:thumbsup: ...I know the feeling as knocking on the door just like you but with kinda like your old method, not what you tried today. So, quess it wouldn't hurt for the next time I go to try yours...who knows maybe it will help.:idea:

but glad anyway you got some good times and alot of passes...keep it up:thumbsup:

What Bloo and RR, you guys don't know how to say hello to me anymore??????? What?? I'm not in the 9 Sec club or something!!!! And to think I thought we were friends!!!!! You Fugers!!!!!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bluedevil said:

Blue i was just watching those videos of Norm Jackson on the 10 and Gadson on the 14. Now those guys are super talented but i noticed that they are out of the clutch right out of the hole. But they do leave at alot higher RPM then i do. I figured shit! I need to get this clutch out and at WOT ASAP. With the bike lowered and strapped and geared theres not much need to slip it out pass the 60 foots. The extra gear will pull it thru. Last pass of the day i left at 3000 RPM hammered the gas and ran that 10.03. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
403 Posts
That is what I've been working on also....I try to go WOT by 20ft into the run.......Sologreen was at the track today....His 636 was making 10's all day long!!!! He is a good rider....

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bragg10r said:
That is what I've been working on also....I try to go WOT by 20ft into the run.......Sologreen was at the track today....His 636 was making 10's all day long!!!! He is a good rider....
Bragg are your lowered and strapped? From what i can remeber (things happens so fast) i am at WOT with the clutch all the way out just pass the christmas trees.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
DethsZX10 said:
Blue i was just watching those videos of Norm Jackson on the 10 and Gadson on the 14. Now those guys are super talented but i noticed that they are out of the clutch right out of the hole. But they do leave at alot higher RPM then i do. I figured shit! I need to get this clutch out and at WOT ASAP. With the bike lowered and strapped and geared theres not much need to slip it out pass the 60 foots. The extra gear will pull it thru. Last pass of the day i left at 3000 RPM hammered the gas and ran that 10.03. :thumbsup:

I totally agree...got to get that clutch out fast...I do but I am waiting/sliping the clutch to long I believe but still did a 10.07s with a 6k launch...then there are members here that can launch even higher than that and get better times so I tried to go higher....never thought about going lower though...so well see....I'll try anything to get in the 9s this year..:thumbsup:

What's your gearing?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Lowered and strapped...I am going to go to the next hole in my dogbones...I'll be about an inch off the ground.......I strap the shit out of her the front fender is about an inch from the nose.....my suspension is set for "S" (Soft). I rev her to about 4000rpm then try to go WOT by 20ft down the track, I am very iffy because I don't want to loop her. I am getting better with my clutch control (Thanks to Bluedevil) so all I am doing now is lifting about 2ft off the ground when I go WOT.....but with the 15T it hits redline so fast by the time i'm WOT it is time to shift to second, and sometimes my feet are not on the damn pegs yet...So I have alot to practice....... Your times are great, I see you into the 9 Sec club in a few months.... I'll see you there by next season!!!!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ohh yeah i forgot to mention this. But today was a unusual day that there was 6 total ZX-10's and a Z1000 and ZRX 1200 at the track out of 13 bikes. In a sea of Gixxers and Busa's it was rather cool to see all those Kawi's. What was funny is the 4 10's were employees of a dealership that let them go for less then 8K OTD on remaining 05's. Less then 250 miles and 30 day tags at the drags LOL.

·
Registered
585 Posts
bragg10r said:
Lowered and strapped...I am going to go to the next hole in my dogbones...I'll be about an inch off the ground.......I strap the shit out of her the front fender is about an inch from the nose.....my suspension is set for "S" (Soft). I rev her to about 4000rpm then try to go WOT by 20ft down the track, I am very iffy because I don't want to loop her. I am getting better with my clutch control (Thanks to Bluedevil) so all I am doing now is lifting about 2ft off the ground when I go WOT.....but with the 15T it hits redline so fast by the time i'm WOT it is time to shift to second, and sometimes my feet are not on the damn pegs yet...So I have alot to practice....... Your times are great, I see you into the 9 Sec club in a few months.... I'll see you there by next season!!!!!
That 15t is tricky man, I suggest launching at 4k.... go find you a nice spot to practice just your launch on do it slowly at first and then work your speed up, adjust your clutch lever so it's letting out at the very end.........this will help you ride it out.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
DethsZX10 said:
Ohh yeah i forgot to mention this. But today was a unusual day that there was 6 total ZX-10's and a Z1000 and ZRX 1200 at the track out of 13 bikes. In a sea of Gixxers and Busa's it was rather cool to see all those Kawi's. What was funny is the 4 10's were employees of a dealership that let them go for less then 8K OTD on remaining 05's. Less then 250 miles and 30 day tags at the drags LOL.

So, how did the other 10s do...I bet you were one of the best....get to go against busas or G1ks?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
bluedevil said:
I totally agree...got to get that clutch out fast...I do but I am waiting/sliping the clutch to long I believe but still did a 10.07s with a 6k launch...then there are members here that can launch even higher than that and get better times so I tried to go higher....never thought about going lower though...so well see....I'll try anything to get in the 9s this year..:thumbsup:

What's your gearing?
It is usually a 15/39 but i was taking some long trips a month ago so i went back to a 16/39. I think i need the 15T back on. I am shifting into 5th just a few hundred feet before the lights. With a 15T i should be deeper into 5th and in the meat of the powerband.

My buddies 10 went 9.60's with 1.58-1.63 60 foots all day. He's streched 6 inches though. The new guys ran surprisingly well. They were going 10.50's at 140 mph. Stock height and geared. But i think they are MotoX guys. So keeping the front end up or down is no biggie for them.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
DethsZX10 said:
It is usually a 15/39 but i was taking some long trips a month ago so i went back to a 16/39. I think i need the 15T back on. I am shifting into 5th just a few hundred feet before the lights. With a 15T i should be deeper into 5th and in the meat of the powerband.
that's weird because on my 16/40 I only need 4 gears(but am winding it out to the rev limmiter) but am getting into the 1.7s 60s alot..:dontknow:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bluedevil said:
that's weird because on my 16/40 I only need 4 gears(but am winding it out to the rev limmiter) but am getting into the 1.7s 60s alot..:dontknow:
I got my shift light set at 13K. I know its reads alot higher then what the engine is actually turning. What RPM are you shifting at and are you using the light for reference? I'm pretty sure im getting into 5th with the 16/39 gears.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I hit 4th gear only when hitting the Trap!!!! That is at about 11,000rpm in 4th...... I have never shifted into 5th gear!!!!!! I've been hitting 138-139ish, and the most I have gone with the 15T is 140mph. I beat a GSXR1000 (06) today, so i was happy!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts