Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new Penske 8983 Shock and I went to install it tonight and it doesn't fit. Checked the receipt and I was built for the correct model and year according to the paperwork.

The overall length from bolt to bolt is the same, it fits in place where it belongs, but the top eyelet is the issue. The bolt hole is a larger diameter and the width is much smaller. Did Penske mess up? Am I suppose to get a different upper mount to replace the stock one with it? Or purchase a separate one myself?

Anyone that has installed one of these shock please let me know how your installation went and what I'm missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did contact them, but they never really gave a straight answer, just said there could be a part missing, so then I contacted the distributor I bought it through and they said they would look into it and I never heard back from them either. Then today UPS comes with a package from Penske with a set of metal bushing.

Very glad that it was taken care of... but until the package showed up I thought they were just trying to ignore me - no one told me anything that the parts would be sent out.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I did contact them, but they never really gave a straight answer, just said there could be a part missing, so then I contacted the distributor I bought it through and they said they would look into it and I never heard back from them either. Then today UPS comes with a package from Penske with a set of metal bushing.

Very glad that it was taken care of... but until the package showed up I thought they were just trying to ignore me - no one told me anything that the parts would be sent out.
Good stuff, glad to see Penske takes care of it's customers!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did you mount the remote res?

You liking the shock?
I sent it back and had the hose lengthened by 3". It now ends up right behind the passenger peg mounts.

The supplier that I bought it through had it built by Traxxion Dynamics (not Penske directly as I originally thought). After waiting 2 weeks for an answer from my supplier about fixing the issue I finally contacted Traxxion directly and left a message with the receptionist. 6 hours later I get a call back and they guy was kinda wishy washy about it and then agreed with no resistance to fix it. They told me that once it came in they would fix it same or next day then send it right back. Sent it in and it got there in 2 days and it was another week after that, that they sent it back out. Over all from the time I made fist contact till the time I got the shock back was about 4.5 weeks!!!! Not very happy about that.

It is on the bike now and the fit is good, but I have a few other odds and ends to finish up then get the forks done so I have not even ridden it 2 feet yet with the new shock so I couldnt tell you exactly how I like it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sent it back and had the hose lengthened by 3". It now ends up right behind the passenger peg mounts.

The supplier that I bought it through had it built by Traxxion Dynamics (not Penske directly as I originally thought). After waiting 2 weeks for an answer from my supplier about fixing the issue I finally contacted Traxxion directly and left a message with the receptionist. 6 hours later I get a call back and they guy was kinda wishy washy about it and then agreed with no resistance to fix it. They told me that once it came in they would fix it same or next day then send it right back. Sent it in and it got there in 2 days and it was another week after that, that they sent it back out. Over all from the time I made fist contact till the time I got the shock back was about 4.5 weeks!!!! Not very happy about that.

It is on the bike now and the fit is good, but I have a few other odds and ends to finish up then get the forks done so I have not even ridden it 2 feet yet with the new shock so I couldnt tell you exactly how I like it.
Oops I forgot that this thread didn't include the other issue I had that I kind answered above... I had an issue with the remote reservoir hose being too short and not being able to mount it in any decent spot. Hence the reason I had to send it back...

Here is more info and pics on the issue I had: http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88398&page=23

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I was gonna say it was missing a bushing/spacer but you got it sorted out.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Please keep us up to date on the ride. I'm trying to determine if a shock (penske or ohlins... leaning towards penske) is a worthwhile buy for my 07 zx6. Also, what vendor did you get it from? It sounds like some of your grief came from the vendor you chose.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please keep us up to date on the ride. I'm trying to determine if a shock (penske or ohlins... leaning towards penske) is a worthwhile buy for my 07 zx6. Also, what vendor did you get it from? It sounds like some of your grief came from the vendor you chose.
I got it from a site sponsor Superbike Supply. I really don't think that they caused the grief. I have dealt with them many times before and had nothing but great experience with them. I'm pretty sure it was mostly from Traxxion Dynamics seeing how long the turn around time was to fix the issue in compared to what they said. Not saying that Traxxion are bad people to deal with at all, just not the customer service I expected.

I went with a Penske for mainly 2 reasons. First was the price. The 8983 is almost 1/2 the cost of a Ohlins TTX shock. My concern was that it was only double adjustable and not triple like the TTX and the higher end Penskes. After talking to some suspension guys they said that for street / track days that the 8983 would be vastly improved over stock and having the third adjustment would be good for maybe a few 1/10th per lap after I got super good. The second reason is that from who I talked to Penske is a better product.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Geez what a pain in the butt. I just got an Ohlins rear shock from them that was supposed to fit my bike and now I've got a nice ding/powder coat ripped off area the size of a dime where my top O' the line shock smashed my swingarm. Turns out both Ohlins and them had the wrong info. What a joke. What's the point of using a company like Ohlins when they don't even know what shock fits what bike?

Now I'm thinking of trying Penske and I see this.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Geez what a pain in the butt. I just got an Ohlins rear shock from them that was supposed to fit my bike and now I've got a nice ding/powder coat ripped off area the size of a dime where my top O' the line shock smashed my swingarm. Turns out both Ohlins and them had the wrong info. What a joke. What's the point of using a company like Ohlins when they don't even know what shock fits what bike?

Now I'm thinking of trying Penske and I see this.
I think it's just nature of the aftermarket world sometimes... I work in automotive aftermarket and even the companies that do the best R&D sometimes have hiccups.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I got it from a site sponsor Superbike Supply. I really don't think that they caused the grief. I have dealt with them many times before and had nothing but great experience with them. I'm pretty sure it was mostly from Traxxion Dynamics seeing how long the turn around time was to fix the issue in compared to what they said. Not saying that Traxxion are bad people to deal with at all, just not the customer service I expected.

I went with a Penske for mainly 2 reasons. First was the price. The 8983 is almost 1/2 the cost of a Ohlins TTX shock. My concern was that it was only double adjustable and not triple like the TTX and the higher end Penskes. After talking to some suspension guys they said that for street / track days that the 8983 would be vastly improved over stock and having the third adjustment would be good for maybe a few 1/10th per lap after I got super good. The second reason is that from who I talked to Penske is a better product.
I use Superbike Supply a lot too, I can agree that I probably wouldn't blame the event on them based off your story. I can also agree that the Penske is a good bit cheaper... I priced out a TTX in black for my zx6 and it was over $1500 dollars ($400 for the black anodizing, which is in itself ridiculous).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts