Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i installed the 8983 i purchased from green_zx after the rebuild. My question;

The spacer that kawasaki places on the 06-07 is different than the 04-05, so should i have the eye loop all the way in?

Is there a raise in ride height just by swapping the shock?

i havent set it up yet which i will tomorrow, i wanted to raise the rear another 5mm but if the shock is longer that means it wouldnt be smart to.

:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Ok so i installed the 8983 i purchased from green_zx after the rebuild. My question;

The spacer that kawasaki places on the 06-07 is different than the 04-05, so should i have the eye loop all the way in?

Is there a raise in ride height just by swapping the shock?

i havent set it up yet which i will tomorrow, i wanted to raise the rear another 5mm but if the shock is longer that means it wouldnt be smart to.

:dontknow:
I dont understand your first question but im sure you wont have any problems mounting that shock as long as you have the two bushings that come with the shock. The shock has an adjustment on it so you can set it to whatever height you like.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont understand your first question but im sure you wont have any problems mounting that shock as long as you have the two bushings that come with the shock. The shock has an adjustment on it so you can set it to whatever height you like.
the penske is longer than the factory at its shortest setting, the factory mount has a 6mm spacer that i think can be removed. The removal of the spacer vs. running it at its shortest is what im inquiring about.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you just need the eye to eye measurement for a 06-07 stock shock for referance?
if you have it, regardless i am going to do it tomorrow but i would like to crunch some numbers out regarding the spacer and how much i should adjust to make up a 5mm increase over stock, you think 10mm increase overall would be too much? i love a bike that slams turn in but i dont want too have it to weighed down up front.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
That penske shock should not be longer longer than a stock shock period considering the model# you provided. It is full adjustable length wise so you should have no problems what so ever. There for there is no need to take out the stock 5mm spacer kawi put on the bikes. Trust me as i know what im talking about. Heres a link to show you the specs.
http://www.sportbikesolutions.com/p...info-manufacturers_id-20-products_id-1245.htm

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That penske shock should not be longer longer than a stock shock period considering the model# you provided. It is full adjustable length wise so you should have no problems what so ever. There for there is no need to take out the stock 5mm spacer kawi put on the bikes. Trust me as i know what im talking about. Heres a link to show you the specs.
http://www.sportbikesolutions.com/p...info-manufacturers_id-20-products_id-1245.htm
Not arguing but where does it say anything about stock length?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Fred if you click on the link it will say that your specific shock will fit zx10s. I have had a second gen shock,third gen shock and a penske shock on my bike now and know that they are the same size and will fit with no problems. Im telling you that it will work out for you so no need to fret it.:wink:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
stock shock length is about 13 1/4 eye to eye. glad i could help.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fred if you click on the link it will say that your specific shock will fit zx10s. I have had a second gen shock,third gen shock and a penske shock on my bike now and know that they are the same size and will fit with no problems. Im telling you that it will work out for you so no need to fret it.:wink:
I think you are miss understanding me, i know it fits i have one on the bike now. I am comparing their(penske 8983 shock) length compared to the factory shock length.

Incase one is longer by a few mm, i dont to increase the ride height by 5mm if it is already increased by 6mm get what i mean.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I must be missing something here because i already told you that you can adjust the length of the shock and didnt answer your question so im at a lost at exactly what you need.:dontknow:

·
Registered
858 Posts
When I was using the shock I did not remove the spacer. I actually lengthened the shock 2-3mm. I found that this was not a drastic change but offer a quicker turn in. I would say leave the spacer and run the shock close to the stock length and ride it. What you may find is that you may want to lengthen the shock for a little quicker turn in. Also I was running my forks with the top of the fork tube flush with the opening in the upper triple. Basically the stock setting.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i lengthened 5mm, ok perfect thanks green. Dirt ninja the whole ordeal was the shock at shortest length compared to the stock thats all.

·
Registered
819 Posts
You can get a shock longer or shorter depending on how you order it. Or you can get it stock. The whole purpose of this is to be able to keep the stock dog bone length and thus keeping the same suspension geometry:thumbsup:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can get a shock longer or shorter depending on how you order it. Or you can get it stock. The whole purpose of this is to be able to keep the stock dog bone length and thus keeping the same suspension geometry:thumbsup:
bought the shock second hand, but i measured and im good. left the spacer in and raised it 5mm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts