Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed exhaust out to a Yoshimura Alpha T and put in a servo buddy and its fine. Had a Power Commander V put on and it put on a check engine light. Sent it back and got it tested and it was found to not been working properly. They sent me a new one and same thing. Cant get it done with out a check engine light on. My mechanic has been in the industry for about 20 years and dealt with PCs for 15 with numerous bikes. My next option is to get the ECU flashed but I'm afraid I hit the same wall at this point. Has anyone experienced this horseS#!T before? Any advice?? :crying::crying:

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
683 Posts
Changed exhaust out to a Yoshimura Alpha T and put in a servo buddy and its fine. Had a Power Commander V put on and it put on a check engine light. Sent it back and got it tested and it was found to not been working properly. They sent me a new one and same thing. Cant get it done with out a check engine light on. My mechanic has been in the industry for about 20 years and dealt with PCs for 15 with numerous bikes. My next option is to get the ECU flashed but I'm afraid I hit the same wall at this point. Has anyone experienced this horseS#!T before? Any advice?? :crying::crying:
Did you bother to see what the check engine light was telling you...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume that the guy doing the work has done that. As his computer was hooked up to the PC, Dynajet tech was on the phone with him. I have no doubts he knows what hes doing because hes worked on 2016 zx10r's and installed PC V's. When someone gets a check engine light whats usually the issue? And does anyone think that if I flash my ECU ill encounter a similar problem? I really hope I can get this thing right.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think you make too many assumptions. I would want to know more details about the cause of the light.

Is the light only on with PCV installed? You haven't given us any real information.

I will give you an opinion. "No, I do not think a flash will cause the same issue". That is based off assumptions that many have been flashed without a problem, same as many PCV have been installed without an issue. If you're the unicorn, I assume it is something unique with your bike.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you don't know what the CEL is telling you then it's a bad idea to flash it out (especially if it's FI related). I would believe your servo-buddy is faulty 100 times before your PCV twice because those buddys typically don't have good reviews. The bike would also run like absolute garbage if it even ran at all with a faulty PCV and I assume you drove it or started it up in the shop without any issues.

Option 1: A free option that I'd suggest would be putting the servo motor back in (keep cables out though) and see if the CEL goes away after a couple days. I say a couple days because Kawi requires a bunch of mumbo-jumbo to get the CELs to clear naturally.

Option 2: You pull the bike from the shop and do the work yourself (always preferred). If the bike runs then take it home. If you plan on flashing the ECU no matter what then get the FT-ECU kit. They sell their typical flashing kit as well as an OBD2 adapter so you can directly read any CEL code and figure out exactly what's wrong without playing telephone with the mechanic. Not to knock your mechanic but if he can't tell you what the code is when you ask then he doesn't have the proper tool to read your Kawi. So, you can do it yourself or you'll need to get to a Kawi certified dealer who'll have the proper OBD2 tool to read/reset your CEL... for $100.

FYI if you're going to get the bike flashed you don't need a PCV at all. I find running a PCV with a flash more problematic than anything because they interfere with each-other unless you're running a zero-map or plan to get the bike fine tuned (from zero) with the flashed map on it. The way the PCV works is it receives information from the ECU, it makes adjustments (+/- % fuel) based on the map in PCV-unit, then that information is sent out to the injectors. If the ECU map has been adjusted though with a flash (and you have some random map on the PCV) your fueling is going to be way off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He did take it to the Kawi shop to get the CEL cleared. Those guys didn't understand either. I think I need to try it with the service motor back on. I should have thought of that. I'm still learning this ish, but I have heard that the servo buddy does have probs.. damnit... Good feed back.. thanks guys!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Probably a good move. Return your PCV since you probably won't need it anymore now haha unless you plan to dyno the bike but Woolich has strong user support. There's a section where everyone uploads their mods, maps, and hopefully how well it performed on a dyno on their own time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.