Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a little history...I have a 2008 ZX10 with a PCV & Ignition Module. This past winter I installed some Kittlewhite valve springs along with a bunch of other parts. I got the code from Dynojet to bump the rev limit up 1,000 rpm. The PC accepted it and the screen now says the rev limit is 14,000 rpm. However, the rev limiter is kicking in at 13,200 rpm. I've tried reloading the newest firmware version in both the PCV and IM, but didn't change anything. Also tried clearing it out and re-entering the code several times, but no change. I also verified that the IM is working by pulling a bunch of timing at idle, and it did start to stumble and get very rough. Bike also picked up several hp on the dyno by advancing the time at upper rpms. So I know the ignition module is working in that respect. And if I'm not mistaken, stock rev limit is 12,700 rom. So it is doing something with the rev limit too, but it is only giving me 500 extra rpm instead of the 1000 I'm looking for.

I've been in contact with them several times over this matter, and now they are down to blaming it on the upper injectors, which I'm not buying. They asked if I had a secondary fuel module (which I don't) and are saying that the upper injectors are probably cutting at 13,200 rpm. However, on the dyno the bike does not go lean at the high rpms nor did it require a bunch of fuel be added. It seems to me that if the upper injectors were cutting out, the bike wouldn't hit a rev limiter, it would just go super lean and would require a bunch of fuel be added to maintain the AFR. Also, since I have nothing controlling the upper injectors (again, no SFM), why would they be cutting out at 13,200 rpm instead of the factory 12,700 rpm rev limit??

Sorry for the long post, just wondering if there are any other guys out there with a Gen 3/PCV/Ignition Module combo with the RevXtend enabled beyond 13,200 rpm. And if so, were there any issues in getting the rev limit extended that far. Or if anyone has any insight on what the issue may be?? Thanks! :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
i read a post where in order to get the pcv/ignition module combo to work correctly you have to install the 1.6xx or something firmware??? not exactly sure but i am goin with the same set up to control timing. I have my ecu flashed to 14.2 via a guhl flash. You may just want to consider that....the price for the ignition module alone is more than half of the flash.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill have to look into that about the firmware. The explanation they are giving me about the upper injectors makes no sense to me tho.
As for the reflash, the only benefit I would really be getting from it now would be the extended rev limit, which isn't worth the cost of reflash. I'm running multiple maps w different timing so I can't get rid of the ignition module.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Ill have to look into that about the firmware. The explanation they are giving me about the upper injectors makes no sense to me tho.
As for the reflash, the only benefit I would really be getting from it now would be the extended rev limit, which isn't worth the cost of reflash. I'm running multiple maps w different timing so I can't get rid of the ignition module.

If you aren't using autotune and you don't care about having no radiator fan,then the race ECU would be a better option. Apart from that, secondary or upper injectors spray the most fuel at WOT,at least on the gixxers at full throttle the uppers spray the 80% of the fuel. I think Kawasaki won't be too far off.So if the upper injectors are cutting at 13,200 then that would probably make the bike hit the rev limiter and not just go super lean.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still street ride the bike periodically so I still need the fan. I guess that makes sense if the upper injectors are spraying that much of the fuel. But what is telling the uppers to now spray until 13,200 instead of the OEM 12,700?

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I really thought 500rpm was the most the rev extend allowed.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to the DJ tech, 500 is the standard extension that they allow. If you sign a paper and send in to get an unlock code from them (which I did), you can have it extended further.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I still street ride the bike periodically so I still need the fan. I guess that makes sense if the upper injectors are spraying that much of the fuel. But what is telling the uppers to now spray until 13,200 instead of the OEM 12,700?

I think the stock rev limiter was 13.000 not 12.700 for the 3d gen. Can you tell us all the modifications you've done to your bike?

Stock limiter should kick in at 13.000 not 12.700,so with 500 rpms more you should hit the limiter at 13.500. Is it possible the ECU thinks it's in neutral all the time? Maybe you shortwired the clutch switch?

Just taking some wild guesses. :dontknow:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at the old dyno sheet, it appears the rev limiter hits at either 12,700 or maybe 12,800. New chart shows right around 13,200.

Mods: ported/decked head, springs, full exhaust, short stacks, smog blockoff, bmc race filter, flies removed, Kawi race cams, PCV and ignition module. I don't have a TRE or anything like that, and I havent jumpered the clutch switch or anything.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I am not sure if gen3 is different, but for gen2 to get the rev extend had to sign the paper and it was only 500rpm, not 1k.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I signed the paper. Both people from DJ told me that's all I needed to do to get it extended 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yea I signed the paper. Both people from DJ told me that's all I needed to do to get it extended 1000 rpm.
sound like they dont even know what theyre talking about! anyways dont mean to hijack but where did you get your head ported?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sound like they dont even know what theyre talking about! anyways dont mean to hijack but where did you get your head ported?
I don't think their "tech" department is completely on top of things, to say the least. I had issues with the new quickshifter as well. Both the instructions that came with it and the tech on the phone said set the PCV for normally closed. Tried everything to get it to work and finally I checked the leads myself, and its normally open. Switched it in the PCV and works fine now.

As for the head, I picked it up used from another forum member. It was done by MD Racing in Illinois originally.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So did you figure it out? Because we had the same issue with my friend's bike. Before installing the IM the rev limiter seemed to be at 13200 which we thought the tachometer is probably reading high since Kawasaki says the rev limiter is at 13000, but after installing the IM with a 13600 rev code it still revs at 13200. We contacted the tech support but they really have no clue, I think my grandmother could do a better job lol. And yes 500rpm is just standard, they said you can raise the RPM to 15000 if you wanted to and had a lot of engine work done.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So did you figure it out? Because we had the same issue with my friend's bike. Before installing the IM the rev limiter seemed to be at 13200 which we thought the tachometer is probably reading high since Kawasaki says the rev limiter is at 13000, but after installing the IM with a 13600 rev code it still revs at 13200. We contacted the tech support but they really have no clue, I think my grandmother could do a better job lol. And yes 500rpm is just standard, they said you can raise the RPM to 15000 if you wanted to and had a lot of engine work done.
Unfortunately I didn't get anywhere with it. I've just been running it as is at 13200 cause I don't have the time or patience to mess w it right now. The tech guy eventually came to the conclusion that it had to be the upper injectors and the only fix was a secondary fuel module. But they wouldn't let me try one to see if it worked. They said I have to buy one and if that doesn't fix it then ill have to eat the cost of the SFM.

Sent from my MB865 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unfortunately I didn't get anywhere with it. I've just been running it as is at 13200 cause I don't have the time or patience to mess w it right now. The tech guy eventually came to the conclusion that it had to be the upper injectors and the only fix was a secondary fuel module. But they wouldn't let me try one to see if it worked. They said I have to buy one and if that doesn't fix it then ill have to eat the cost of the SFM.

Sent from my MB865 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Those tech guys don't know anything lol. Are you also using dynojet quick shifter?

·
Registered
881 Posts
You should really condiser buying a race ECU,and selling your PCV/IM. Υοu can even get the radiator fan to work manually with a simple switch or make it work automatically using a relay and a ntc switch installed somewhere on the cooling circuit.

You will solve all your problems,you will have launch control,rev to 14.000 rpm,your quickshifter since it's normally open will work with the racing ECU too,you can have adjustable shift light up to the rev limiter ( one you can actually see) and lots of other adjustments ( like traction control etc)...

If you can rev up to 14K you will gain a few hp since the bike actually makes power that high,I'll send you a dyno of my own since we have a similar setup.

And you can also go +2 in the rear without actually losing final speed,just gain in accelaration.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those tech guys don't know anything lol. Are you also using dynojet quick shifter?

Yea I've got the quickshifter also and that works good. Taking that off soon tho. Putting an air shifter on and I'm just going to wire to the button to the pcv with some relays to kill it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should really condiser buying a race ECU,and selling your PCV/IM. Υοu can even get the radiator fan to work manually with a simple switch or make it work automatically using a relay and a ntc switch installed somewhere on the cooling circuit.

You will solve all your problems,you will have launch control,rev to 14.000 rpm,your quickshifter since it's normally open will work with the racing ECU too,you can have adjustable shift light up to the rev limiter ( one you can actually see) and lots of other adjustments ( like traction control etc)...

If you can rev up to 14K you will gain a few hp since the bike actually makes power that high,I'll send you a dyno of my own since we have a similar setup.

And you can also go +2 in the rear without actually losing final speed,just gain in accelaration.
For my situation, the cost of the race ecu can't be justified. My bike is pretty much strip only. The big advantage of the pcv for me is being able to switch maps. Depending on conditions or the race, I go back and forth between pump and race gas, or race gas and nitrous map.

And being a drag bike, cooling fan control, traction control and the launch limiter aren't needed as well. So for me I cant justify the cost because I'm still going to need the pcv to switch maps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts