• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

One of the newbs to the forum with a question:

Obviously, the bike is bloody fast out of the box. I am putting a slip-on on mine soon, but I don't want to leave it at that. The options available to me are:

1) Have Factory Pro do the BMC filter, their v-stacks, and tune the ECU to match with the new pipe,

or

2) Throw a PC on there with a downloaded map and call it a day.

Is the PCIII worth the time/money? Or is it negligible? Should I just fork out the difference and have it "done right?"

or...

3) One more option might be to have another shop do a custom map for the PCIII, but I haven't priced that out.

What say you?!

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
So where are you really from? Using bloody in a sentence here in the U.S. is not common at all. But in England and Australia it is.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Anyways I got the PCIIIUSB and got Ivans map for his Tre and the mods I have and it made a difference. Still got to custom tune it but I would go with the PCIIIUSB.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I've heard rumors that Factory Pro could reprogram the stock ECU. Is that right or are you talking about the kit ECU? If they can it would depend on how much it costs. From what you said, it sounds like it is more expensive than tuning a PC. If that is so, get a custom map on the PC. For the limited mods you are doing, the extra money for tuning the ECU wouldn't be worth it, in my opinion.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a native Bay Area resident. I just like throwing in some not-so-common terms on occasion.

Factory Pro reworks the stock ECU. I had them do my Mille R (sadly, now for sale) and I was very pleased.

I looked into the pricing a little more. As it turns out, the pricing dictates that I pop for the FP tune. I'd be more satisfied with the work gone into it, than I would be the money saved otherwise. I'll be scheduling it shortly. Factory Pro needs a 3-4 day down time for it, given the size of the operation and the amount of traffic they receive.

Still interested in what you all think though.

Thanks!

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Just as an FYI- I have their stacks and a custom map (PCIII). I haven't seen anything to make me feel the stacks were worth the money. Another bud did the same, with simular results (different pipe, all other mods the same w/custom map) ...results may vary...

something else you ant to consider- if you ever sell the bike, you'll need to leave all performance mods in place, as it may run like crap with the ECU reprogrammed and the mods removed. With a PCIII, you can return to completely stock easily.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
miykl said:
Just as an FYI- I have their stacks and a custom map (PCIII). I haven't seen anything to make me feel the stacks were worth the money. Another bud did the same, with simular results (different pipe, all other mods the same w/custom map) ...results may vary...
:+1: I didn't feel a difference with the FP v-stacks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ground Zero said:
One of the things to consider is the ability to tweak the FI with the PC. Any subsequent mods would require a trip to FP to make any adjustments. PCIII & Custom map would be my choice...and it was:]
+1 It is really the best reason to go with a PCIII. And yes, the stacks seem to make no difference at all. I think a big problem with the ZX-10r is the smallish airbox. Compared to my '05 R1, it is small. When I put Graves velocity stacks on the R1, it was a great mid-range punch modification. But with the 10, I think the height of the airbox is too low to get the velocity up as it curves around the stacks. And one other thing, the stock stacks for cylinders #2,3 are already elevated in comparison to #1,4. Usually when you upgrade stacks it is because #2,3 are shorty's like #1,4. But this not the case with Kawi, so it seems to be a waste of money. Any gains seem to be marginal and unnoticeable at best.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thanks for the heads up. Raul @ FP was trying to seel me on his V-stacks pretty hard. I still may do the FP Tune, despite your good points, because I would have to take it to another dyno shop to re-tune no matter what--Factory Pro or not. Plus, I don't even intend on wanting to do anything else to the bike, accept perhaps to regear it down the road. So once it is done, it is done.

I may not get FP to tune the bike for me (well) without the stacks, because the way they worded it, they can only do a good job with the stacks. (Like I said, they were selling me hard on them). I'll talk to them on Monday and see what they can do, if I just went with the filter, my Yosh, and a tune.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
477 Posts
"I'd be more satisfied with the work gone into it, than I would be the money saved otherwise"
That's what they tell you, but in reality you'll be way better off and spend less money getting your PCIII USB and a custom map. Most of the BS they tell you at that joint is regrading PC's of 5 years ago and Dynojet dyno's of before that. Get teh USB PC and custom map, it'll be much better.

·
Registered
569 Posts
One thing I didn't seem to catch in all this are your goals. You listed the mods, but not why you were considering those specific mods. Are you after power? Smoothness? Looks? It's been my experience this bike is already so highly tuned that HP mods tend to yield less significant results that on other bikes.

For example, you might get a decent HP increase with a slip-on on an older/different bike, but you really don't get much on the 10 with just a slip-on. So if you are after HP, you might want to rethink your overall strategy.

If you are after smoothness, I would suggest you rank a PC as the highest item on your list. This will make it more smooth with miinimal fuss, and there is no real need to go with a custom map until you get an exhaust. After the PC, you could get the ignition module, exhaust, and new gearing - and get the custom map at that point.

Food for thought.

In case you are wondering, I have a full Akrapovic exhaust (had a slip-on prior), PC3 with custom map, and reduced gearing. Bike is very smooth. I am considering that new ignition module as well...

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just put an ignition module on a worked CBR1000RR and it did absolutely nothing. Just so you know, I wouldn't bother if the motor is stock, as this one wasn't and it still did jack. lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the fp stacks on mine and gain no hp only a very nice induction howl, will be selling them soon with a KN filter in ebay. (converting it to a turbo bike)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am from Marin I had the guys at Factory do all the mods vstack airbox and also ignition adv. kit I was very happy with the results. My power band ran a lot smoother from 5000 up. One thing that happens is if I ride for a long time at one steady RPM an the freeway let's say 20 minutes straight and down shift when exiting the freeway I sometimes will get a mean backfire like it was loading up. Any suggestions

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah it ain't mapped right. lol But seriously, could be lots of things. Take it back to them and ask them.

Velocity stacks will do alot or not much depending on the design. I've seen great numbers on bikes with certain stacks, and stuff all from others. There is a guy in the U.K called Tim Radley who does some good stacks. If you like I'll get you his details and you can ask.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My goal was to put a slip-on on there without it f'ing up the throttle response or making the bike run too lean/rich/whatever. I wanted smoothness. As long as I don't lose power, I'm happy.

Now that I have the pipe on there (much quieter than expected, btw), it doesn't feel too bad, but I will still feel better with a PC on there.

I took the forum's advice and went the PCIII route (it's on order). I'll start with a simple downloaded map for now, but at least this gives me the opportunity to do a custom map with air filter and possibly someone's stacks down the road.

Knowing me, I'll end up doing a bunch of mods at once... to a bike that arguably has too much power for me already.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Probably, but I think most people have been doing that for years now. lol Remember the PC isn't about power as such, it's about usability of power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts