Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend loads of money on my pride and joy as do most of us. Two of the things I buy are the PCIII USB and the Ignition module. I go to dynojet website to find a map. They currently do not post maps for Intake cams, head gaskets, removed cat, secondary throttle plates and whatever else you might have. They do however have the exhaust and air filter. I am told to seek out a dynojet authorized tuner. Ok, one problem. The closest one is about 400-500 miles away. Ok so maybe I can find some tuner who can run my bike on a dyno and make a custom map for me. Well they are also 400-500 miles away. Ive already spent about 3000 bucks on my bike. The custom map will cost about 250-300 right. Now I have to borrow someone elses truck to cart my bike 400-500 miles just to have a map made. Trucks get about 16-18 mpg. Thats about 100 bucks one way. The hotel room 100 more dollars. food. 35-50. Ok so now I am up to 600-700 just to have a custom map made. May be I should have research this PCIII USB a little more..... I might have told them to kiss my A**. ........Sorry if I have offended anyone. Im just a little fustrated. I either have to uninstall the combo or run it with some map that may not meet the needs of my bike. Possibly blow it or fill it up with fuel. Thanks for a place to vent. Sorry if it doesn't belong here either. PS. This doesn't change my opinion of my bike. Kawis rule

·
Registered
591 Posts
there are lots of places that tune a pc111...just looks around...the web site just shows the "certified" tuners.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I feel for ya and will hook you up with my map if i ever get my shit finished. I just want to ask you one thing... why dont you have a full system on that thing with all the mods you have done?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
This is the exact reason i have not put a PC3 on my bike yer...There are no dyno tuning centers here on island...There are shops that can make a map and make adjustments to it but that's not good enough for me

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
dude you are in maine, my buddy in connecticut can hook you up, his duc dealership does this.

do you do track days? if so, get it track tuned, go ride.. find the flat spots in the powerband. note them in your head. Back to the pits, write it down in your notebook. not all the this, now plug in your laptop to the USB port of the PC3 and start the TP settings tweak it more or less. go back out there feel how it is, rinse and repeat.

Its all testing and trials. Eventually you can go out get it dyno run done and see what the graph looks like.

thats the most logical solution i can offer.. aside from my perferred, ride out to the shop, camp, and ride back.. (most fun course of action)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Where in Maine are you?

If you go to an LRRS event(NHIS), there is a guy..Rob's(robsdyno.com) that is used by lots of guys.

There's also a Factory Pro tuner there as well.

Rob will be at NHIS on April 26 - 27. He's there for the whole series typically.

Doesn't Oxford have a small bike program? Motorcycle Mayhem or something like that.

There has to be an easier way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also live in Maine. Not much you can do but make the ride or guess and check your maps with the old butt dyno or possible a wide band O2sensor. Dynojet.com list 8 registered shops with motorcycle specific dynos. 3 are certified tuners, and only one of those services sport bikes! I'm located in Bangor and bring my bikes to a local shop that has a car chassis dyno with the rigging to run motorcycles and atvs. Renting the dyno room cost $30 per half hour. You tune your own stuff. They provide a guy to setup/supervise and have a wideband O2 system. Just another idea, if you've ever tuned before it's real easy on a dyno with wideband readout.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
No map will run your bike like a custom map.....

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Yeah I was honestly surprised to see that there was no Akra Slip on map for my 05...guessing because Akra, Leo design theirs to not need map adjustments...although I figure Dynojet would've done it anyway considering how popular the exhaust is.

I'm using the arrow one now and seems to be running pretty good...only complaint is I'm getting worse fuel mileage which makes me think it's probably too rich.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Yeah I was honestly surprised to see that there was no Akra Slip on map for my 05...guessing because Akra, Leo design theirs to not need map adjustments...although I figure Dynojet would've done it anyway considering how popular the exhaust is.

I'm using the arrow one now and seems to be running pretty good...only complaint is I'm getting worse fuel mileage which makes me think it's probably too rich.
im totally tuned out. and ya know what.. its still really shitty gas milage :lol:

but then again, these are set for power more than economy. economically it just happens to make sense.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
im totally tuned out. and ya know what.. its still really shitty gas milage :lol:

but then again, these are set for power more than economy. economically it just happens to make sense.
:crackup:

True that...I might switch to the stock map Dyno has on their site and see what happens.

Most likely I won't be able to tell the difference but who knows. :dontknow:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel for ya and will hook you up with my map if i ever get my shit finished. I just want to ask you one thing... why dont you have a full system on that thing with all the mods you have done?
After punching the cat out. I was also planning on eliminating the servo motor off of the pipe. After swapping out the mufflers then removing the race baffles. I didn't feel the gains would be all that much.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dude you are in maine, my buddy in connecticut can hook you up, his duc dealership does this.

do you do track days? if so, get it track tuned, go ride.. find the flat spots in the powerband. note them in your head. Back to the pits, write it down in your notebook. not all the this, now plug in your laptop to the USB port of the PC3 and start the TP settings tweak it more or less. go back out there feel how it is, rinse and repeat.

Its all testing and trials. Eventually you can go out get it dyno run done and see what the graph looks like.

thats the most logical solution i can offer.. aside from my perferred, ride out to the shop, camp, and ride back.. (most fun course of action)
Connecticut is about 10 hours away. As far as track days. That would be a day out with the boys on the local roads. There isnt a track around this area. Maybe New Hampshire.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where in Maine are you?

If you go to an LRRS event(NHIS), there is a guy..Rob's(robsdyno.com) that is used by lots of guys.

There's also a Factory Pro tuner there as well.

Rob will be at NHIS on April 26 - 27. He's there for the whole series typically.

Doesn't Oxford have a small bike program? Motorcycle Mayhem or something like that.

There has to be an easier way.
I live all the way at the top of Maine. Fort Kent. It borders canada.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also live in Maine. Not much you can do but make the ride or guess and check your maps with the old butt dyno or possible a wide band O2sensor. Dynojet.com list 8 registered shops with motorcycle specific dynos. 3 are certified tuners, and only one of those services sport bikes! I'm located in Bangor and bring my bikes to a local shop that has a car chassis dyno with the rigging to run motorcycles and atvs. Renting the dyno room cost $30 per half hour. You tune your own stuff. They provide a guy to setup/supervise and have a wideband O2 system. Just another idea, if you've ever tuned before it's real easy on a dyno with wideband readout.
Hey whats the name of the shop you go to. My cousin has a shop in bangor. His name is Warren Kelly. He would probably know where that shop is and maybe is friends with that guy. Bangor is only 2.5 hours away. I just didn't think there were any tuning shops down there. I thought of getting a wide band O2 sensor. Just didn't want to dish out money for a fuel tuning system when I already have one. But I think maybe I could get my cousin to come help me. It might just work. He went to Motorcycle Mechanics Institute for his schooling and has been working on bikes for the past 20 yrs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does the Wideband O2 programmer work with the PCIII or does it work as a stand alone. On its own.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
JRbard

Where did you get your Ignition Module and Velocty stacks? I am looking to get both, and have been searching for the best deal

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JRbard

Where did you get your Ignition Module and Velocty stacks? I am looking to get both, and have been searching for the best deal
My Ignition module is from parts unlimited. My velocity stacks are also from the same place. But they are for an 05. I had the rubbers turned down to fit the air box. Then I had the stack turned down to accomidate a larger port hole. These were all turned down on a lathe. Some machinist will tell you that rubber cannot be turned on a lathe. They have to use a carbide tip and keep it sharp. I don't know how my stacks compare to the factory pro for the 06. But mine are factory pro. I just worked with what I had. Got them last year.

Reactions: OneSLOW10
1 - 20 of 42 Posts