Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice...I have an 08 10R and have a PC5 and am wondering of it is worth getting the Autotune???
I cut the cats out of my headers, bought the akra link pipe and have the Vance and Hines CS-One slip-on.
My bike is strickly street...for now!
I put over 10,000kms per year on the bike between rides and trips.
Won't be doing too much WOT.

From what I've research on this forum some say they like it some say they didn't. Power commander web site says "Don’t have a dyno tuning center nearby? Are you more of a D.I.Y. (do it yourself) type? Are you constantly changing parts on your bike? If you answer "yes" to any or all of the questions above, then our Auto Tune kit is for you. The Dynojet Auto Tune kit is an "add on" accessory that can be used with any of our Power Commander V’s"...is this true cause I don't have access to a dyno within a reasonable distance, there maybe a mustang dyno here by next spring but who knows!
I am asking if in your experinces if the autotune is right for me?

I appreciate any and all input,
Thanks,
David
:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I have one but never installed it. I think it is a good product that could have been great with a little more R&D time but they most likely rushed it out the door to market it with the PC5. I have easy access to a dyno tune so I will likely never install it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will go the distance for a dyno tuneif I have to but if the autotune will do everything for me?!?! I would rather save myself the 1200km round trip!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
holy crap definitely not worth that long of a trip haha.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
IMO if you have a basic understanding of tuning and what you are doing you should be able to make it by with it. The only real problems I've ever heard of with the system involved testing "outliers" where the sensors reading was way out of whack and caused a dramatic change in the fuel trim.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a PCV for my 2008, but later sold it and went back to a PC3 and Ignition module. My bike runs perfect.

I read your posts about it, I just want to know if it actually will replace a dyno for maps?

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
arent dyno tunes good for that day only???

because the tune is setup for those conditions... not what its gonna be like a week down the road??? :dontknow:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same for auto tune unless you ride everyday at 100% throttle from 8000-13000 RPM's, aka go to jail speeds.

I think these auto tunes are mostly hype for a street bike. Dynojet had to do it as a reaction to lost sales from Bazzaz.

The PC3 still has the buttons, a "poor mans version" of auto tune, but virtually no one bothers to use them. I think its because they don't bother to figure out what they actually do. :dontknow:
BUT...can it be a replacement for a dyno tune like they say on their website?!?!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I emailed Dynojet
"Does the autotune replace the dyno? I don''t
have access to a dyno. I use my zx10r on the street only? Little to no
race (drag or track). I have the PC5 and have a full exhaust, and I
have heard that the autotune is only good for wideopen throttle?"
They wrote back:
"The auto-tune makes fuel changes for all throttle positions and rpm's.
It does make customized fuel changes specific to the bike, but does not
replace the dyno all together. There are still many benefits of having
the bike dyno tested."
So I wrote:
"So if I don't have access to a dyno then the auto tune should be a good alternative in my case with a base map loaded from your site?"
And they wrote:
"Yes, that will be sufficient."

So I'm going to try it and see and if they guy here in town gets his dyno I will do some comparisons!

Any other input is greatly appreciated!
:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
367 Posts
so any world back yet

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey guys the self tuner will work for your everyday riding or road racing app. They don't work that good for drag racing unless your running the 1/4 and making 2 to 3 passes before you check it . The key to it is you have to have a laptop with you in order to tune it , but you dont wont to except everything it tells you all the time .

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have one but never installed it. I think it is a good product that could have been great with a little more R&D time but they most likely rushed it out the door to market it with the PC5. I have easy access to a dyno tune so I will likely never install it.
Same here. I have one brand new in the box that I just never got around to putting on. Should probably sell it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sorry to thread jack...But I am trying to prove to my GSXR buddy he is an idiot, but does the auto-tune require an O2 sensor to be welded into the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
so dyno tuning and auto tuning are wastes of money?
Nick, why would someone waste 200-300 for a custom tune if it was a waste of money? Its definately well worth it! Its about putting your bike at peak performance and having smooth driveabilty... Yes i would use the auto tune if i didnt have access to a dyno... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nick, why would someone waste 200-300 for a custom tune if it was a waste of money? Its definately well worth it! Its about putting your bike at peak performance and having smooth driveabilty... Yes i would use the auto tune if i didnt have access to a dyno... :thumbsup:
If you have an autotune, I would not fork out extra money on dyno time. An autotune will hold your specified Air/Fuel ratio. However, without a dyno, you won't know what the best ratio is for your bike. Most use 13.2/1 and that is close enough. The stock fuel injection will compensate for temperature variations. I would probably use that dyno money on other goodies at that point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts