Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to retro fit a PC3 for an 08 on an 09? I'd rather have the PC3 than PCv... thoughts pls

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,545 Posts
Huh? The '08 and '09 models are the same. You won't have to retrofit anything, it'll plug right in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh? The '08 and '09 models are the same. You won't have to retrofit anything, it'll plug right in.
Awesome...I prefer the PC3 because I can dial my tune in with the buttons for precision after dynotune.. Time to whoop some hondas!!:mrgreen:

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
dyno

Awesome...I prefer the PC3 because I can dial my tune in with the buttons for precision after dynotune.. Time to whoop some hondas!!:mrgreen:

if yer that good whats the point of spending the coin of a dyno tune..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
if yer that good whats the point of spending the coin of a dyno tune..
well, put simply, It's not about being good, it's common sense...You can't pressurize the airbox on the dyno obviously because the bike isn't moving forcing air in. A custom tune and map is always the best way to go but, dyno performance doesn't mean shit. It's how it performs on the road.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
LOL..Ya dont get squat for air pressure in the air box my friend..Do a search here about it..Yes ram air helps but the box dont get pressureized as per say..
From what i have read,you would have to be doin somethin stupid like 300 mph to see even a lil difference..Its been argued and tested here by many..
If you wanna tweek yer a/f map..get the wego 3 or the wide band commander..From what i hear the bazzaz does same but i get the feeling a wego 3/pwr commander is the best suggestion,well and a lap top to make suggested changes..
Unless your super tuner your just guessin by pushin the buttons on the pc3

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
LOL..Ya dont get squat for air pressure in the air box my friend..Do a search here about it..Yes ram air helps but the box dont get pressureized as per say..
From what i have read,you would have to be doin somethin stupid like 300 mph to see even a lil difference..Its been argued and tested here by many..
If you wanna tweek yer a/f map..get the wego 3 or the wide band commander..From what i hear the bazzaz does same but i get the feeling a wego 3/pwr commander is the best suggestion,well and a lap top to make suggested changes..
Unless your super tuner your just guessin by pushin the buttons on the pc3
Well, lol.. based on my experience my guessing is working for me. Case in point, when my bike came off the dyno it went 185 top speed on gps, rev limit in 6th gear.
Ok, so then I raised the high 1 bar on the PC3, then I did 186 top speed gps.
Ok, then up another bar in the high on the PC3, Went 187 gps....
Then raised it another bar in the high and it stayed at 187 top speed on gps.. 185 on gps off the dyno, then gained 2 more MPH by adding a little fuel in the high on the PC3... So again my experience is what I speak of. Done this with success with all my bikes, gsxr1k, cbr1k, and now my zx10
If this isn't a matter of airbox pressure then maybe you have another explanation for what I'm accomplishing? Sorry I have to disagree...Maybe you've been misinformed...How it runs on the dyno and the road are two different things....Explain why I'm gaining MPH on top end from the dyno by adding a little fuel on the PC3 high button......?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Well, lol.. based on my experience my guessing is working for me. Case in point, when my bike came off the dyno it went 185 top speed on gps, rev limit in 6th gear.
Ok, so then I raised the high 1 bar on the PC3, then I did 186 top speed gps.
Ok, then up another bar in the high on the PC3, Went 187 gps....
Then raised it another bar in the high and it stayed at 187 top speed on gps.. 185 on gps off the dyno, then gained 2 more MPH by adding a little fuel in the high on the PC3... So again my experience is what I speak of. Done this with success with all my bikes, gsxr1k, cbr1k, and now my zx10
If this isn't a matter of airbox pressure then maybe you have another explanation for what I'm accomplishing? Sorry I have to disagree...Maybe you've been misinformed...How it runs on the dyno and the road are two different things....Explain why I'm gaining MPH on top end from the dyno by adding a little fuel on the PC3 high button......?
Yea you are on the rev limiter so as the bike is cutting the ignition the extra fuel builds up and when the cylinder relights the extra fuel is making the cylinder go rich witch in turn has a longer burn time so when you are smacking the limiter and the ignition is killing the spark and the touch extra fuel is burning a touch longer and giving you 2 more MPH. And i would bet your acceleration up to rev limiter is slower because you are rich.

Edit. Bumping up the rev liminter with your current gearing will give you better results and more MPH.

BTW lean makes top speed! Not rich. Ask some top speed racers.

Here is a test put a 18 tooth front sprocket on the bike so you are going to hit the wind brick wall where you are HP liminted not Rev limiter limited and then changing mixtures will show a true gain! You might gain a mph you might loose a mph. Also a laptop is a lot better way of precisely changing you mixtures v the buttons. You can select Rpm and throttle position to change mixture. IE %100 throttle above 8k rpms and add %10 fuel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yea you are on the rev limiter so as the bike is cutting the ignition the extra fuel builds up and when the cylinder relights the extra fuel is making the cylinder go rich witch in turn has a longer burn time so when you are smacking the limiter and the ignition is killing the spark and the touch extra fuel is burning a touch longer and giving you 2 more MPH. And i would bet your acceleration up to rev limiter is slower because you are rich.

Edit. Bumping up the rev liminter with your current gearing will give you better results and more MPH.

BTW lean makes top speed! Not rich. Ask some top speed racers.

Here is a test put a 18 tooth front sprocket on the bike so you are going to hit the wind brick wall where you are HP liminted not Rev limiter limited and then changing mixtures will show a true gain! You might gain a mph you might loose a mph. Also a laptop is a lot better way of precisely changing you mixtures v the buttons. You can select Rpm and throttle position to change mixture. IE %100 throttle above 8k rpms and add %10 fuel.
interesting point of view.....there's alot of polarizing opinions on the whole pressurizing the airbox debate... I know lean makes more HP but at what risk of damage to the engine? My temp is usually around 165 degrees at the rev limit in 6th...goin lean would make it run hotter up there right? so I should equal out the buttons and try what? I thought about goin with an 18t on the front... so I go 18t on the front, then try the changes with the buttons or in the map itself? I could try leaning it out a bit wit the buttons and watch the temp....I still think that 180+mph wind going in the little ram air hole creates a certain amount of pressure

·
Registered
700 Posts
interesting point of view.....there's alot of polarizing opinions on the whole pressurizing the airbox debate... I know lean makes more HP but at what risk of damage to the engine? My temp is usually around 165 degrees at the rev limit in 6th...goin lean would make it run hotter up there right? so I should equal out the buttons and try what? I thought about goin with an 18t on the front... so I go 18t on the front, then try the changes with the buttons or in the map itself? I could try leaning it out a bit wit the buttons and watch the temp....I still think that 180+mph wind going in the little ram air hole creates a certain amount of pressure
Sorry for the long time to reply.

With a 18 tooth front You could use the buttons on the PC to try rich and leaner to see what the top end does. every bike is different so you will just haft to try. I'm sure the ram air does have some effect. So you should need to be a touch richer up top from ram air. I have never seen charts to show how much richer up top. But for top end speed with a gps it is easy enough to try different things and see how you do. You will loose power before you get lean enough to hurt anything. If you lean it out and see a drop in MPH go the other way but you still should be safe.

Good luck! With a 18 tooth you should see 192-198 with a good motor. Also the rear view mirrors are good for 2-3 mph if you take them off.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You can adjust the tune with either the PC3 or PC5, my bike had a PC3 on it already. I am toying with the idea of pulling it off and putting a PC5 with the auto tune on it and tuning mine myself. Just need to figure out the total cost for the PC5, Auto tune, and getting the O2 installed in the exhuast.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can adjust the tune with either the PC3 or PC5, my bike had a PC3 on it already. I am toying with the idea of pulling it off and putting a PC5 with the auto tune on it and tuning mine myself. Just need to figure out the total cost for the PC5, Auto tune, and getting the O2 installed in the exhuast.
my friend has auto-tune... pretty cool, just do runs and update each time

With a 18 tooth front You could use the buttons on the PC to try rich and leaner to see what the top end does. every bike is different so you will just haft to try. I'm sure the ram air does have some effect. So you should need to be a touch richer up top from ram air. I have never seen charts to show how much richer up top. But for top end speed with a gps it is easy enough to try different things and see how you do. You will loose power before you get lean enough to hurt anything. If you lean it out and see a drop in MPH go the other way but you still should be safe.

Good luck! With a 18 tooth you should see 192-198 with a good motor. Also the rear view mirrors are good for 2-3 mph if you take them off.
I usually just do a run in 9/10's of a mile from a roll in 1st, and then +add a bar in the high on the PC after each run until I stop gaining MPH on gps. But again, I'm doin this in 9/10's of a mile, or I guess I should say until rev limit in 6th. I was actually toying with the idea of going down 1 more on the back because even now with 17/40, I'm hitting the rev limit in 6th right at the end of 9/10's. Don't you think I should try 1 more down in the back before goin 18t up front?
Do you know if and how much loss of acceleration you sacrifice when goin with the 18t on the front?
I've never actually went leaner to try and gain mph, always richer cuz of the airbox pressure thing. I'm not exactly sure what 1 bar is equal to as a value in the map, something like 2 I heard....Also not really sure what rpm ranges are covered as far as with the buttons on the PC. Maybe someone can post it or I'll try and search for it...

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
The speed "on the rev limiter" is being governed by what the rev limiter is set to ... not the air/fuel ratio.

Get a wide-band sensor, find out for yourself.

I have a plain ordinary air/fuel ratio gauge. Looking at a gauge works when sorting out the low-speed driveability but not high rpm power - there should be other things on your mind, like keeping the bike between the ditches. But, where there's a will, there's a way. I did my high-rpm calibration at the drag strip ... I set up a video camera so that it could watch the tach/speedo and the air/fuel gauge in the same video frame. I could pay attention to aiming the bike and take my time to analyze the video properly later. I did one run that involved short-shifting to 3rd at about 5000 rpm and let it pull all the way through to redline, to get the mid-range right.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Well guys,seem we just have to go see mr op..By the sounds of things all this dyno stuff and tuneing software is so 2009...
LOL...Im no tuner by no friggin means but i can smell it..can you??
Sheesh if his pc3 had a cpl more bars on it he should be able to do 250 on it,and need a tanker rig to run chase with him to keep it fueled..

As for air box pressure..I didnt do the testing,its all here if you look for it..

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
So you mean to tell me you would prefer the buttons on the PC III to mess with a custom tune instead of a PC V and get the auto tune which can compensate for the ever changing air intake volume and temperature (by measuring the exhaust gas real time)?

Okey dokey... have fun there buddy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts