Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno if anyone has heard of this before.

My PC3 is heating up and failing. After the PC3 heats up, it is causing one cylinder to not fire which is causing that cylinder to blow the gas through the exhaust and consequently bogging and smoking.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big Daddy said:
was this the diagnosis from the shop??

BD

It makes sense in a way. The first time the symptoms happened, the bike was in the sun for couple hours. bike failed within two miles.

second time, the bike was shaded. The symptoms didnt apear till i got stuck in traffic out in sun. thats why it took longer.

They thought that it was the fuel injectors themselves, but they tested each individually and found no problems.

Ill have more detail tomorrow when i pick up the bike.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
wow!. It's hot here and i'm planing to take my bike in for pc installed and dyno run. it must be just a bad pc

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im guessing its jsut bad...was kinda wondering if anyone else has heard of something like this :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
just some info from a 12 volt guy. When capasitors heat up they fail. Causing heat.
2 if a ground is weak the pc will have to work harder {creating heat}. try mounting the pc in a cooler location. now being the king of not useing the search button...sorry. there is a thread here about mounting the servo in the plastics and opening up a nice spot far away from the engine to mount the pc. then ground it real well.
3 heard rumors that there is a very simmilar plug hook it up and toast a sensor.
4 all electronics are not made the same there are defects.
So there ya go good luck man!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Moved to tech... I've heard of this on busas. Not exactly uncommon unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sczx10r said:
just some info from a 12 volt guy. When capasitors heat up they fail. Causing heat.
2 if a ground is weak the pc will have to work harder {creating heat}. try mounting the pc in a cooler location. now being the king of not useing the search button...sorry. there is a thread here about mounting the servo in the plastics and opening up a nice spot far away from the engine to mount the pc. then ground it real well.
3 heard rumors that there is a very simmilar plug hook it up and toast a sensor.
4 all electronics are not made the same there are defects.
So there ya go good luck man!
the PC is in the "trunk"( there cant be a cooler place on the bike) and grounded to the battery ground....as per instruction manual :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
El Diablo said:
Moved to tech... I've heard of this on busas. Not exactly uncommon unfortunately.

really! hmmm, interesting.

know of any threads?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
So is the best way to avoid this to avoid getting a PCIII? I was planning on getting one from Ivan & his map & TRE but this sorta thing is the type of headache that I would want to skip all together. I hate the jerky throttle, but thats better than a non functional bike.

El Diablo said:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
El Diablo said:
Moved to tech...
no offence El D, but the problem with moving this to tech is that most of the time I look in Tech/Perf to upgrade stuff, not when I have problems.

This is a case of Lack of performance......and broken tech....at best.....

I was hoping to find out if this is a big problem or not....it wont get that broad exposure here.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RichTJ99 said:
So is the best way to avoid this to avoid getting a PCIII? I was planning on getting one from Ivan & his map & TRE but this sorta thing is the type of headache that I would want to skip all together. I hate the jerky throttle, but thats better than a non functional bike.

I ahve to say, the PC3 when workign made a noticable difference before i even left the driveway. BN put it best whan he said it "really wakes up the bike"

my .02 anyway.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RichTJ99 said:
But is your bike unrideable now?
only with the PC. Bike "runs fantastic" when they pulled the pc3 at the shop. They rode the bike "4 loops around Kahului, aprox to Lahaina and back" which is about 30+ miles.

They have run compression tests and the bike is running great.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts