Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

PC III mapping

4K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  Older Guy 
#1 ·
Stopped by Mach One in Costa Mesa, CA - they had a ZX-10R they were going to put on the dyno and map...they had the fuel injection all apart and had removed one set of butterflies...they said that is one of the things they do when they do a dyno tune and re-map..anyone heard of this?

#9 ·
Older Guy said:
Stopped by Mach One in Costa Mesa, CA - they had a ZX-10R they were going to put on the dyno and map...they had the fuel injection all apart and had removed one set of butterflies...they said that is one of the things they do when they do a dyno tune and re-map..anyone heard of this?
Wow, you're talking about me and my bike! I just joined this forum 5 minutes ago and this is my first post.

I realize that I'm new and don't have any credibility in this forum yet, however, you asked for it - so here goes...

The secondary throttle valves and the exhaustpipe valve are polution controls that rob the engine of power and throttle response. They have no other purpose. In order to effectively remove them, you have to:

a) install a full exhaust (Arata in my case)

b) remove the secondary butterflys and shaft

c) do a custom map with a Powercommander

The result is more HP and torque at all throttle settings. Richard at Mach1 knows exactly what he is doing. He did all the engine work on my 04 R1. I trust him completely. When he is finished, I'll have the best running ZX10 around...

jack

#10 · (Edited)
Hey Jack...welcome...Richard is the tall MoFo that does the dyno work in the back?...they walked me through what they were doing on your bike...however, be forwarned...black is the fastest color...not puke green...I saw them drop a small nut into one of the throttle bodies...

They were telling me you got a real good deal on that bike with only 1,900 miles on it...got it at Champion, did you?

#13 ·
lzbrown said:
Just because I'm a newbie could someone shoot me a pm on how to remove the secondary butterflys and shaft or explain how it's done?
being a newbie has nothing to do with it, i don't think this has really been a debated topic....so if anyone knows how or what to do...post it.....also if there are any dyno's post them too...thanks....

p.s. merry christmas all

#14 ·
My suggestion would be to follow the manual. But... from the looks of 'em, the upper butterflies come off by removing the two screws holding each one to the rod. If you're only planning to experimeriment leave the rod in place. My gixxer buddies who removed theirs removed the throttle bodies, filled the holes left by the rod removal with JB weld (or simular) then smoothed the patches with a dremil. They swear by this mod. I'm a bit nervous. If done, get a custom map. (imho)

#17 ·
sofa-king-todd-did say that in english

#19 ·
Welcome to the site, let us socal guys know how it turns out and if you dont mind how much they are charging you to tune that bad boy. I was thinking of taking mine down to the Ducati and Aprila of Oceanside since they are the only ones around me with a dyno, but if you get as good results as you say you are expecting they may be worth the trip.

#20 ·
Secondary throttles

The secondary throttle butterflys are controlled by the engine ECU. Their purpose is to produce better midrange power at large throttle openings. They are fully open at high rpm. The Suzuki 1000cc race motors, that are not required by any racing rules, remove or disable them for racing use. You can do the same on the ZX10R engine. If they are removed the typical increase is 2 to 3 hp above 10,000 rpm due to less air flow resriction in the throttle bodies. If they are disabled the throttle response is better above 10,000 rpm when transitioning from closed to wide open throttle. Low and mid range power will suffer below 10,000 rpm at large throttle openings and throttle response is poor below 9000 rpm. This modification is for engines that operate above 9000 rpm and throttle response below 9000 rpm is not an issue. This modification is for race engines. A street engine suffers from this mod. You also need the Kawasaki race ECU and a load control dyno to remap the fuel curve for this mod. You could do it with just a PowerCommander but it would require a lot of work. The factory teams use the race ECU and a PowerCommander.
I am sure there is some street squid out there that is going to try this and complain about the results.
How much time do you spend at 100 % throttle above 10,000RPM?

#21 ·
thanks for the info

#23 ·
Frankyoz said:
Welcome to the site, let us socal guys know how it turns out and if you dont mind how much they are charging you to tune that bad boy. I was thinking of taking mine down to the Ducati and Aprila of Oceanside since they are the only ones around me with a dyno, but if you get as good results as you say you are expecting they may be worth the trip.
$350.00 for a dyno remap of the PC III.

#25 ·
Older Guy said:
Hey Jack...welcome...Richard is the tall MoFo that does the dyno work in the back?...they walked me through what they were doing on your bike...however, be forwarned...black is the fastest color...not puke green...I saw them drop a small nut into one of the throttle bodies...

They were telling me you got a real good deal on that bike with only 1,900 miles on it...got it at Champion, did you?
I got it at Champion for $8,500. I know that's retail book, but the bike had $3,500 worth of mods on it that I wanted anyway. I was a little worried because it had been used as a track bike. However, after 200+ miles on the dyno getting a tune, it seems to be running great.

The bike had 157 hp before richard started working on the throttle bodies and Powercommander. Now it has 166 hp and over 80 ft /lbs of torque...

jack

#26 ·
wstaab said:
The secondary throttle butterflys are controlled by the engine ECU. Their purpose is to produce better midrange power at large throttle openings. They are fully open at high rpm. The Suzuki 1000cc race motors, that are not required by any racing rules, remove or disable them for racing use. You can do the same on the ZX10R engine. If they are removed the typical increase is 2 to 3 hp above 10,000 rpm due to less air flow resriction in the throttle bodies. If they are disabled the throttle response is better above 10,000 rpm when transitioning from closed to wide open throttle. Low and mid range power will suffer below 10,000 rpm at large throttle openings and throttle response is poor below 9000 rpm. This modification is for engines that operate above 9000 rpm and throttle response below 9000 rpm is not an issue. This modification is for race engines. A street engine suffers from this mod. You also need the Kawasaki race ECU and a load control dyno to remap the fuel curve for this mod. You could do it with just a PowerCommander but it would require a lot of work. The factory teams use the race ECU and a PowerCommander.
I am sure there is some street squid out there that is going to try this and complain about the results.
How much time do you spend at 100 % throttle above 10,000RPM?
Complete hogwash. The bike is stronger at all RPM with better throttle response everywhere. I did it and I've got the dyno charts to prove the results. :thefinger

jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.