Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing too exciting, but i'm getting a little better. This is only my 3rd trip to the drag strip on the bike as well.

Previous best with the bike being stock + a Graves full system was a [email protected] I think my 60' times were in the 2.2 range or so.

Since, i've added the wire mod, PCV, RL quickshifter, and I strapped the front.

My best time of the night was a [email protected] with a 2.08 60'.

My goal is 9.99 before I stretch it and spray it. Nitrous kit is sitting in my room :( . I know the bike has it in it, I just need the large testicle mod.

As you can see, i'm not anywhere near wide open in first gear and I am riding the clutch a LOT further than it felt like I was.

Advice would be great lol.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
you need to forget about nos for a while, at this point having more power isn't going to make you go any quicker. It almost looks like you're not comfortable enough with the bike, just take your time and get used to it, keep trying to go wot sooner with each pass and see how it is, it'll take time, if you're persistent enough you'll get there.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
you need to forget about nos for a while, at this point having more power isn't going to make you go any quicker. It almost looks like you're not comfortable enough with the bike, just take your time and get used to it, keep trying to go wot sooner with each pass and see how it is, it'll take time, if you're persistent enough you'll get there.
:+1: your bike is well capable of runin 9's with the mods you have just take seat time man. work on gettin them rpms up and gettin the clutch out ALOT sooner without lettin the engine bog and you'll see that 60 and et times start to drop.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. I'm not going to be adding anything else to mask my poor launching abilities. That's why I made a goal for myself first.

Hahaha at the semi thing. I'm more afraid of looping it than anything else honestly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That was the same thing I was scared of. Every time I grew a set of nuts, I would wheelie real bad an then I'd be timid the next couple of runs. I'm getting better with seat time just like you will.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Do you have a picture of the strap on the bike?

Where do you have the TC set?

Large testical mod I need

My biggest fear right now is looping.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
241 Posts
That's why I stopped drag racing I just suck at it! best pass I could manage was a 10.6 with PCIII and full Muzzy on my Gen 1. I would wheelie straight of the damn line and scare the shit outta me, and go right back to staging lanes to repeat haha! Seat time and finding that throttle point with clutch control is all you need. Good luck to you bro!!!!!

I got decent but not enough to be good, but......I'm a way better kneedragger and for me waaaay more fun putting all 170 ponies to work and scraping knee pucks and toe sliders!:rockwoot:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was the same thing I was scared of. Every time I grew a set of nuts, I would wheelie real bad an then I'd be timid the next couple of runs. I'm getting better with seat time just like you will.
Thanks. Yep as always, practice makes perfect.

Do you have a picture of the strap on the bike?

Where do you have the TC set?

Large testical mod I need

My biggest fear right now is looping.

I'll get a picture of the strap for you. I just used regular radial mounts and a strap from mps.

TC was set on 2 and it was definitely getting put to work. You can hear it quite a bit if you listen for it.

That's why I stopped drag racing I just suck at it! best pass I could manage was a 10.6 with PCIII and full Muzzy on my Gen 1. I would wheelie straight of the damn line and scare the shit outta me, and go right back to staging lanes to repeat haha! Seat time and finding that throttle point with clutch control is all you need. Good luck to you bro!!!!!

I got decent but not enough to be good, but......I'm a way better kneedragger and for me waaaay more fun putting all 170 ponies to work and scraping knee pucks and toe sliders!:rockwoot:
Same. I've done a ton of track days but I can't afford it currently. Dropping $500 for a weekend, missing work, and possibly injuring myself while in school cannot be done. The drag strip is only 15 minutes away from my house though :) .

·
Registered
710 Posts
TC2 I bet it was getting a workout. 148mph is a great speed considering the TC setting. I would be very pleasd with that considering my skill level

Pictures of the route at the top would be great.

I'm thinking strap and the soupys link will be the extent of my drag race setup.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Like said your goal should be quite a bit lower before you worry about stretching and spraying it. You need to be able to feel comfortable leaving really hard an have to confidence in your clutch hand to keep from flipping it. Once you get comfortable with 9.90's will be very easy for you. Depending on your weight once you spend more time consistently and really watch what rpms our leaving at and how long you hold on to the clutch and work on getting off your clutch ASAP and keeping from doin wheelies your times will drop pretty quick. Keep it up man pull get there!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like said your goal should be quite a bit lower before you worry about stretching and spraying it. You need to be able to feel comfortable leaving really hard an have to confidence in your clutch hand to keep from flipping it. Once you get comfortable with 9.90's will be very easy for you. Depending on your weight once you spend more time consistently and really watch what rpms our leaving at and how long you hold on to the clutch and work on getting off your clutch ASAP and keeping from doin wheelies your times will drop pretty quick. Keep it up man pull get there!

Hmm. It's good to hear that I should be quicker than 9.99 on motor swb. If my 60' time still isn't all that great and I reach my goal, I will definitely keep going before I do anything else.

Do you think launching at 8,000 rpms or so is the proper way for this bike? Or should I lower the rpms? I'm trying to think of how much i'm slipping the clutch out to get to that speed. I'm going to need a clutch soon haha.

Any tips on actually getting my foot back up on the peg? It's not exactly easy and i'm basically on my toes when I launch (5'6" tall...)

I'm 125 lbs. Probably closer to 140 lbs. suited and geared since my 1-piece is the same one I used for track riding and it's pretty heavy.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Hmm. It's good to hear that I should be quicker than 9.99 on motor swb. If my 60' time still isn't all that great and I reach my goal, I will definitely keep going before I do anything else.

Do you think launching at 8,000 rpms or so is the proper way for this bike? Or should I lower the rpms? I'm trying to think of how much i'm slipping the clutch out to get to that speed. I'm going to need a clutch soon haha.

Any tips on actually getting my foot back up on the peg? It's not exactly easy and i'm basically on my toes when I launch (5'6" tall...)

I'm 125 lbs. Probably closer to 140 lbs. suited and geared since my 1-piece is the same one I used for track riding and it's pretty heavy.
when i was swb i was leaving at 8k but bike was lowered with front end strap and i weight 200# suited so i needed the extra rpms to get me and the bike movin lol... you are alot lighter than i am so you probly want have to leave at higher rpms but i def recomend you lowering the bike and straping the front. both these things alone will help you gain confidence and help lower your times man.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

when i was swb i was leaving at 8k but bike was lowered with front end strap and i weight 200# suited so i needed the extra rpms to get me and the bike movin lol... you are alot lighter than i am so you probly want have to leave at higher rpms but i def recomend you lowering the bike and straping the front. both these things alone will help you gain confidence and help lower your times man.
:+1:Listen to ZX racer he is probably the fastest on this site SWB for his weight. :wink:

On getting feet back on what kind of seat are you using? I know when I first started drag racing the 10R on a Stock seat it was like hanging on a rocket my body flying back hard as hell and then trying to pull my feet back up and struggle to shift to 2nd gear all at the same time :badteeth:. I cut the foam from a seat and it made a huge difference and in drag racing there are many things going on at the start (Track Riders might not agree :lol: ) but the last thing you need to worry about is your body control trying to get your feet back on....:wink:

bloo

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice. I'll try launching a little bit lower the next time I head out. I really need to order the lowering link. I keep putting it off.

:+1:Listen to ZX racer he is probably the fastest on this site SWB for his weight. :wink:

On getting feet back on what kind of seat are you using? I know when I first started drag racing the 10R on a Stock seat it was like hanging on a rocket my body flying back hard as hell and then trying to pull my feet back up and struggle to shift to 2nd gear all at the same time :badteeth:. I cut the foam from a seat and it made a huge difference and in drag racing there are many things going on at the start (Track Riders might not agree :lol: ) but the last thing you need to worry about is your body control trying to get your feet back on....:wink:

bloo
Hmm the seat may be a good idea. I'm using a stock seat now. If I ever find another stock one for sale on here, i'll buy it to shave down.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts

Damn!! If your that light, leave a lot lower rpms so you can get off the clutch faster and use your weight to your advantage. Smaller guys can leave at lower rpms because it doesn't take as much work for the bike to get you going. With your weight, once you figure out how to leave the line and get off the clutch quick your gonna fly man. If I were you I would start at about 4k or so. You wanna slip your clutch at the lowest rpms you can without bogging. This will help you get of the clutch a lot faster because leaving at high rpms is making you slip the clutch a lot longer just to fight wheelies.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn!! If your that light, leave a lot lower rpms so you can get off the clutch faster and use your weight to your advantage. Smaller guys can leave at lower rpms because it doesn't take as much work for the bike to get you going. With your weight, once you figure out how to leave the line and get off the clutch quick your gonna fly man. If I were you I would start at about 4k or so. You wanna slip your clutch at the lowest rpms you can without bogging. This will help you get of the clutch a lot faster because leaving at high rpms is making you slip the clutch a lot longer just to fight wheelies.

Yea being light has it's advantages haha. I'll try some lower rpms the next time I go. Thank you!

I wish I could get this good of advice when i'm at the track haha. The past two times i've been at the track, it's been nothing but rude people. The other bikes are usually stretched and sprayed or turbo busas that are a hell of a lot faster than me, the riders don't speak english and cut in front of me in the lanes (don't understand this one), and apparently (had a friend that speaks spanish with me last time), they are talking about me to each other and saying I am wasting their time and such... I did meet a rather nice guy with a 14 last time that was sick of their shit too, but couldn't give me any advice on how to launch since his bike was stretched, lowered, sprayed, and on an air shifter.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Yeah man. A lot of guys for some reason don't like to help newer guys out. Like they are afraid the new guy will out run them. Personally ill help anyone I can. I'm not afraid of gettin beat. It's happened a lot! :lol: but really anyone that shares the same passion as I do whether it be street or track riding. I'm always glad to help. Especially on a zx10 :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yea being light has it's advantages haha. I'll try some lower rpms the next time I go. Thank you!

I wish I could get this good of advice when i'm at the track haha. The past two times i've been at the track, it's been nothing but rude people. The other bikes are usually stretched and sprayed or turbo busas that are a hell of a lot faster than me, the riders don't speak english and cut in front of me in the lanes (don't understand this one), and apparently (had a friend that speaks spanish with me last time), they are talking about me to each other and saying I am wasting their time and such... I did meet a rather nice guy with a 14 last time that was sick of their shit too, but couldn't give me any advice on how to launch since his bike was stretched, lowered, sprayed, and on an air shifter.
Ask em if they are here legally and youd like to see green cards:hello: ....Or yell ICE!!!! and go right to the front of the line. Hang in there and have fun. Dont focus on the assholes, itll mess with yer time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts