Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is it for a pssenger on the back of gen 1. Really want one but my girl likes to be on the back! Any suggestions? Also I will be changing the bars back so there is not so much stretch and lean, let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Bars would help a lot imo. I hate passengers especially the bigger ones(140-160)

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
It is...but 140-160 doesn't look fat when u take home one or two from my gym but yeah the scale can and does decieve.

·
Registered
85 Posts
With the stock suspension on the Gen 1 they tend to lean forward a lot. If she doesn't mind putting her hands on the tank, there isn't really a problem. If you've got them, lowering links for the rear help a ton with this. They reduce the pitch of the rear seat which lessens the amount that your woman is going to crush your jewels :lol:. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
the 1st get has a Narsty back seat. I hope she's little.. I had a friend of mine on the back a few times and she is only 5'2 and petite. Any bigger than that and she'd have her knees up beside her ears.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I hear you on that. I have a friend who is 5'4, 160 and the chick is smoking hot with a rock solid body, just a thick girl.

I dont know so much bout Gen 1 but on my 2nd Gen I have raised the bars and that helped me not be leaned over so much, which in turn helps the g/f sit up a little more.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My wife is in great shape, but doesn't make riding with her any less painful. The passenger ends up so high that the it throws off the whole balance of the bike (Gen1). I don't remember the last time I swapped the cowl for the seat.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Agreed, but gen 2. I hate having anyone on the back of a true sportbike. I take the pegs and seat off all my bikes. I kept them this time for a just in case scenario.

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
Tell your honey to buy a 250 ninja & ride it!!!! giving girls rides suck, unless your a squid cruising college & highschool campus's:headshake

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Agreed, but gen 2. I hate having anyone on the back of a true sportbike. I take the pegs and seat off all my bikes. I kept them this time for a just in case scenario.

That's my Motto...No passengers on true Sport bike.

The bike is too sensitive to take it in stride. Adding 100+ pounds on the place a passenger sits, is a total mess up of the geometry.

If I was going to pack, I'd be on a bike that was designed to pack.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
any nudies of the female passengers?
WHAT THE F*CK! Are you just looking for a ban, man? It's old as hell.

I put a race tail on mine - that's how much I love passengers. Only once have I had a pass on the back that I didn't mind, but she was sub 5' and sub 100lbs. Even then, the bike wasn't as good in any way.

On the other hand, my room-mate's 2007 seems to handle better when I put my fiancee on the back (140ish). Can't explain it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I dont mind my wife on the back as long as its not around town stopping alot is what crushes the boys. Had her on my gen 1 for a 60 mile trip last week with no issues.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That's my Motto...No passengers on true Sport bike.

The bike is too sensitive to take it in stride. Adding 100+ pounds on the place a passenger sits, is a total mess up of the geometry.

If I was going to pack, I'd be on a bike that was designed to pack.
Took the wife for a short ride on the 10 ONCE. Never again. I'll take the ZRX when she wants to go for a ride.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've got a gen 2, but it can't be much different.

My wife (5'10" 135 or so) rode on the back one time, and then told me "never again". she said it was terrible. Good thing I had other bikes or she would have been on the war path for me to sell the 10.

If she likes riding on the back, I would really recommend you get something else. just my opinion.

I had a '97 CBR1100XX that she really liked before I got the 10, I would think a busa, zx14, or maybe an intercepter or something would all be much better choices if you plan on letting your girl ride with you. An unhappy passenger makes for a crappy ride, no matter what bike you're on.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just be careful with the wheelies with someone in the back. I have a 3rd gen and whenever my wife rides in the back (shes about 125lb) the front wheel comes up extremely easy so I take it easy on the throttle... and from what I hear they dont call the 1st gen "wheelie monsters" for nothing. Just be careful.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I absolutely LOVE the way mine handles with my girl (ex now) on the back. We have a total combined weight of about 245 lbs. Without her on it, the suspension feels STIFF in the corners, when she was on it, the bike felt so much more planted to me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts