Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I was at work where I am a GM of a restaraunt. I was outside using a Bobcat relandscaping and I went to get back into the machine and all of a sudden I felt really weird. I then climbed back out and told my boss that something was wrong. I figured it out as I was walking into the restaurant that I was not able to see everything out of my right eye. I could see from 11:00 to 1:00 and everything else was completely dark, and my left eye was having a hard time reading anything. I was having trouble making out answers to questions and I had a little bit of slurred speach. I had my wife take me to Medcheck, and that is when they told me that I had a migraine. I have never had one before so I had no idea what it could have been. So I took the rest of the day off, they gave me some pills and a shot in my ass, and my vision started to come back slightly. I got home took the meds, and slept from 4pm to 7am. I woke up still couldn't see out of my right eye and took more meds and slept pretty much from 7:30am til 6pm. Then from 8pm til 7am this morning.
I woke up this morning and I still not 100% in my right eye. I can see staright ahead but I still have no peripheal vision. I am now starting to get worried. It's been two days and its still not right. I am thinking I need to go back to the doctor, or to the eye doctor. But I don't know which one to go to first. Any suggestions? Or has this happened to any of you?

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
well I've had migranes before and that does sound like what happens to me. I get a "waterfall" sort of thing way off to the side, sometimes left, sometimes to the right.

and it progresses to the partical loss of vision, like you have described... , then a pounding headache that gets worse and worse until I throw up... Then I sleep for 3 hours and the headache is gone and the vision returns mostly to normal, ususally takes a full nights sleep for the vision to be correct with me.

and Yes, reading, or watching TV, or anything that requres you to focus... that's what is the deal with me... it's like someone has something infront of one eye so you are seeing with one, and sort of half blacked out with the other, makes it nearly impossible to focus on anything specific.

I've never had it last more then a day, or really until I throw up and then sleep so not sure why it's lasting so long with you.

Did you get a headache?

Some people call it and "optical migrane"... I get the optical part but it's crushed out of existance by the headache that follows.

haven't had one in years, but when I was a kid in Jr. High... 2 - 3 times a month, all the way through high school.

some people say MSG will trigger them, others say dehydration can set it off.

if you didn't get the headache part, .... who knows, you may still have the migrane.

worst part for me was when I saw the waterfall... I knew it was comming and I didn't have any way to stop it... bleah.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
Could be a ton of things. Get to the Dr and dont let them rest until they get to the bottom of whats going on. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on whats going on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Possible TIA - or Not.

I used to get this 3 to 4 times a year. Always seemed to happen at work. This past March, I got another attack of the "sparkling wiggles" in my visual field. Only lasted a few hours. I was OK to drive home by the end of the work day.

Doctor visit a few days later and based upon my description it was daignosed as an "Opthalmologic Migrane" without the pain. Apparently, some blood vessels around or near the optic chiasma go into a spasm of sorts and interfere with the circualtion in this area affecting one or more eyes. The tip off is if you also see this manifestation with both eyes CLOSED.

Rest, sleep, next day fine. What concerns me with your episode is the slurred speech component. May have been a TIA or "transient ischemic attack" otherwise known as a mini-stroke. Not that there is anything you can do about it now. Yes, you should have a follow up and a definitive diagnosis. I would recommend an Opthalmologist - an MD specializing in the ocular, anatomic and neurophysiology of the visual system.

My opinion is that stress is a major factor in the precipitation of these events. In the end, if a TIA is ruled out, I think you'll be fine. Just watch the stressors in your life.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well made it to the dr. Did a basic eye exam, and I passed that fine. They then sent me to an optometrist, since all the opthlamogists were closed today. I got there, and they dialated my eyes, and she said that all looked fine. Still not sure as to what it could be. They then sent me back to the dr's office and we waited for the return phone call from the on-call opthamologist and eh did not seem that concered about it. I am to go see him first thing monday morning.

In regards to what had happened. It was not a slurred speech like what you see drunks talking like. It was just hard for me to gather my words. And it was very difficult to remember the things that my parents were telling me. When I talked to the dr about that, he said thats typical of migraines of this nature. I shall keep you all posted on what is going on in this situation. Thanks for the help

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Steve, get your ass to the Dr and have him check you for a mild stroke bro.

ASAP, Really bro.

That shit happened to my grandmother.
Let us know. Worried now.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
As everyone else said, don't wait...if you think something else is going on, then get a second opinion man...I hope you begin feeling better soon

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Have your family doctor do blood work/blood tets too soon.

I get the migraines that make me throw up once every 3 months last 2 years or so. Lasts all day at it's peak and I still feel the feects next day too.

A buddy was diagnosed with "suicide cluster migraines" or something with suicide clusters in it. Like the name implies, people either do or WANT TO commit suicide because the headaches are so bad. Thay were making him a different person and he had to be put on meds. His personality would change for a week or two when he was having the migraines. Was scary just to see it happening to him.

GL and keep us posted on how you are making out man. Hang in there.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went and saw the ophthalmologist yesterday. They ran almost identical tests as the optomirist. I passed all of them with flying colors. Other than not having the perepheral vision in that one area. He said that if it is not gone in the next few days that he will order an MRI/MRA. I did notice however that today it is slightly smaller of a blurry patch, and that I can start to make out movement and such in my right eye. So I think it is starting to get better. But like I said if it's not perfect by Friday, I am off to the MRI. It's been killing me these past few days since it has been about 75 and sunny out, and I so badly want to ride. I haven't ridden since Thurs. I think she is beginning to feel left out. I will keep you posted on what's happening. Hoping to be back on two in a few days.

Thanks for the thoughts/prayers and well wishes.
Greg

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Young man, I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but DON"T LET THIS PASS WITHOUT A PROPER DIAGNOSIS!!! I have Multiple Sclerosis and one of the first (and classic) symptoms was blindness episodes with no other side effects. They would last from an hour to all night. Like an idiot, I thought it was just nerves/stress (maybe "painless migraines"), so I let it go for six months :headshake. It took 3 months to diagnose me. At first, the docs thought it may be Lyme disease, which has similar symptoms to MS. Usually, an MRI of the brain will give them a good idea. If your regular docs can't figure it out, go to a good neurologist specializing in MS. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Best of luck!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had those symptoms..plus weakness in my left arm and eventually numbness in my left hand. Went to the ER and they said i was dehydrated which was nonsense, i was training for college cross country at the time and made sure to keep plenty hydrated. Then i went to a cardiologist. turns out I had a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)...or a mini stroke. I was baffled because i was only 21 at the time.

I don't know if you had any unusual weakness in your left extremities, but if you did i would suggest trying the cardiologist.

Best of luck to you man

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
i work in the med field, you need mri of your brain yesterday, probably an angio work up too and basically what they've ^ said is all very true, it's no laughing matter, a full workup would be highly recommended

1 - 20 of 39 Posts