Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I finally got a spare set of wheel for my track days.

I know powedercoat would be the best...but I prefer something cheaper, that I can do myself to go along my self made race theme.

Plus I don't mind repainting them every year if need be.

So how should I go about doing that?

I'll remove the disks brake etc. and mask the contact area and bearings.

But should I just sand it? or strip the paint...and whit what?, should I mask the inner lip where the tire are mounted?

What would be the best paint?

And most importantly what color???

I was thinking kawa green or plain white...it's to go with that...any other idea for color?

·
GEN II Driver
2,879 Posts
if you're going through all the trouble to prep for paint might as well powdercoat and do it right the first time. not that much and you'll love the quality compared to paint.

i like either green or white for wheel colors...

·
Registered
542 Posts
strip all the paint off and run the bare aluminum.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
Jimmy Jam Painted a set on his 06, he used PJ1 ceramic enamel, and I can vouch for that paint it is super tough, I used it on a set of engine case covers on my 9r and it lays on real nice and is super tough. He did like suzuki blue on his green bike, it looked good, maybe he can give you some tips on how hard it was, how much paint, prep etc.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jimmy Jam Painted a set on his 06, he used PJ1 ceramic enamel, and I can vouch for that paint it is super tough, I used it on a set of engine case covers on my 9r and it lays on real nice and is super tough. He did like suzuki blue on his green bike, it looked good, maybe he can give you some tips on how hard it was, how much paint, prep etc.
I'm hopping JJ will come by this thread...I've read most of his threads on wheels.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Still don't know how to strip the paint, what kind of paitn stripper is safe for these wheels?
my 2:2cents: is take them to someone who does media blasting, preferably plastic or garnett which will give them a great surface prep for the paint to adhere to.

BD

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well got my good front wheel today...so i'm ready for paint.

My paint guys says to do the following:

1- clean/degrease wheel

2- sand with 320

3- mask strategic places (rotor matting surface, tire contact surface)

4- paint with either epoxy (best), polyurethane (second best), enamel (third best)...he does not recommend the usual urethan base/clear coat that he carries, nor the 'ordinary' enamel (except maybe the engine enamel).

So finding some epoxy in can is going to be tought if not impossible... polyurethane might be easier...and the enalmel should be easy...will see...

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I had a buddy of mine who is a painter shoot my wheels Gloss black last year,but now I wish i had them powdercoated as the get rock chips pretty bad the only good thing is i can get black touch up paint anywhere to hide the nicks.
Now they set in the garage as I bought a set of anodized Cz wheels. FYI just keep yourself a bottle of touchup paint around in the same color you paint your wheels to take care of those knicks.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
been doin a bit of reading and studying...That dupli color stuff is not bad..Now i know nothing about painting but i did my rear seat cowl and it turned out ok..I was in to much of a hurry but it wasnt bad..
I have been thinkin on doin my wheels and some sorta paint scheme on my plastics..I dropped my 10 on the ferry last summer and got a few deep scratches in the plastic..Just gotta figure out how and what to fillem b4 i paint..I got my g/f's nail airbrush gun so i got some playin around ta do..After a bit of practice with some cheap water paint maybe ill do a good enough job on wheels and plastics..

To the fella who is painting his wheels..Try this site http://www.duplicolor.com/TV/index.html They have a product that helps paint adhere to the product you wanna paint..Some paints even have it in there..

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
so i painted my wheels. they came from the factory powder coated gun metal. i stripped the paint, BY HAND, using different metal brushes (brass, steel, etc) and Aircraft paint remover. it was a HUUUGE FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS. I literally spent 20+ hours just removing the paint from those things. the little cracks and crevices are a bitch to get into.

some better options would be either a media blaster or a dremmel. i, personally, would media blast that paint off using like pecan shells or pool sand. in fact, here is a thread, where i asked a similar question.

the relevant information starts on post #27.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47224

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The absolute best way to prep a part for PC is blasting, blasting with some sort of media be it glass, walnut shells, alum oxide, plastic or good ol sand, stripping with some liquid is not going to give the surface the etched needed for powder to adhere at its absolute best!!

No powder does not necessarilly need to be cleared but its a choice to do or not, heck a primer coat of powder can be done prior to the final coat as well and it gives the casted portion (spokes & inner hub/rim area) a much smoother finish.(which is what i had done to the red CBR wheels)

BD
some valuable info

1 - 20 of 21 Posts