Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to paint my gas tank on my gen4. What is the best way to remove the factory decals under the clear? Any idea what decals to use instead of the Ninja ones?

·
Registered
865 Posts
It was a bitch to remove and it left an impression left behind it. I used this rubber sticker remover wheel that you can put on a drill. And even that took a while. Then I had to sand it down to even it out. I wouldn't do it again if I had to do it again :)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I don't want to paint over it.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,973 Posts
Sand through them. No real good way otherwise that I'm aware of. I've heard of people using an exacto knife to cut the clearcoat around them and pull them off, but you still have to take most of the paint off anyway to prep the tank. I'm no expert though.

As for sticker ideas, how about this: :dontknow:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Just use liquid aircraft paint stripper on it. The clear coat will dissolve in minutes and then the decal wouldn't follow that far behind.

Any automotive parts supply should stock it.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,973 Posts
Just use liquid aircraft paint stripper on it. The clear coat will dissolve in minutes and then the decal wouldn't follow that far behind.

Any automotive parts supply should stock it.

That would work as well. Messy, but would work good.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have some stuff that might work. Soak some paper towels and let it sit.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you are preparing the tank for paint, it only takes a couple minutes with a d/a sander to make them disappear. I just went through this last week.

The decals are buried in clear coat which is why this can be such a pain in the ass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts