Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some blue parking lights from Superbrightleds, they proceeded to burn through 4 fuses. The worst part about it is that they share a fuse with the tailight so I have no brake lights when it goes.
I ended up putting the stock bulbs back in thinking that things would return to normal but after a short ride this morning I came home to find that another fuse had been blown.

My electrical knowledge consist of two things: how to change a bulb and how to change a fuse. I have now exhausted all my knowledge.

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a pic of the light I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Stock tail light? Sounds like maybe a wire is grounding out. Maybe something loose or worn through that is touching when you ride. OR a problem in tail light or wiring.

Put a fuse in and hit the brakes- hold them on- see if you can get it to blow that way.

If not maybe a loose or exposed wire? Slightly melted socket from blue bulbs?

Good luck

·
Registered
928 Posts
well we know one thing for curtain, u have a short to ground, or not enough resistance in the curcuit.

were the sockets melted like miami said?

are u curtain ur putting the right size fuse in there after replaceing with the stock bulbs

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
To add what the guys already said, the Lisence light is also in that circuit.

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tailight is all stock.
The licence plate light has been disconnected since day 1.
The sockets are fine and everything works perfectly everytime I change the fuse which is always the proper size.
I checked the wires in the tailight, no wires showing and I checked as much of the parking light wires as I could get to. I'll probablly have to take off the front fairing.
The only thing thats off is that when I put the led's in, half of one of them was burned out.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I'd go and check the license plate light lead cause it's easy.
When you disconnected it on day one, did you seal it off with elec tape or anything? Maybe it is grounding on something when hitting a bump, even though it's been fine all this time, that could be it.
Even if you had taped it, maybe the tape worked it's way off. You never know.

Weird about the half led thing. If it's not a wire grounding than maybe a resistor in the circuit stopped resisting and is over heating the fuse by allowing too much current through, as Project Zero suggested.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
You can also, disconnect the main harness connector for the headlight assembly. If you don't blow any more fuses after that then your shorts in there, if you still are blowing fuses most likely the rear tail, especially if I read you right that only half the LED are on, then you might have a bad tail light assembly causing an over current condition. Disconnect that tail light main connector first If you want and see if fuses still pop since that is the easier check. Good Luck

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thing is that everything works fine, usually for a few days or weeks. I turn the bike on and off to try and get it to blow but it won't. It waits untill I'm on the road. :headshake

I'm pretty sure the problem is up front because the first time I put led's in the fuse went out. The lights didn't even have a chance to come on making me think the bulbs were bad. On a hunch I checked the fusebox and found the problem.

Now where would these resistors be found?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
short to ground.just need to find it...Heat may play a role in the short.as you ride the bike heats up heat makes everything expand.Also there is alot of movment when your riding...either way it sounds like a short to ground.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
jstwkd1 said:
short to ground.just need to find it...Heat may play a role in the short.as you ride the bike heats up heat makes everything expand.Also there is alot of movment when your riding...either way it sounds like a short to ground.
I second that. Not even SURE there is a resistor in the loop.

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advise. I don't have to go back to work untill Monday so I have plenty of time to tear it down.

Not looking forward to it though. :sad:

O and I took your advise and put a little strip of electrical tape over the licence plate light connector.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Got the same bulbs but Bluuu....Did not have any problems.
I had done the same as you and disconnected the lic. I am sure you have
checked everything from top to bottom and I don't know. I will ponder on it
and hopefully get back.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Andy, tell me more abuot the LED's that were half out. You never answered me if it was the tail light LEDs or the front running lights which I don't know if they were bulb or LED types that you installed. I might be able to help with more info. I know you think the problem might be in the front side but sometimes inserting something bad can cause problems/damage else where in a circuit even if you do go back to normal. Just trying to see what you did exactly.

·
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's one of the new blue led's for the parking lights thats half burned out. I think that just recently happened but not sure.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Andy said:
It's one of the new blue led's for the parking lights thats half burned out. I think that just recently happened but not sure.

Ok, just got confused because you said you went back to normal :dontknow: but give all details no matter how trivial it may sound, just trying to prevent you from getting deep :thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Big Daddy said:
its a BLOO bike issue. :mrgreen:

BD

BD, I'm trying to work here :heyyou: :beer:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Big Daddy said:
you know me i'm always here to help, especially Andy.

BD

:postwhore

1 - 20 of 27 Posts