Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo 3 weeks ago I bought a leftover 2017 zx10r KRT edition, BEAUTIFUL bike. 1 week ago an old lady who blew a stop sign decided to blindside me and total it:dontknow:
Fortunately old hag who hit me's insurance is taking 100% fault so they're taking care of me.. but not really sure what to expect and wondering if anyone else has any experience with this

I got a quote for a total loss check for my bike for $600 more than I paid, which is cool and all but I can't find another good deal like that again so I'm stuck paying another $2k for a non-krt ABS 2018 which I think looks okay and all.. but let's face it the KRT edition is jawdropping

Her insurance, whom also happens to be mine (geico) is going to be giving me a pain and suffering settlement next week too.. realistically I'm not too roughed up. Got some road rash which hurts like a BITCH and a sprain on my knee & ankle but I'll recover just fine. Missed going into work for a day but I got paid anyways and just worked from home. Obviously I'm still in a bit of pain but all things considered I walked away pretty damn good.

I know no one can give me a surefire answer of course, but what kind of ballpark will I be looking at here? I know usually you can get an attorney and milk it but I don't really care to drag it out or take advantage, but I definitely want something reasonable for having to go through all that bs

·
Registered
57 Posts
Regarding the payment for your bike - insurance is supposed to make you whole, so if you are not getting an equal replacement for the money they are going to provide, you should talk to them. While it might be difficult to find a 2017 KRT edition that's new, the next closest choice is a 2018 and they should cover the entire cost as this makes you whole. Remember, it's not about what you paid. Most people don't realize they don't have to accept what the insurance offers.

I can't help with the pain and suffering thing - I don't have any experience there.

Sorry about the accident - glad you came out okay.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Where are you located?? The KRT edition bikes down here are the cheapest. I paid extra to get a white 17' - I could have bought a KRT for $1,500 less.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yeah, the OP asked a question about an insurance claim and wanting to replace his street bike and you're talking about race fairings. I guess I did miss your point.
Sure did bud... I was reflecting on his need for the KRT edition but hey since you're here... what's your input? Or did you just come here to troll on my comment..

·
Registered
670 Posts
Where are you located?? The KRT edition bikes down here are the cheapest. I paid extra to get a white 17' - I could have bought a KRT for $1,500 less.
The KRT's are in the same boat over here... I don't know if it's because they're "too" fancy or something (and maybe buyers would be turned off) but when I was browsing Gen5's just to see the resale value the KRT's were a grand or more less.

To the OP: If you don't want to get a lawyer and milk it like you say then there's nothing you can do further than accept what they give you. It's costing the insurance company thousands upon thousands of dollars just to review this case let alone pay everyone out so there going to give you an adequate P&S settlement (especially since you're a valued customer) so that way they don't lose your future business nor have to deal with any more time consumption & paperwork. It sounds like they're treating you pretty good so far so my guess is, historically, you're looking @ a few thousand dollars (less than 4 or 5). And did you miss work at all over the course of this because most insurances (and again you're a customer so you're slightly more entitled), will cover lost wages as well? When my family lost a store due to arson the insurance paid out lost wages fairly generously.

·
Registered
54 Posts
To the OP, sorry for your loss. There's still plenty of leftovers in CycleTrader. $11.5K for KRT ABS models if you're a little patient. But the shipping or airfare might add to that depending on where you live. You can save an additional $500 if you go non-KRT and $1500 for non-ABS, non-KRT. Be forewarned about dealer prep fees and other B.S. A local dealer offered a white 2017 priced as above but the dealer prep was $2K! Needless to say, I walked out of that shop and ended up with a black 2016. These bikes are an absolute steal at these prices! It seems you can't touch used for these prices.
Good luck-

·
Registered
119 Posts
The KRT's are in the same boat over here... I don't know if it's because they're "too" fancy or something (and maybe buyers would be turned off) but when I was browsing Gen5's just to see the resale value the KRT's were a grand or more less.

To the OP: If you don't want to get a lawyer and milk it like you say then there's nothing you can do further than accept what they give you. It's costing the insurance company thousands upon thousands of dollars just to review this case let alone pay everyone out so there going to give you an adequate P&S settlement (especially since you're a valued customer) so that way they don't lose your future business nor have to deal with any more time consumption & paperwork. It sounds like they're treating you pretty good so far so my guess is, historically, you're looking @ a few thousand dollars (less than 4 or 5). And did you miss work at all over the course of this because most insurances (and again you're a customer so you're slightly more entitled), will cover lost wages as well? When my family lost a store due to arson the insurance paid out lost wages fairly generously.
What are you talking about? The KRT is literally a color scheme. OP mentioned he likes the way it looks.

What is too fancy? And why are you talking about the OP swapping fairings for track when he makes no mention of it???

·
Registered
54 Posts
To the OP, sorry for your loss. There's still plenty of leftovers in CycleTrader. $11.5K for KRT ABS models if you're a little patient. But the shipping or airfare might add to that depending on where you live. You can save an additional $500 if you go non-KRT and $1500 for non-ABS, non-KRT. Be forewarned about dealer prep fees and other B.S. A local dealer offered a white 2017 priced as above but the dealer prep was $2K! Needless to say, I walked out of that shop and ended up with a black 2016. These bikes are an absolute steal at these prices! It seems you can't touch used for these prices.
Good luck-
Check that. Prices are dropping! (I wish there was a way to edit posts).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the input! I actually ended up picking up the Silver 2018 ABS just a couple hours ago and I think it actually looks way better in person than in pictures.. while I do prefer the KRT still I think the grey will grow on me ;)

I ended up spending about an extra ~$1400 after the difference I made from the total loss coverage. Considering I got a year newer and ABS I'd say that's pretty fair. Everyone who I've talked to told me I'll probably get a couple G's for an injury settlement.. in which case I'd be more than content.

And of course.. here's a picture!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks all for the input! I actually ended up picking up the Silver 2018 ABS just a couple hours ago and I think it actually looks way better in person than in pictures.. while I do prefer the KRT still I think the grey will grow on me ;)

I ended up spending about an extra ~$1400 after the difference I made from the total loss coverage. Considering I got a year newer and ABS I'd say that's pretty fair. Everyone who I've talked to told me I'll probably get a couple G's for an injury settlement.. in which case I'd be more than content.

And of course.. here's a picture!
I am glad to hear everything worked out for you.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Sure did bud... I was reflecting on his need for the KRT edition but hey since you're here... what's your input? Or did you just come here to troll on my comment..
There's nothing wrong with the OP having a preference for the KRT. That's his choice, just like it's your choice to spend a bunch of money to have multiple shops tune your bike.

OP, I'm partial to lime green myself but they nailed it with the silver color combo. Probably the best Gen 5 color scheme I've seen so far.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I hate people that fake injuries and milk the system, but in the same breath, don't shortcut yourself. You're going to have to repay taxes, tags, REPLACE YOUR GEAR...all that shit. I would have no problem itemizing up all that stuff and be like "Hey...this is what I need to break even and then some for my compensation for having to deal with all this bullshit"

I'm not saying you need a million dollars - but don't shortchange yourself either.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The KRT is definitely a fancy color scheme vs the other trims... They really toned things down for the SE and std models. The KRT fairings have kawi green, lime green, black, white, silver, and then the off-color red charge tube..

But, I'm not knocking it! I have it too and I love it. I'm just saying the KRTs around here are cheaper because I think the majority of buyers prefer simplistic color schemes. I mean look at the R1s, CBRs, the new GSXRs, Ducati... Kawi is one of the only ones out there taking risks with their fairing sticker design. Again I personally like it, and of course people here on the Kawi forum are gonna like it, but for someone walking into a dealer they're either gonna love it or hate it hence the price cuts on em.

OP you'll be happy either way! Really happy to hear the insurance took care of you. I haven't dealt with Geico but at least I know after reading this they quickly take care of their customers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
>> pi attorney <<

TJG312 <> I concur with SKYD, that manipulating the system unfairly is bullshit, but man, you need to get paid, fairly. Geico is going to pay you the absolutely least amount that they can get away with, and attorneys are mostly compensated by the "at fault's" insurance. Hope you got a PI lawyer to make sure you're taken care of.

In 2005, I was struck by a 77 year-old lady whom was driving the wrong way down a one-way street. I ended up in a coma on a respirator for a week with a subarachnoid brain hemorrhage... plus. She had minimum FL state required 10/10, and I only got paid $10,000 for a $100,000 hospital bill. The system screwed me as she had no assets to sue for, but man, you have no idea what injuries you will develop in the future from this accident. I strongly suggest a lawyer if you haven't already signed off Geico's liability.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TJG312 <> I concur with SKYD, that manipulating the system unfairly is bullshit, but man, you need to get paid, fairly. Geico is going to pay you the absolutely least amount that they can get away with, and attorneys are mostly compensated by the "at fault's" insurance. Hope you got a PI lawyer to make sure you're taken care of.

In 2005, I was struck by a 77 year-old lady whom was driving the wrong way down a one-way street. I ended up in a coma on a respirator for a week with a subarachnoid brain hemorrhage... plus. She had minimum FL state required 10/10, and I only got paid $10,000 for a $100,000 hospital bill. The system screwed me as she had no assets to sue for, but man, you have no idea what injuries you will develop in the future from this accident. I strongly suggest a lawyer if you haven't already signed off Geico's liability.
Damn dude.. really sorry to hear about your experience 13 years ago. Hope everything ended up working out okay in the end for you.

It's been a little over a month now since it happened and i'm 100% okay. Some of the road rash is still clearing up but there's no pain at all and probably just going to get a couple minor scars if anything.
They ended up offering me about $1100 to settle, and they were being pretty firm around there but I managed to get another $1200 out of it.
Ended up getting my old bike paid off + just under $3k extra between the total loss settlement + pain and suffering which more than paid for my new 2018 plus mods so I'm pretty content with how it all worked out

·
Registered
112 Posts
TJG312 <> Thank you for your sentiment. I made it out alive; the money was just a poke in the eye. Obviously, 'tis only I of whom is ultimately responsible for myself, and I could had paid for my own insurance (FL not required on bikes). Apparently, I learned if I had Uninsured Motorist on my truck, I could had filed a claim against that policy to pay for my hospital bill, but alas, I did not. I just didn't/don't have the income to afford both of those coverages, and ended up getting phucked in the long run. Price I paid.

I'm glad you're content with your settlement because you could had cleared exponentially more, but if you're content & happy, the system served you justly. :patriot:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts