Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tcxboots.com/usa/

Been wearing a pair of Oxtar SS Performance Riding Boots for about 2 years now. Below is my review:

The Good
First off, the price is good at $200 MSRP. The boots are very lightweight and very comfortable. They have excellent grip on the pegs (very important) and good feel. Also, the toe sliders are replaceable.

The Bad
After approximately 20,000 street miles, the leather covering the zipper on the left boot has not worn well. It is kind of bulged out in the middle and the leather is actually separating from the zipper a bit. It probably sticks out about a half an inch farther in the middle of the boot than it is supposed to. This is mostly a cosmetic issue, which is not noticeable if you ride with your jeans over the boots. There is a small chance that this could cause the boots to snag on your bike if you are wearing them over your suit. I personally have not had any issues with them snagging, but i would say that there is a possibility it could snag.

My biggest complaint with the boots is actually not specific to these boots, but all Oxtar/TCX boots. The shifter pad is rubber, so it is not hard like those on Sidi boots. The problem with this is that it wears out. After approximately 20,000 miles, the shift pad on my boot has a pretty big indention worn into it. It is quite a bit thinner than it was when new, and actually causes some discomfort in my toe if i ride a lot during the weekend. It actually takes a bit more effort to shift than Sidi boots. My Sato rearsets require a pretty good kick to shift compared to the stock setup.

Misc
These boots offer good protection for street riding, and probably for track too. But they definitely don't offer the same level of protection as higher end racing boots do. Because of this, they are lighter than most other riding boots i have tried on.

There isn't much venting in the SS Performance boots. This may or may not be an issue depending on your preferences. I live in Florida and I have never felt that the boots were too hot.

Verdict
If you are looking for good street riding boots, with decent protection, excellent comfort a good price then you should pick up a pair of the Oxtar/TCX SS Performance Boots. They can easily be found for much less than retail price on Ebay. I would highly recommend these boots to any street rider who enjoys the occasional track day.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
thanks for the write up. ill keep those in mind

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Also Oxtar is one of the few who will make them for larger feet. Gets hard if you wear a 13 or higher. I've had mine for 5 years now with little to no problems other than a little squeak in teh ankle when walking.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually replacing my SS Performance boots with a pair of Oxtar Evo RX boots i just won on ebay for $130. I'll post my impressions up when i get some good riding time with them.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
thank god for oxtar or my sasquatch feet would be riding in air jordans :) love em and at the rate they are holding up ill have em for quite a few more years

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far i am really liking the Oxtar Evo RX boots. I'll post up a review in the next few days

1 - 8 of 8 Posts