Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a new 08' ZX-10r last week and tonight I ran out of gas. What's unusual, is that I had a full tank of gas before I went riding and only had 90 miles on the tank when the bike ran out of gas. The low fuel light was only on for 5-8 miles when my bike completely shut off. I pulled over to the side of the road, waited 2 minutes and the bike started. The bike ran really rough; when I got the bike to the gas station there was still gas at the bottom of the tank, it only took 3.3 gallons of gas. Afterwords, on the ride home everything was normal.
My manual states that the low fuel light will only come on when the is .8 gallons of gas are left and that the tank capacity is 4.5 gallons.The bike only has 490 miles on it, and I am taking it in on Saturday for the 600 service. Any clue what the problem could be?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a pickup tube in the bottom of the tank? Just feels like its not sucking up that last gallon or the float screwed up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Found the issue

The issue with the bike is that the tank has rusted on the inside. The rust is either clogging the filter in the pump or the pickup for the fuel pump. It isn't ridable at this point.
I assume that the reserve light is working correctly and that the sediment is higher at the bottom of the tank; when the fuel level gets lower the pump sucks more in sediment from the tank stopping the flow of fuel. I just hope the dealer comes through in repairing the situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resolution to fuel issue

The dealer had to order a new tank which Kawasaki wouldn't warranty, stating the issue was from dealer neglect. The dealer picked up the tab and I got a new tank; Bike is running great.

Thanks for the assistance in trouble shooting.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
You had a new nike with under 500 miles on it and it came from the dealer with rust in the tank? glad you got it all worked out though and i guess stranger things have happened!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts