Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick of calling for tech support and getting someone in India.

My frustration usually starts with hearing the following... "Thank you for calling AT&T DSL tech support, my name is Sam, what can I help you with today?"

I know his name isnt Sam, and his accent and understanding of the english language are horrible. I have to repeat myself two and three times and get nowhere. Last time I called to see why my connection blows, "Max" told me that I should log into my modem. I did, right then the connection came back on and he said that I have to log in to my modem if I have problems. Amazing! Whenever I call to complain, the connection is fine. These fucktards are doing nothing more than following a flow chart.

"Sam" just called back and said "I have for a number for a trouble ticket for you to take in case you have a pencil for to write it down with". If they are going to have mental midgets taking my call, why not do it here. There are enough idiots without a command of the english language right in our own backyard!

"Sam" told me that a technician will troubleshoot the problem from the tech support site and will call if they cant resolve the issue. He also told me that I'll be getting a survey in the mail and "carefully take a minute of time for to fill it out and rate his level of service I am recieving". He asked if there was anything else that I needed... I told him to tell me his real name... He then repeated "this is AT&T customer service, you are speaking with Sam".

It's taken me 4 times to get this reply to take and his only help was for me to put some wood under my modem.

Simply AMAZING! :fu2:

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's great!!
I know the feeling exactly, try calling Symantec, or even Microsoft for that matter.

I really got chapped last month when I had a question about e-filing with Turbo Tax.

Needless to say my comment on the "survey" was that I expect to receive support from someone that actually files a tax return in the United States!

·
Registered
798 Posts
i hate loosing my job to outsourcing which my company is doing now ..

"within a year we will be laying of 1/3 to 1/2 of the employes"

im not at the top of the layoff list but im certainly not at the bottem

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just a sign of the times with everyone wanting cheap and willing to pay for it. It costs money to maintain US centric call centers. Not saying that many of the outsourced call centers can't handle the job but in my experience, I've had more let downs than help. What I have found that expedites and gets the issue resolved is to use any online chat feature a particular company might have. I've had more luck going this route than calling. Dell is one example where I will never call in again. I do it all via chat. The person on the other side which typically is someone at a foreign support center can be understood. A copy of the conversation is saved and forwarded to my email address so that there is a record of what transpired.

It's funny Dell had this issue with their business customers. They outsourced all their call support to India and heard it from pissed off business customers. Within a year or so, Dell moved all their business support back to the States.

For me as far as network gear goes, I'm slowly weening my way off of consumer grade/SMB equipment. I'm starting to replace my stuf with Cisco gear. I have personal contacts at Cisco who has provided nothing but exemplary service to me in my business interactions with them. I have 3 contacts over there that if they can't answer my question or get what I need, they'll escalate it so that it gets resolved....typically within a day or two. Now that's service.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I hate outsourcing of call centers too. We have complained about it since day one. People are already pissed cause they are having problems with their pc and now they have to deal with someone they can't understand. That makes the situation just peachey. We have to call the same call centers for help and i work for the company. Nothing makes you look more incompitent then having to repeat yourself several times just to get the tech support person to understand what you are having problems with. The biggest complaint i get from customers is havng to deal with our call centers and tech support. :headshake

·
Registered
424 Posts
Everyone needs to read the book "The World is Flat", it is all about outsourcing to cheaper, underdeveloped countries that are trying to evolve. Alls I can say is that it sucks but you will have to deal with it because it is not going to change atleast not anytime soon, wait till you are talking to asians man thats a real trip...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes, outsourcing isn't going away anytime soon.

But beyond the issues of communication, many people haven't seen the greater danger in this outsourcing trend. Many companies are now outsourcing data processing to third world countries. Yes, a lot of banks and accounting firms have facilities over in places like India where your private information is being kept. It's a travesty how companies here in the States can't get it straight with information security. Imagine what it's like out there. The big question would be how are security breaches and such managed at an outsourced location? What laws apply? Would US law prevail to hold people accountable? These have yet to be addressed and with other things being outsourced it's a real issue. Radiological services are starting to be outsourced as things like X-rays are now digital and can be sent via the internet for some radiologist in India to look over the charts. What happens with your data once it's been read there? Has the AMA thoroughly checked off the people there for competency? What about liability? Would malpractice suits have reach over there?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Insurance companies are also trying to outsource some surgeries. Fly you to another country to have the procedure done cheaper and fly you back to save them money. Pretty messed up.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Outsourcing like this won't go away, but some of it might come back (see Dell example above). Companies hear it when people complain about this. If enough people complain, and threaten to take business elsewhere, at least some companies will do something about it.

Our firm has stopped doing business with one particular large automotive supplier because they outsourced their accounts receivable/payable to Mexico, and despite us attempting to follow their convoluted procedures with the help of people on this end, that was pretty much the end of us getting paid. No money ... no further business. Eventually that one did get straightened out, but it was so much aggravation that we will now only deal with them via money up front or credit card payment up front. We will not go the usual business transaction route (purchase order / invoice afterward). I know that we weren't the only service provider to have these problems.

I've said this for years: the cheapest price is NOT the best value at the end of the day. People who shop around for the cheapest price, usually get what they deserve. I don't even quote jobs where I know the customer is only looking for the cheapest price. It's not worth my time to pursue them, and I have enough work anyway.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
hahahaha, i feel ya bro, i posted up here about Dell and their bozo's not understanding my siimpe question.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a call back last night from an American. He was in St. Louis. He said he'd been monitoring my line and saw the loss of sync. I called back today to the number he gave me and got another American. He said that he didnt understand the notes on my account. I said I didnt understand the tech support guy. He then told me that once the contract is up, those jobs are coming back to the states.

The AT&T tech came and cut out about 600 feet of line that wasnt needed. The static on my phone line is now gone and the DSL signal is improved. He was very friendly and worked for two hours to try to fix the problem. He couldnt guarantee that the repair would stick because the lines are old and there are a lot of splices because of people breaking the lines while digging. I guess the phone lines are everywhere around here. He said he was frustrated too that they tech support guy didnt know what was going on. I explained that I understood that they are trying but that the language barrier hurts more than it helps. He also said the jobs are coming back after the contract is up.

I was also impressed that when I called, I got a human right away. Two rings and he picked up. No automation WHATSOEVER!!! No spanish prompts, just english. I'm pleased.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Just wanna chime in for a second here. . How many of you shop at Wal-Mart?

If you raised your hand you need to back out of this thread because you are directly responsible for what is happening to this country!!!

SG

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Glad you got your service repaired. When AT&T bought us out we were told that most, if not all, contract jobs were coming back to AT&T employees.

And yes i hate walmart with a passion.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
That's good to hear ... as stated before, a reputation for crappy service gets around.

And no, I don't shop at Walmart either ...

·
Registered
911 Posts
ZX10 Guy said:
[It's funny Dell had this issue with their business customers. They outsourced all their call support to India and heard it from pissed off business customers. Within a year or so, Dell moved all their business support back to the States.]

YEAH but the thing is they hire the same indians and pakistanies to answer the calls I'm know I call last month and the same people can't understand a word:bs:

·
Registered
764 Posts
EAST-LOS said:
ZX10 Guy said:
[It's funny Dell had this issue with their business customers. They outsourced all their call support to India and heard it from pissed off business customers. Within a year or so, Dell moved all their business support back to the States.]

YEAH but the thing is they hire the same indians and pakistanies to answer the calls I'm know I call last month and the same people can't understand a word:bs:
They only brought back the call support to the States for business customers. Home users still have to deal with India call centers.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I hate to differ, but I just opened my first Microsoft ticket last week, and my success may be due in part by some sort of service level my company has, but the guys I dealt with in India absolutely rocked!

Not only where they 100% polite and professional at all times, but they made a point to restate my question whenever we moved to a new level in troubleshooting. I absolutely loved that part and will use it myself.

In the end Microsoft XP and Server 2003 still stink (cannot statically set the registry DWORD MTU decimal value unless you have PMTUD enabled, which means all traffic has the IP flag DF set... which stinks if you're running DMVPN and traditional VPNs with varying IPSec overhead), but I was very impressed with the support folks.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
lionheart said:
That's great!!
I know the feeling exactly, try calling Symantec, or even Microsoft for that matter.

I really got chapped last month when I had a question about e-filing with Turbo Tax.

Needless to say my comment on the "survey" was that I expect to receive support from someone that actually files a tax return in the United States!
Hate to break it to you but the IRS sends tax returns down to India to be processed and checked.......

Did you hear about the state senate bill in calif that wants to give 500 to every new baby born in calif...they claim it will give an incentive for saving..perhaps in time these will be able to man the help desks:eyecrazy:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts