Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I installed a quick shifter from Healtech on my 2007 10R. Bike started and ran fine. Cleaned the air filter while I was under the hood. Bad weather came and bike sat for two weeks. Tried to start it yesterday morning, turned key, everything normal, starter fired a couple times, then the lights go out.

Now, when I turn the key, the power oscillates, then comes on and butterflies open. Flip switch to on and lights go out.

Any ideas what is going on here? This is still happening after removing the quick shifter. No codes.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only other mods that I think really matter are Healtech ATRE, 35W HIDs, and PAIR valve removal.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would have the battery tested, to ensure there is not a bad cell. It can take a charge and show full voltage but crap out under a load.

Just to be clear when you oscillate like the lights on the dash flicker?

Also I would triple check all connections, to the battery and around.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Yup battery. Duhastme beat me to it. That sounds exactly like how it happens, just bam. Was gonna ask how old the batter is?

Edit - and yea, when she acts all dicombobulated with the flashy dash lights it a good indicator of bad battery. Probly just coincidence is making you think its quickshifter related. Bet a new battery sorts things.

Reactions: Duhastme

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup battery. Duhastme beat me to it. That sounds exactly like how it happens, just bam. Was gonna ask how old the batter is?

Edit - and yea, when she acts all dicombobulated with the flashy dash lights it a good indicator of bad battery. Probly just coincidence is making you think its quickshifter related. Bet a new battery sorts things.
Well damn. It's like 3 years old, but it's a shitty Bike Master battery. I suppose I'll just get a new one, something better. I'm also making sure there is no water in the ignition switch and fuse boxes.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I have a lightweight Antigravity in my 636 that has not even been touched for 3 seasons and is going good - ill get a charger for it soon though. But i think for the 10r im gonna stick with Yuasa for the time being until i can pony up for another Antigravity. Mike has a good price on Yuasa's.

Edit - had a dang Yuasa in a bike trouble free for nearly 5 years at one point, but kept it on a trickle charge and took care of it too.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I was figuring I'd just give Mike a call about a Yuasa. Can't really go wrong there, and I'm no Rossi. If I want to save wait, I just take a big shit before I go ride.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just pulled the trigger on a Yuasa AGM battery from Mike at Rider's Discount. Thanks for the great deal Mike!

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
I'd disconnect the HIDs and try it. When the converter boxes turn on with those they suck a bunch of current and dip the battery voltage and you can get into that cycle. Try unplugging them and see what happens. You might need to install a switch so the are only turned on once the bike is started.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd disconnect the HIDs and try it. When the converter boxes turn on with those they suck a bunch of current and dip the battery voltage and you can get into that cycle. Try unplugging them and see what happens. You might need to install a switch so the are only turned on once the bike is started.
:+1: I got rid of HID's on mine cuz the trip meter would reset while trying to start. I was gono buy a new battery but had the old one checked and stress tested and the fella wouldn't sell me a new battery saying there is nothing wrong with the old one. Removed HID's and never had the problem again. Never got around to installing the HID's back on with a switch but that is the way to go. I suspect that with other added electronics the extra draw from the HID's is what tips the balance.

·
Registered
581 Posts
While I completely agree with what is said here, most of the time HID's should not drop a good running battery down far enough to not start. He also stated he installed the QS and the bike started fine and ran no problems. That points to the battery since it sat for 2 weeks. Now if it were me, I would push start the bike go for a high reving cruise around for about 30+ miles. The drive usually gets the battery enough charge to use the starter after. I have had batteries last me a year or two longer that way.

Disclaimer: it can also leave you stranded at the worst possible times (raining makes it really hard to push start lol) :badteeth:

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
While I completely agree with what is said here, most of the time HID's should not drop a good running battery down far enough to not start. He also stated he installed the QS and the bike started fine and ran no problems. That points to the battery since it sat for 2 weeks. Now if it were me, I would push start the bike go for a high reving cruise around for about 30+ miles. The drive usually gets the battery enough charge to use the starter after. I have had batteries last me a year or two longer that way.

Disclaimer: it can also leave you stranded at the worst possible times (raining makes it really hard to push start lol)
I wouldn't guarantee that's the problem, it's just something that changed so that's where I'd start troubleshooting. Maybe the battery just went south? My bikes have sat for 3mos straight sadly from time to time and still fire right up.

Only way to know is to start trying things.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HIDs were installed over a year ago, that's why I don't see them all of a sudden becoming a problem.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
the transformers go south and things start going weird....

my experience...... motorcycles with oem lights.

sport tourers is another story.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I wouldn't guarantee that's the problem, it's just something that changed so that's where I'd start troubleshooting. Maybe the battery just went south? My bikes have sat for 3mos straight sadly from time to time and still fire right up.

Only way to know is to start trying things.
Yep totally agree with you, start eliminating simple things is always a great start.

HIDs were installed over a year ago, that's why I don't see them all of a sudden becoming a problem.

Did you happen to throw a battery in her yet? If so did this fix the issue?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts