Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well orderd some goodies today, the Kawasaki cam and headgasket, powercomander and quick shifter. Guess I'll be tearing my motor out next weekend! Think I will do a dyno run now and then after to see the difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
did the same mod. I got the thin gasket, valves adjusted, pc III, performance cams, quick shifter, bmc race, and a akra slip on. I'm getting the dyno this cold ass winter

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
odog if you get on a dyno ask them to give you the sea numbers. then it doesnt matter the weather.

Reactions: mach_man_187

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
ODog said:
did the same mod. I got the thin gasket, valves adjusted, pc III, performance cams, quick shifter, bmc race, and a akra slip on. I'm getting the dyno this cold ass winter

Who is doing the dyno work? I live about 40 miles South of ya....Just curious...

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
ODog said:
You have all the motor work done but only a slip-on? Talk about choking all the work you've done.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
:+1:

Once you get into the engine like that, you gotta get a full system. The oem headers are pretty good nowadays, but they are still a restriction with mods like you've done.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also just have a slip-on (FMF) And I'm going to see what kind of power I get first before going to a full system. Not as much power there as some mu=ight think, stock headers are pretty damn good anymore. If I go to a full system my Bronze FMF will be for sale and I will go with a brock hindle.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
You might not get the 15+ hp from a system like a few years ago. But like 1killer1liter said, why put more air into the motor and have it choked by the relatively restrictive stock header and collector. I'm not saying you won't see a power increase with the stock one, but I guarantee you'll get more with a good aftermarket one. And after spending all the $$ for cams, gasket, labor if you have it done, a custom map, etc. why not spring for a full exhaust.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
How reliable is the thinner head gasket? Assuming you can keep 93 octane in it, is the bike still streetable with this mod? Or will you only get a few thousand (few hundred??) mi. out of the engine before a rebuild?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
a full system consists of head pipes along with an 's' bend all the way to canister where as a slip-on simply slips onto the OEM pipe @ some point and does not include head pipes. In many cases the head pipes on aftermarket full systems are designed with a steady taper (small to big) as they exit the head and eventually end up with a larger OD than its OEM counterpart as part of the performance increase.

BD

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
When I did the head gasket it was with a slip-on and the power increase was all in the midrange. I, a month later, added a full system and it made the top end match the midrange. The cams you all have added will have already increased your top end some 3-6 hp adding the headers will just keep giving more power to the top end. The bike will be sick above 8k rpms.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
SuicideMachine said:
How reliable is the thinner head gasket? Assuming you can keep 93 octane in it, is the bike still streetable with this mod? Or will you only get a few thousand (few hundred??) mi. out of the engine before a rebuild?
Should be no problem on pump gas. I'm running nearly 4 degrees of mechanical advance and the bike loves midgrade fuel. No pinging and more pwr than with higher Octane.

When i have my valves checked/ adjusted I'm putting the gasket in. Figure I'll be about half way there on labor anyway. Keeping cams and their timing stock. I want my gains in the midrange.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts